Profile for Jilly the Reader > Reviews

Content by Jilly the Reader

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jilly the Reader (Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Frog Music
Frog Music
by Emma Donoghue
Price: CDN$ 18.80
9 used & new from CDN$ 18.80

4.0 out of 5 stars A great author, June 16 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Frog Music (Hardcover)
This is another great book by Emma Donoghue. The book has several interesting characters which Donogue makes the reader either love or hate including the protagonist (Blanche) who is a dancer of sorts who supports her lover (Arthur) and his friend. A recent friend of her's (Jenny Bonnet) is killed and Blanche cannot seem to be certain as to who killed her. The chapters go back and forth from the pre to post-murder events, which can be a bit confusing if you're not paying attention to the dates. Overall, I found the story interesting as well as the characters (although not necessarily likeable). Other than the constant back and forth, the other aspect that was a bit overdone included the excessively detailed writings about Blanche's sex life.

An Abundance of Katherines
An Abundance of Katherines
by John Green
Price: CDN$ 9.89
41 used & new from CDN$ 4.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite John Green, June 12 2014
I've read most if not all of John Green's book but this wasn't my favourite. The plot seemed somewhat random and without a clear direction. The characters were well developed and interesting and there were certainly some funny bits. However, other than the the main character (Colin) getting over his previous girlfriend, it didn't seem to have truly reached a conclusion.

Fly Away
Fly Away
Offered by Macmillan CA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast read but a little sappy, June 8 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Fly Away (Kindle Edition)
One of a few Kristen Hannah books I've read but certainly not my favourite. The story is a continuation from the book 'Firefly lane' which was about two friends and their struggles with love and family. While 'fly away' had its moments, it was a lot of back and forth from the past and present. It was a bit too touchy-feely in the latter half when all the characters deal with the grief resulting from the death of a loved one and how they inappropriately handled each other in the aftermath.

Me Talk Pretty One Day
Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris
Price: CDN$ 13.00
113 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, June 3 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book for the most part. I'm not usually a fan of random autobiographical stories tied together in a book, but most of the chapters were interesting and often funny. Not my first Sedaris book, although of his books that I've read I liked this one the most.

House of Glass
House of Glass
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner..., June 2 2014
Ce commentaire est de: House of Glass (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book as the plot was interesting and it kept me guessing. The characters were well developed and the ending was unpredictable. I was expecting a relatively tame resolution to the situation (the family being held hostage) but what happened was much better (in the sense that it was interesting) than what I thought would occur.

All My Puny Sorrows
All My Puny Sorrows
by Miriam Toews
Price: CDN$ 18.77
6 used & new from CDN$ 18.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Just so so, June 2 2014
Ce commentaire est de: All My Puny Sorrows (Hardcover)
This was my second Miriam Toews book. I did enjoy it to some extent but it is very sad and somewhat lengthy in the description of Elf's ups and downs. It seemed that a good portion of the book could have been deleted as it was somewhat repetitious. The characters were interesting but the plot is somewhat predictable. A good book if you want to wallow in someone else's sorrows.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: CDN$ 18.81
19 used & new from CDN$ 4.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed Housseini books, until this one..., June 2 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: And the Mountains Echoed (Hardcover)
I loved The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, but this book was a struggle and was not nearly as interesting as the last few. It was a disappointment because I was super excited to read another Hosseini book but it ended up being a bit of a sedative. I would recommend his other books, as they were excellent, this one, however, falls a bit short.

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
by Allie Brosh
Price: CDN$ 17.32
38 used & new from CDN$ 15.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh.., June 2 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Not sure what all the hype was about but I did not enjoy this book. I found very few of the stories funny. I purchased it based on the terrific reviews but it just wasn't for me. I should have done some more research, however, as I didn't realize it was a comic book.

Indian Horse
Indian Horse
by Richard Wagamese
Price: CDN$ 15.85
12 used & new from CDN$ 8.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, June 2 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Indian Horse (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It is both sad and thought provoking. A great book about the horrible impacts that religion and racism can have on an individual and a community. Very well written with well developed characters. I will definitely read other books by Richard Wagamese. If they are half as good as this one they will still be excellent.

Sweet Tooth: A Novel
Sweet Tooth: A Novel
by Ian McEwan
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

1.0 out of 5 stars no need for a medicinal sedative..., Sept. 29 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Sweet Tooth: A Novel (Hardcover)
After reading a couple of Ian McEwan's books I was excited to read his newest novel. However, excitement turned into boredom with the slow progression and the yawn-able story line. Having read quite a few snoozers this year, I was hoping for something better, but this turned out to be more of the same. Writers writing about writing. The main character wanted to be a writer, her lover is a writer, they meet over writing, the main character's friend is also a writer, there are several short stories written in the novel that the main character's lover writes, etc etc. As a reader, I'm sick of reading about writing! Overall, I found this story to be slow, unexciting, and it ultimately it had a disappointing ending.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3