Profile for Tim Ward > Reviews

Content by Tim Ward

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tim Ward (D.C)

Pledge, the
Pledge, the
VHS
8 used & new from CDN$ 6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Too underrated, Oct. 20 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Pledge, the (VHS Tape)
Maybe I'm guilty of thinking that the average movie-going population is more intelligent than it really is. I guess that accounts for the reaction this movie has gotten. No, this is not your normal police-procedural movie. The plot is a clothesline for one character's descent into alcoholism and, more or less, insanity. I think the key is ironically what a lot of people complain about: the ending. Without giving anything away, when it comes down to it, Nicholson's detective was right all along. He played everything perfectly, but for a simple twist of fate, he ends up being the bad guy. Hey, that would probably drive me to the bottel too. Not perfect, but vastly underrated. I look forward to Penn's next behind-the-camera effort.

It
It
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as The (Unabridged) Stand, Oct. 17 2001
Ce commentaire est de: It (Mass Market Paperback)
Before I say why I love this book so much, a helpful suggestion. Please, if you want to appreciate King's more marketable stories, please read the Dark Tower series. I don't think that I'm giving away anything here, but the sequence in "It" that deals with 'turtles' (those of you who have read the Dark Tower know why I'd focus on this) will take on much more meaning. On to the review. I think that people have a misconception about what makes for effective horror writing. You have to care about the characters for horror to be effective. Otherwise, it's not horror, it's comedy. Think about it: in the span of a few short pages, King makes Georgie a character we care about--that's why you really feel it in the pit of your stomach when Georgie's encounter with Pennywise reaches its conclusion. This book is about normal kids and adults (who happen to be incredibly well-developed characters) finding themselves in extraordinary circumstances..That's why "It" is so effective. Minor complaint: Richie does not ring true as an adult or a child. He's the only character that is not believable..fortuneately, even though he has a tremendous amount of dialogue, he's really not important to the story..he's there for comic relief. Finally, by all means avoid the mini-series. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone who has read the book can stomach it.