Profile for Lynda K > Reviews

Content by Lynda K

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lynda K "lyndak" (BURLINGTON, ONTARIO Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Coyote Medicine
Coyote Medicine
by Lewis Mehl-Madrona M.D.
Price: CDN$ 13.71
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, May 9 2014
This review is from: Coyote Medicine (Paperback)
Dr. Mehl-Madrona travelled a difficult path between western and native medicine. His story is both uplifting and grounded. I feel honoured to have shared his path through his writings.
I have always been drawn to native american stories especially those about coyote and really enjoyed those retold in the book. Many years ago I read about some of coyote's adventures (in grade four or five) and have tried to find the books I read as a child but without any luck. In the book Lewis mentions coyotes are in every state except Hawaii. Coyote is a trickster and usually finds a way to go or get what he wants. So I found it interesting that Lewis ends up in Hawaii. Maybe that is just where coyote wanted to go.

Bound and Determined
Bound and Determined
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty hot, Dec 10 2013
I didn't know the author was also Shayla Black. I only found that out when I went to review the book. I picked up a paperback copy and Shelley Bradley was the author listed on the cover.
The plot is listed on the cover and in other reviews so I won't go into that. Both characters were very likeable and the chemistry sizzled between them (I am surprised my book didn't spontaneously combust :)) If you get beyond the outrageous beginning to the book (kidnapping? really?) and the fact he helped her instead of throwing her in jail (but where would the book be if he did that?)it was a great read. I didn't guess the culprit until the end as all three of the suspects behind framing her brother looked guilty as sin and at other times innocent. I'm hoping there is a sequel featuring her brother. It's a fun read that leaves you wanting more.
I had this on my "read and then donate" pile. I read it but don't think I will be donating it anytime soon.

The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation
The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation
by Elizabeth Letts
Price: CDN$ 13.72
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a movie, Aug. 30 2013
I picked this book up on a whim. It looked interesting. There are some parts that the author goes into a little to much detail about the ins and outs of the jumping circuit at the time. The most riviting and emotional are the interactions between the owner of the horse and Snowman. After Snowman wins a few ribbons,there was an offer to buy him from one of the rich horsemen at the show (Firestone) There are not many men who would turn down over 10 times the annual salary of a working person but Harry does just that stating simply "My children love him".
This horse was slated for the slaughterhouse. He was on a truck ready to go when he was saved by Harry. At the school Harry worked at Snowman was used when giving lessons to students on how to ride. It was only after the school year when Harry sold Snowman (with an option to buy him back if it didn't work out) that Snowman showed his true colours as a Jumper. He didn't want to leave his "family" or Harry. Never having shown any skill as a Jumper this older, well used plow horse, jumped fences to get back home several times before Harry bought him back. From that moment on Snowman had his family.
Snowman lived during hard times for the average working man. Snowman was not pretty and looked very out of place with the other horses he was competing against. But he had that something that a lot of the other horses didn't have.....heart. He was the people's favorite.
There was an option to make Snowman's and Harry's story into a movie. It was never made. It should have been.

Dire Wants: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan
Dire Wants: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan
by Stephanie Tyler
Price: CDN$ 8.99
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, Jan. 30 2013
I found there was lots going on in this book as the storyline was getting more complex. Tyler writes very much in the style of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. I would definitely recommend reading this series in sequence. The first book is Dire Needs. The main story was Stray and Kate but a lot more was developing with Jinx, Rogue, Vice and Killan to name a few. It all works. I really got further into the story and can't wait to see what happens next. Kate is a witch, but had no idea until the "bad guys" made a play for her. She called for her familiar (sort of in an I really don't believe this kindof way)and Stray answered the call. Stray was looking for a witch and she found him. That got them together; and in spite of Kate's rapid intro into the super natural world she never new about and Stray's resentment at being a familiar they clicked. I finished the book in one night wanting more. I think the next book in the series comes out in June of 2013. Her books are now "keepers" on my shelves and I know I will be reading them again albeit at a slower pace now I know what happens :).

Dire Needs: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan
Dire Needs: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan
by Stephanie Tyler
Price: CDN$ 8.54
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing, Jan. 30 2013
Stephanie Tyler grabs you from the get go. She's created a world and characters to rival both J.R. Ward and Kresley Cole. I literaly could not put the book down. Gwen and Rifter are smoking hot and their story brilliant. I can't write a "this happens and then that happens" review. The book is more than that. Not only was I rooting for Gwen and Rifter but I am hooked on knowing the outcome and what happens to all the secondary characters in this story. As a matter of fact, I am writing this after reading the second book in the series Dire Wants. I read this one last night and even though I told myself I would wait till the weekend and read the second book....did not happen. Pick this book up, you will not regret it. Just make sure you have a couple of hours as you will not want to put it down.

Slow Heat
Slow Heat
by Lorie O'Clare
Price: CDN$ 9.49
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

3.0 out of 5 stars good chemistry, well written, one really bad plot twist, Dec 6 2012
This review is from: Slow Heat (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the chemistry between the two characters. They truly were scorching together. I really enjoy Lorie O'Clare's books. However, I just can't get past the fact Micah killed a cop. One of the good guys, even though it was a mistake in judgement on his part. It didn't add to his bad boy image. He didn't even seem that remorseful over that particular deliberate killing. Yes he did come to see himself in another light, and felt remorse. He thought he was taking out the people trying to kill his girlfriend. It just seemed to me that action was glossed over. At one point he stated he didn't want to go to prison. Well along the same line I bet the officer didn't want to die. If Micah almost killed the officer, and at that point realized he shouldn't be judge and executioner, then I would have given the book 5 stars.

Primal Law: An Alpha Pack Novel
Primal Law: An Alpha Pack Novel
by J.D. Tyler
Price: CDN$ 8.54
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.57

5.0 out of 5 stars great new series, May 13 2012
I picked up this book as J.D. Tyler also writes as Jo Davis and I liked her firefighter series. I agree with a reviewer on Amazon.com the development of Kira's character could have been fleshed out a bit more. However, as the first book in a series a lot of story development is going on behind the scenes so I still gave the story 5 stars as she already has me hooked on the series. I could understand Kira staying with Alpha squad as the alternative would be her hunted down by a former employer for the rest of her probably very short life. Jax is a wounded and betrayed former navy seal now shifter operative. His character is the more believable of the two. Kira's first meeting with "blue" and his sudden release was the only real "what just happened here?" moment in the book. I think Kira's empatic nature should have been emphasised more to make that scene more believable. Having said that, I am looking forward to "Blue's" story....heck, I am looking forward to all the Alpha squad's story. When I read Primal Law I was reminded of Alexandra Ivy, Christine Feehan (Ghostwalker series) and Lara Adrian's books. I've already picked up Savage Awakening and I am looking forward to her next Alpha pack release in December 2012. Pick the series up, you won't be sorry.

Never Again: Wizards of Nevermore
Never Again: Wizards of Nevermore
by Michele Bardsley
Price: CDN$ 9.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars hidden gem, April 29 2012
After the betrayal of his first wife, Gray turns her younger sister away when she asks for his protection. He starts to feel guilty so he goes after her to make sure she is okay. He realizes Lucy is both courageous and broken. Together Gray and Lucy form a bond and start to heal each other. A rotten mage and a wannabe Guardian have Gray and Lucy in their sights. A great ending, hot couple, and secondary characters that leave you wanting more. Of course now I need to find the next book in the series "Now or Never".

Dating a Cougar: Book One of Never Too Late Series
Dating a Cougar: Book One of Never Too Late Series
by Donna McDonald
Price: CDN$ 13.00
18 used & new from CDN$ 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars very hot, Feb. 19 2012
Casey is 38 and an ex-marine, Alexa is 50, owns her own business and a successful formal model. Dispite family complications on both sides, sparks fly. Alexa is the only one that really has a problem with the age difference. The characters so believable you'd like to have them as friends and definitely want to read more once the book ends. Luckily there are more books in the series. (Lauren is amazing, slightly scary, but amazing, read book 3 and see for yourself). I purchased this book for my ereader, although if there was less of a price difference I would have purchased the book.

Cheyenne: The Complete First Season
Cheyenne: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Clint Walker
Price: CDN$ 11.99
30 used & new from CDN$ 9.06

5.0 out of 5 stars best western series ever, Jan. 28 2012
I remember watching Cheyanne when I was a kid. I've purchase the first season and I wish all season's would be released. When Cheyanne was on the scene he was a man that you knew "had your back". Loyalty, friendship, justice .... a true hero. For all that, he came off as just a man trying to live his life by his own code in a very dangerous time. It was his willingness to go the extra mile for a friend or to right an injustice that kept the audience coming back for more. I read somewhere there were seven seasons, if that's true come on release them already!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6