Profile for Melody Y. Li > Reviews

Content by Melody Y. Li

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Melody Y. Li (Vancouver, B.C. Canada)

The Complete Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook & Bouchon
The Complete Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook & Bouchon
by Thomas Keller
Price: CDN$ 40.64
19 used & new from CDN$ 40.64

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm cooking my way through Bouchon, April 12 2009
One day, I received The Complete Thomas Keller Collection, including The French Laundry Cookbook and Bouchon as a gracious gift. I recall how the gigantic books became progressively heavier in my arms as I cradled them home that day. I was unsure whether my heart was beating fast from the anticipation of being finally able to pour over the pages or from being weighted down during my long walk. Regardless, my heart has never beat faster for any other cookbook so it must be love.

I was instantly captured by Bouchon's comfortable and practical approach to French cooking and by Keller's emphasis on manifesting the ingredients' potential sensibly over needlessly manipulating and torturing food. This chimes in well with my cultural and personal philosophy towards food. I decided to cook my way through Bouchon. So far, it's been challenging but it's a practical and rewarding experience for the home cook. Keller really breaks down the basics and fundamental techniques and I am learning a lot.

As for French Laundry, so far, it's only eye candy for me. It's beautifully put together and I hope to one day attempt those recipes as well.

Now I'm cooking my way through it. [...]

Bouchon
Bouchon
by Thomas Keller
Price: CDN$ 40.76
45 used & new from CDN$ 21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm cooking my way through Bouchon, April 12 2009
This review is from: Bouchon (Hardcover)
I received the Bouchon as a gift as a part of the Complete Thomas Keller.
I was instantly captured by Bouchon's comfortable and practical approach to French cooking and by Keller's emphasis on manifesting the ingredients' potential sensibly over needlessly manipulating and torturing food. This chimes in well with my cultural and personal philosophy towards food. He really breaks his techniques and knowledge of ingredients down to the basics. Although some of his recipes can be time consuming, they're definitely achievable by the home cook.

Please check out my blog to see for yourself! [..]