Reviews

Content by A Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Reviews Written by A Customer
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Cry Cry Cry
Cry Cry Cry
Price: CDN$ 14.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 14.60

5.0 out of 5 stars All star team blending beautifully together, May 26 2000
This review is from: Cry Cry Cry (Audio CD)
Nice job. Cold Missouri Waters is the unforgettable tale of a firefighter in a disaster, and I mean unforgettable. Speaking With The Angel is so powerful and tender, about an innocent baby. Lord I Have Made You A Place In My Heart offers us a unique relationship between man and creator. By Way Of Sorrow may be my favorite on a strong CD, bringing to mind the sorrows we've all gone through. I Know What Kind Of Love This Is is a rather pathetic lyric (not bad pathetic, sorrowful pathetic) about a wallflower of a girl who decides to allow herself to be used by a popular boy who cares nothing for her. Ballad of Mary Magdalen is probably the most memorable song on the record, along with Cold Missouri Waters, with a chorus of Jesus loved me this I know...., the love she is speaking of being meant quite literally, as Mary complains that the tenderness she shared with Jesus has become a heresy. There is even a funny line in the song, if I understand it correctly, when Ms Magdalen says "It was his career or mine". I don't know if it was meant to be funny.

End of the Summer
End of the Summer
Price: CDN$ 14.99
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.69

4.0 out of 5 stars The troubled Dar, May 23 2000
This review is from: End of the Summer (Audio CD)
Dar is troubled in many of the songs here. She believes her friend wouldn't write back to her once she revealed her true self, though I don't know why. I'd write back to her. The vacation and friendship she was looking forward to disappointed her in Road Buddy. The poor protagonist in It's A War In There is mentally unhealthy, the war being internal. Dar's concluding song, Better Things, puts on a happy face to reassure us of our great things to look forward to, and this in itself is sad as it assumes we need reassurance. The end of the summer represents a sad time, a time of endings, the end of good times. Actually I love the autumn, my favorite season, much happier than stifling summer. Bought And Sold is a right-on-target political statement about America, arms supplier to the troublemakers of the world. My Friends is the most beautiful and poignant gem on the record. But my favorite lines come from her visit to her shrink in What Do You Hear In These Sounds. "I am like East Berlin. I had this wall, and what I knew of the free world was that I could see their fireworks and I could hear their radio. And I thought that if we met, I would only start confessing, and they'd know that I was scared, they would know that I was guessing. But the wall came down, and there they stood before me, with their stumbling and their mumbling and their calling out just like me." We think we are the only imperfect ones, but all those we assume are so together are stumbling and mumbling. That is so cool.

Bruce Lee's Fighting Method, Vol. 2
Bruce Lee's Fighting Method, Vol. 2
by Bruce Lee
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.32

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more substance, April 12 2000
There's really not a lot here. We learn a thing or two about Bruce Lee's fighting stance and workout methods, but I had higher hopes for this book. He writes about his vertical fist punch, delivered like a fencer. But this thin book left me pretty unsatisfied.

Pieces of You
Pieces of You
Price: CDN$ 8.34
123 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Poet with a social conscience, March 9 2000
This review is from: Pieces of You (Audio CD)
The title cut Pieces of You is a powerful attack against bias crimes victimizing homosexuals and Jews, and also addresses men's attitudes about attractive and unattractive women. I was surprised to hear her speak up for Jews, and really pleased. I agree with her philosophy that the things we hate about other people are the things we hate about ourselves, though that's only a partial answer. We also hate those who are completely unlike ourselves, which is, I think, why Germans and Jews didn't get along in Germany, authoritarianism vs. individual human rights.

16 Biggest Hits
16 Biggest Hits
Price: CDN$ 8.00
10 used & new from CDN$ 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the two greatest male country singers of all time, March 1 2000
This review is from: 16 Biggest Hits (Audio CD)
Maybe #1 of all time. But Don Williams has an incredible voice and delivery. You have to hear, if you havent already, George Jones singing He Stopped Loving Her Today. If you cry at movies you'll cry at this. This is one country singer who sure wasn't made out of a cookie cutter. That song is the most emotional I've heard, by the most emotional singer I can think of. Another favorite on this album is about a conversation with Elvis and Fred Flintstone. Yabba dabba doo, the king is gone, and so are you (George's wife).

Allnighter, the
Allnighter, the
2 used & new from CDN$ 98.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute vehicle for Susanna, Feb. 29 2000
This review is from: Allnighter, the (VHS Tape)
First of all, Leonard Maltin's review on this site is inaccurate. It's not about 3 airheads, and there's not that much sex in it "in the AIDS era". Susanna sure doesn't play an airhead, as you'll agree if you see the movie. My complaint with this movie is that it's light on plot, it's just not that great a movie. But it's nice to see Susanna, who can clearly slide right from a music career to a movie career like Cher did. For someone who's not an actress, she carries the movie and does a good job. Beautiful as she is, and with pretty girls all over the movie, it's odd to me that the movie is clearly from the point of view of a girl, focusing on how good looking the guys are, with the beauty of the girls played down. At one point, on a public beach, Susanna is stuffing her bra to look like Dolly Parton. As if she's just a skinny unattractive girl wishing for some attention. Her beauty is of the "class" and makeup variety instead of the all-out sex appeal type, in this movie. Yet as always she has the magnetic power of the North Pole on guys. A girl can watch the movie and say she's not the prettiest one in it, she's not "all that", and meanwhile a guy has lost his heart to her. I think something or other happens in the movie, I don't really remember.

Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music
Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music
Offered by CAMusicFiendz
Price: CDN$ 17.63
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars 25 songs by different artists, Feb. 17 2000
My favorites are Been It by the Cardigans, Falling in Love by Lisa Loeb, Eternal Flame by Susanna Hoffs, Building a Mystery by Sarah McLachlan, and What Do You Hear In These Sounds by Dar Williams. You already know at least two of them, though not in these live versions. Been It sounds like past life regression to me, about all the relationships she's been to him. Falling in Love says "the time between meeting and finally leaving is sometimes called falling in love", so it's a sad song about separating. What Do You Hear In These Sounds is about visiting a shrink (if you start to run dry, try the other parent). Susanna and Sarah are two of my favorites. Jewel doesn't do her own song on the album, but teams with others on one.

Calypso
Calypso
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 39.71
6 used & new from CDN$ 35.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Belafonte, Feb. 17 2000
This review is from: Calypso (Audio CD)
When I think of Belafonte I don't think of a greatest hits album, I think of Calypso. It was a monster hit album when it was new. It has Day-O (which for some reason is played at Yankee Stadium apropos of nothing) and the sad and beautiful Jamaica Farewell. When my oldest daughter was young she always used to ask why he left his little girl in Kingston Town. You also may want to pick up a Belafonte album with Danny Boy on it. It's not here, and it's amazing.

THE FAMILY MOSKAT
THE FAMILY MOSKAT
by Isaac Bashevis Singer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
16 used & new from CDN$ 2.82

3.0 out of 5 stars A dark story of Polish Jews at a bad time in history, Feb. 16 2000
The story takes place in the first half of the 20th century, a bad time to be a Polish Jew. We know that the Nazis are right around the corner. This is not a story of Nazis, though. It's about the very active but painfully confused lives of Jews caught in between traditionalism and the modern world. Warsaw is as lively as New York's Lower East Side when it was throbbing with the vitality of Jewish immigrants. The main character of this book, Asa, is a young man whose grandfather was a revered rabbi, but who doesn't really believe in anything himself. His personal life is shattered, not only by traditionalism, but by his own modern faults. It's a good book but it's something of a train wreck, which is why I don't give it 5 stars.

Ramonesmania
Ramonesmania
Price: CDN$ 17.55
55 used & new from CDN$ 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Very educational, Feb. 9 2000
This review is from: Ramonesmania (Audio CD)
What a great record, packed with 30 songs. We are given the sage advice to beat on the brat with a baseball bat. In Commando we get more useful instruction about salami. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend is a great song, direct and sweet. Needles and Pins is a great cover. Blitzkrieg Bop is another favorite. But the song I like best is Bonzo Goes To Bitburg. It's great musically and lyrically. Crank it up loud! For people who don't have a lot of Ramones albums, you really have to get this greatest hits compilation. They got almost no airplay in my area until some station belatedly picked up I Wanna Be Sedated, which opens the album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8