Profile for Robert Braddock > Reviews

Content by Robert Braddock

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Robert Braddock

The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
by Gregor Kiczales
Price: CDN$ 56.00
24 used & new from CDN$ 48.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, but fell short of my expectations, Jan. 29 2002
This was a disappointing purchase for me, as I read some of the book on-line (in CMU-CL's "Encycmuclopedia") and was rather stunned at the beauty and possibilities of the MOP (which, in short, is defining the core object system itself in terms of the object system, allowing you to use the full power of the object system class hierarchy/relationships to control your object semantics). The book is a pretty straight forward implentation discussion, which is certainly nice as a case study in implementing such an interrelated system and boot-strapping the MOP into use, but it is only that. The MOP is one of those perfect ideas with such vast potential that I would much rather have seen actual expressions of that potential instead of mere inner working details. If I'd know that, I would not have bought it--but then neither will I be selling my copy.

Magic Users Club: V.1 I'll Follow You! (season 1, ep.1-2)
Magic Users Club: V.1 I'll Follow You! (season 1, ep.1-2)
Price: CDN$ 27.03
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, Jan. 29 2002
Lots of people like this series, but I can't personally call it better than "mildly amusing." In fact, it's generally so "fan service" and insipid humor based that it's barely even watchable. If you like "Those Who Hunt Elves" you'll probably like this. If not, don't plan on being able to stomach this more than once at best. Buyer beware.