ARRAY(0x108e8984)

Profile for Jilly the Reader > Reviews

Content by Jilly the Reader

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jilly the Reader (Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett
Price: CDN$ 17.24
186 used & new from CDN$ 0.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, Oct. 6 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed 'the help'. It was difficult to put down. The story was beautifully written and had me both laughing and crying, but mostly cheering for Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter. I look forward to this author's next work.

Under the Dome: A Novel
Under the Dome: A Novel
by Stephen King
Price: CDN$ 25.07
68 used & new from CDN$ 8.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, Aug. 5 2010
I recently read The Stand which I found on a list of the 100 best books of all time. Although I didn't quite get what was so fantastic about that book, I was intrigued by the new work of Stephen King Under the Dome. While I appreciate that the contents were very far fetched and somewhat sci-fi, I really enjoyed this book. I suppose it has the same premise as The Stand (good v. bad) but the multiple tragedies experienced by the `good people' and the ease with which the mayor unethically took control kept me interested. Although I thought the end was extremely far fetched, it was definitely tragic and as such, will make the book memorable for me. If you have seen the movie The Mist (which was based on a Stephen King short story), you can see how good he is at making you care for some characters while despising others, and relishing their deaths when their time has finally come to and end. This is also true with Under the Dome.

Learn Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Adobe Premiere Elements 8 by Video
Learn Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Adobe Premiere Elements 8 by Video
by Phil Hawkins
Price: CDN$ 42.83
16 used & new from CDN$ 23.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy, Aug. 5 2010
I received Photoshop Elements as a gift. Previously, I was using a very old version of Microsoft Picture It. However, having been used to a different product, I was quite unsure how to go about getting started with Elements. I purchased this CD as well as a book on Elements. I found the videos on the CD to be very helpful. I haven't finished watching all of the videos, but I have seen quite a few hours worth. Now I know the function of all of the buttons, I understand how to organize my photos, and I have had a relatively simple time editing my photos ever since.

After reading over the book I had purchased and comparing it to the CD, I realized there are a few editing techniques that are not discussed in the videos. However, for a beginner, I think the videos were extremely helpful and I am definitely glad I have it available to me any time I need it.

Last Night in Twisted River
Last Night in Twisted River
by John Irving
Price: CDN$ 15.88
9 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A slow go, Aug. 5 2010
After reading A Prayer for Owen Meany, which was dense but enjoyable, I figured I couldn't go wrong with another John Irving book. I was disappointed in Twisted River because it was quite a slow read. It is the kind of book that you can read 50 pages, then walk away from it for a month, and return and not even care that you don't recall what happened, because the events that occur in the story are somewhat repetitious - so you won't miss a beat. I like to finish a book once I've started it, but perhaps I gave Twisted River a bit too much of my time. Perhaps I'll read a John Irving in the future, but I'm hoping it will be more of a page turner.

On the positive side, the characters were interesting and you can't help but feel sympathy for them and their losses. The character of Ketchum is especially enjoyable. Not sure if I necessarily agree with Irving's assessment of Canadians political opinions, however - but it is fiction!

The Forgotten Garden
The Forgotten Garden
by Kate Morton
Price: CDN$ 9.49
153 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Already Forgotten, May 13 2010
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
I enjoyed the basic storyline of `The Forgotten Garden' but the clichés and corniness of some of the content made it similar to reading the script of an episode of `Young and the Restless'. With soap operas, there tends to be a bit of predictability and a lot of coincidence, which is always unrealistic and unbelievable. While I get that this was a work of fiction, the story of Nell echoing the story of Kate, echoing the story of the fairy tales just made the novel a little nauseatingly coincidental for me. I thought it was a little simple and predictable and, as such, I would not recommend this book.

Beatrice & Virgil
Beatrice & Virgil
by Yann Martel
43 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd but interesting, May 13 2010
This review is from: Beatrice & Virgil (Hardcover)
I have yet to read `the life of Pi' but I heard very polarized opinions regarding its content. As such, this was my first experience with a Yann Martel, so I didn't have any preconceived notions as to what to expect. I did enjoy reading `Beatrice and Virgil' but I would definitely qualify it as an odd book. I kept expecting there to be some sort of action but there really wasn't any. However, the topic of the book and the use of the play and the animals to metaphorically discuss the holocaust was captivating. Although I would still consider this an odd book, I believe it is one that I will think about and contemplate for some time.

Page: 1 | 2