Profile for Rainy Day Mom > Reviews

Content by Rainy Day Mom

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rainy Day Mom (Kirkland, WA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Batman & Robin (Widescreen)
Batman & Robin (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by CAMusicFiendz
Price: CDN$ 11.28
13 used & new from CDN$ 1.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Too mind-numbing to think about..., April 29 2001
This review is from: Batman & Robin (Widescreen) (DVD)
I'll keep this brief, as I'm still recovering. This movie has terrible acting, little to no plot, special effects that do absolutely nothing to disguse the two points mentioned above, the world's worse one-liners, and is nothing more than a coloful picture on a Burger King cup.

White Horses
White Horses
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars This one is confusing..., April 29 2001
I'm a big fan of Hoffman's and in my haste to read everything she's written, I picked up "White Horses." Unlike her other books, I was not immediately captivated by this; it took me awhile to get into. The characters in this are interesting, but also confounding. It is almost as if they exist in a void, and the rest of the world floats on by. They don't seem to have any real motivation for anything that they do, so it's hard to work up sympathy for them. This book was certainly interesting, and an enjoyable read, but it's not Hoffman's best.

The Last Time They Met: A Novel
The Last Time They Met: A Novel
by Anita Shreve
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and breathtaking, April 28 2001
Like most of those who reviewed this book, I, too, was shocked by the ending of this book. I knew something was coming, and I tried to predict it, but I was way off the mark, and left stunned by the end. However, unlike most others (it seems), I loved this plot twist. It was believable and heart-wrenching. This is undoubtedly due to the way Shreve writes her characters, as multi-faceted and fallible. I found the love affair of Thomas and Linda to be too painful to turn away from, a fact made all the more powerful by the ending.

Black Dog (Widescreen)
Black Dog (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Patrick Swayze
Price: CDN$ 9.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 6.08

2.0 out of 5 stars A guilty pleasure, but certainly not a quality film..., April 14 2001
This review is from: Black Dog (Widescreen) (DVD)
Any movie with Meatloaf, Randy Travis and Patrick Swayze in it is definately worth watching, at least for the laughs. In that respect, BLACK DOG certainly doesn't disappoint. The acting in this movie is terrible, especially Swayze's neverending wooden facial expressions. The plot is equally bad, and is never very engaging. However, the one thing that saves this B-movie from being so bad it's unwatchable are the scences with Meatloaf quoting Bible verses while trying to kill Patrick Swayze and the hilarious bits about the black dog. So, don't expect a quality piece of cinema, but if you're bored and need a laugh, it's worthwhile.

Turtle Moon
Turtle Moon
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, like most of Hoffman's work, but..., Jan. 16 2001
Like many others, I started with "Here on Earth," and I loved it. I went on to read many more of Hoffman's books, and I have enjoyed all of them. "Turtle Moon" is no exception. The characters are woven together nicely, the only problem being that some of the characters are beautifully-developed while others are hardly developed at all. This leaves the novel feeling rather inconsistent, although it is always enjoyable.

Tom Stoppard: Plays 5
Tom Stoppard: Plays 5
by T Stoppard
48 used & new from CDN$ 5.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent collection, Dec 20 2000
This review is from: Tom Stoppard: Plays 5 (Paperback)
After seeing Stoppard's "The Real Thing" in London, I was blown away. I purchased this collection to have "The Real Thing," and was blown away but all 5 of Stoppard's masterpieces. He writes convincingly of love, redemption and what it means to exist and to live. I cannot recommend this collection (or anything by Stoppard) enough.

Here on Earth
Here on Earth
Price: CDN$ 9.49
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and telling..., Dec 20 2000
This book is for anyone who's ever loved fercoiously and and has been consumed by that love. Hoffman's novel is gripping and at times painful. Her writing weaves together notions of fate, love, redemtion, and loyalty. Is it beautiful and disturbing.

Syrup
Syrup
by Max Barry
Price: CDN$ 12.27
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical and dead-on-target, Dec 20 2000
This review is from: Syrup (Paperback)
Amazingly enough, Barry has managed to capture the essence of many modern-day romantic interactions while at the same time telling an amusing and captivating story. His prose style is succinct and sharp, and always entertaining. Highly recommended for a quick, few-hour read!

Providence
Providence
by Daniel Quinn
Price: CDN$ 16.79
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, powerful and resonating, Dec 20 2000
This review is from: Providence (Paperback)
Being a Quinn fan, it should come as no surprise that I snapped up this book immediately. It should also come as no surprise that I loved it. Quinn's description of the world on fire brought tears to my eyes...he had had the experience I suspected I too could have. His journey is his own, and I will have my own, my reading about his journey once again reminds me of the joy of being alive, of discovering who you really are.

The Story of B
The Story of B
by Daniel Quinn
Price: CDN$ 15.16
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing journey, Dec 20 2000
This review is from: The Story of B (Paperback)
No review could do this book, or the joy it has brought to my life, justice. But I'm going to try. After _Ishmael_, I thought I'd never appreciate another book again. I thought Quinn's first book was the pinnacle of achievement. So imagine my amazement when I picked up _The Story of B_ and discovered that Quinn had not only done it again, he had written an ever better book! _The Story of B_ is beautifully-written, suspenseful and full of hope. It implores us to reach toward a better understanding of what it means to be human, and our places in the world. It teaches us that we all have the power to change the world; we are, after all, the ones who created it. I've read _the Story of B_ about 20 times, and if I read it 100 more, I'll never cease to be amazed.

Page: 1 | 2