ARRAY(0xb29563fc)

Profile for Anthony A. Coscia > Reviews

Content by Anthony A. Coscia

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Anthony A. Coscia (Newtown, CT)

Hitachi C10FSH 10 -Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser
Hitachi C10FSH 10 -Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Saw, June 19 2003
I purchased this saw today after weeks of shopping around. It seems that all of the contractors I spoke with have the 8 inch Hitachi slider and swear by it. I was looking for a bit more capacity but with the same reliability, accuracy and the advantage of a laser guide. This saw is extremely well made and accurate out of the box. While it has a bit more plastic than it's 8" counterpart it is still made like a tank at less weight than the competition(44lbs I believe). The slide, bevel and miter functions are all smooth and the preset angles are easy to set but not to stiff that they don't allow you to set angles close to the presets without accidentally "clicking" into them when tightenned. The fence seems to be improved over previous models and is a bit higher. It will also flip out for longer workpieces. As for the laser guide, I was skeptical of their accuacy but I couldn't be more wrong. It was dead on out of the box and easily adustable depending on you personal preferences. Some people seem to have complained that the laser line disappears as soon as the blade is lowered, but it is so accurate that it doesn't matter. Once you match your laser to your line, there is no need to follow it through the actual cut.
There is not one flimsey piece on this tool. While not overly heavy, it is very solid. The only drawback to this saw that I can see is the relatively small table area. If however weight and portability is important to you, this could be seen as an advantage. The standard blade is acceptable but the 72 tooth blade that comes as a "bonus" is excellent. Some people have complained about the dust collection. I found it to be adequate but not great. In all fairness, I have never had a tool with a system that was much better. I have heard that the rear rubber blade guard (to aid dust collection) has problems when using a powerful vac. for the collector but I have not tried that yet. If you are looking for a slide compound miter saw with a laser, this is the only one as of now. Compared to other quality 10" sliders, the Hitachi C10-FSH is priced towards the high end of the scale at between $499 and $530 but based on my initial impressions, worth every penny.