Profile for Jilly the Reader > Reviews

Content by Jilly the Reader

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jilly the Reader (Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wonder
Wonder
by R. J. Palacio
Price: CDN$ 14.43
42 used & new from CDN$ 10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by an 'Auggie', April 2 2012
This review is from: Wonder (Hardcover)
As an 'Auggie' myself, I was interested to see how Palacio would tell the story of a child growing up with a disfiguration, likely having no firsthand knowledge herself (based on the portrait on the back cover). Overall, I think she did a very good job. Auggie's life is greatly impacted by his appearance, and it affects the decisions he makes, who he meets, and the places he goes. Auggie just wants to fit in, have friends, and be known for something other then being the 'funny looking kid'. I think Palaco does a good job of explaining how that can be difficult in childhood, and how children are capable of great cruelty as a result of the need for popularity, as well as every person's ability to show compassion and acceptance for those who are different. Although some state that the telling of the story though the perspectives of secondary characters was unnecessary, I would have to disagree. I thought it was interesting to see how knowing Auggie impacted the lives of other people. Overall, I really enjoyed this book.

Alone in the Classroom
Alone in the Classroom
by Elizabeth Hay
Price: CDN$ 18.80
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.31

3.0 out of 5 stars s'okay, July 3 2011
This review is from: Alone in the Classroom (Hardcover)
A fast and easy read, but I found that the story was often 'disjointed'. I would find myself turning back pages to see if I had missed something because the story had moved suddenly from the past to the future or vise versa. The characters were interesting and well developed. I imagine it's a great book for those who dissect literature, but I just like to be entertained and swept away!

The Best Laid Plans
The Best Laid Plans
by Terry Fallis
Price: CDN$ 14.43
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, June 27 2011
This review is from: The Best Laid Plans (Paperback)
I enjoy politics, but when considering this book, I thought, do I really want to read fiction about Canadian politics in my spare time? I thought it would be a snoozer. Fortunately I chose not to be small minded. I really enjoyed the book. I enjoyed the characters, plot, and comedy throughout. Terry Fallis does an excellent job of pointing out some of our (Canadian) short comings. I imagine those who vote Conservative would not enjoy the book, and perhaps also those who vote NDP, because they are not cast in the most favourable light. I am not a Liberal supporter but that did not affect the pleasure I got from this book. Terry Fallis wrote some beautiful passages in this book, my favourite being: "As Canadians' respect for democracy declines and their distain grows, we tend to abandon the greater good, follow the politicians' lead, and grab what we can for ourselves. We give up and accept things as they are, leaving us trapped in a perpetual cycle of self-interest". I could not agree more.

Finkler Question, The
Finkler Question, The
by Howard Jacobson
Price: CDN$ 13.36
156 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Questionable, Feb. 1 2011
This review is from: Finkler Question, The (Paperback)
Three old guys talking about what it is to be Jewish. One seems happy to be Jewish, one seems to find fault with it, and another is not Jewish but wants to be. That's pretty much the whole story. No real change occurred after the mugging, which the book description would have you believe. It's just page after page about three guys talking, thinking, and wondering about being Jewish. Another book that the literary elite find brilliant, but the regular Joe - not so much.

Those Who Save Us
Those Who Save Us
by Jenna Blum
Price: CDN$ 13.68
144 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Jan. 18 2011
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
A great book, I could not put it down. It was sad and sweet and speaks to the risks we must take to save ourselves in dire times and the consequences that our actions can have. The novel is beautifully written. I hope we see more of Jenna Blum.

The Sentimentalists
The Sentimentalists
by Johanna Skibsrud
Price: CDN$ 14.40
64 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Why all the fuss?, Jan. 7 2011
This review is from: The Sentimentalists (Paperback)
The publicity this book has received, and the fact that it is award winning, reminds me of the accolades received by many academy award winning movies. It is evident that literary scholars find this book a wonderful read. As an individual who reads books for entertainment, I found this book to be slow and without flow. Half way into the book I found myself reading the back cover to ensure that I had purchased the book whose description I had read - the synopsis on the back sounds very intriguing, but the book seemed aimless. Again, this may be because I am just a `lay person' and as such am unable to fully appreciate the author's literary genius. Similar to leaving some Oscar award winning movies, after completing this book I am left asking myself what all the fuss is about.

The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Played With Fire
by Stieg Larsson
Price: CDN$ 12.18
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me hanging, Oct. 6 2010
After reading 'the girl with the dragoon tattoo', I figured this book would be along the same line ' a mystery murder with the same characters as the first novel, all cleaned up by the end of the book. However, as I continued to read I was disappointed by the fact that there was no conclusion intended, just a lead in to the 3rd book. So, your left waiting for the sequel, having read a 700 page book and waiting for another near 600 page book to find out what happens.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
by Stieg Larsson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start, Oct. 6 2010
This was a pretty good read. However, the first half of the book was pretty dry. The end was worthwhile though. I don't think this book will win any literature book and I'm a bit surprised by how 'famous' it has become, but I'm glad I read it and discovered what the hype was all about.

Secret Daughter
Secret Daughter
by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, Oct. 6 2010
This review is from: Secret Daughter (Paperback)
This book was okay. I kept wondering when it would all come together, but I didn't really find that it happened in the end. Perhaps I was expecting the predictable ending and it did not occur, which was a bit disappointing. Some of the characters were a little stereotypical as well. I bought this book but I don't think it will make the reread list.

The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett
Price: CDN$ 19.44
228 used & new from CDN$ 0.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, Oct. 6 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed 'the help'. It was difficult to put down. The story was beautifully written and had me both laughing and crying, but mostly cheering for Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter. I look forward to this author's next work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3