Profile for General Pete > Reviews

Content by General Pete

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

General Pete (SC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Chronicles of Riddick
The Chronicles of Riddick
by Alan Dean Foster
Price: CDN$ 9.99
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Thoughts, July 15 2004
Saw the movie really didn't get it. Now that I read the book I understand it. Ties up some of the loose ends too.
Overall-Really good read thanks to Allen Dean Foster

Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel
Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel
by Dean Koontz
144 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I have something of an "Odd" attraction, July 14 2004
I can't stand the vast majority of works by this author, but Odd Thomas is a wonderful book. The character of Odd is both well adjusted and funny considering all the crazy stuff he see and does. The supporting charecters are well drawn and fleashed out as well. I like books about perceptive characters that have strange abilities.
Overall-May not be the most original idea ever conceived but I would buy a sequel fun and entertaining. Only bad part is that the conclusion feels rushed like mr. Koontz remembered he had to stop writting somewhere.

Horatio Hornblower - The New Adventures
Horatio Hornblower - The New Adventures
DVD ~ Ioan Gruffudd
Price: CDN$ 41.99
25 used & new from CDN$ 5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, July 14 2004
Our boy is back. This time he is on a secret mission to return a French defertor to France. I know that doesn't make any sense but you have to see the show to understand. Also at home he stuggling with a marriage that he does not want be involved in. Really interesting to see him back a decision, will he grow up or have the mindset of a midshipmen forever?
Overall-I always enjoy the vast majority of A&E stuff especially these movies. The characters are mostly due true to the books, the actors seem to care about their job and when the movie is boring it never stays that way for long. highly recommended

Baby Geniuses (Bilingual)
Baby Geniuses (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Kathleen Turner
Price: CDN$ 9.68
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a car accident than a movie, July 12 2004
This review is from: Baby Geniuses (Bilingual) (DVD)
Both can result in Post Tramadic Stress Syndrom and both make you not want to repeat the experience. The actors are bad(and trust me I have seen many "bad movies)the plot is invisable(there isn't one) and my time was wasted. I realize that this is a kid's movie for a specific audience but happened to making a movie enjoyable for adults? Or kids over 5 for that matter
Overall-I know you are not thinking about wasting your time with this movie but just in case you've blown a circut and feel compleaded to rent do not bother.

WIND RIDER'S OATH
WIND RIDER'S OATH
by DAVID WEBER
Price: CDN$ 17.90
36 used & new from CDN$ 1.71

3.0 out of 5 stars Bahzell Bahnakson can still kick butt, July 12 2004
This review is from: WIND RIDER'S OATH (Hardcover)
The main problem with this book is that most of the time it does not focus on our giant champion friend and his companion, but rather on a female interest that really does not contribute much to anything.
I am probably being to hard on the book because it is the middle of the serise where most books regardless of their genera tend to go momentarily flat. I thought the book was O.K but I will not reread the book agian and agian like I did with War God's Own and Oath of Swords.
Overall-I really should not be this disappointed over a book I know but I waited for 6 years and got my hopes up. My mistake.

Firefly: The Complete Series (Bilingual)
Firefly: The Complete Series (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 40.16
41 used & new from CDN$ 8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Fox has no soul, July 11 2004
I watched most of the series at my Uncle's house this weekend.
This is so unfair, I remember watched this series when it first came out and not being able to understand it because I came into what I thought was the middle of the season. It was not in fact the middle of the series that was where it really started with episode 2 that was why I was so confused. Firefly has gained another fan I will be one till I die.
Basic plot is standard-two different factions fight a war one side The Alliance had more guns and ships than the other side the disorganized and poorly armed Independents. They do not lack for courage but the Independents are forced to give way in the face of superior fire power.
Six years later those Independents who have the guts have hightailed it to the end of space finding an uneasy niche amongst the smugglers, pirates and other unsavory types that run the different systems.
The series follows the adventures of one of these crews.
I don't understand why this show was canned especially when you play the episodes in the order they were meant to be viewed so the plot makes some type of sense. The people in charge of Fox are idiots, but I guess they had to make room for Joe Millionaire 25
Trust me any of you that had a problem with this series when it was aired because the episodes were being aired out of sequence are not alone. I urge you to buy the DVD and may your experience with this fresh, original and unjustifiably canceled show be as positive as mine was
Overall-I hope the Firefly will be the Star Trek of the 21st century, but it probably will not be because there is no justice in the world.
Remember guys "You can't take the Sky from me"
(been dying to say that)

Lucky You
Lucky You
by Carl Hiaasen
Price: CDN$ 8.55
93 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I hit the jackpot, July 11 2004
This review is from: Lucky You (Mass Market Paperback)
I had never read a book by this author before, trust me it will not be my last. The characters are all incredibly funny and fun to read.
The basic plot runs like this a peaceful veterinarian in the town of Grange Florida has just won the lottery 14 million dollars. She is a women and black. Nothing big ever goes on in her quite little town except for the busloads of tourists coming to view the local favored religious shrines.
There would not be story without a conflict which arrives in a pair of two skinheads who just so happen to have the other winning lottery ticket. The two racists steal the ticket and rough her up.
Now she has to get it back, with help from an investigative reporter, a friend in the ATF and a waitress at Hooter's.
My impression-I liked the characters, some of the one-liners are classic. The book would not be as good if the author were not as prolific but mystery writers as a general rule have to be. The book is not without flaws the largest of which is that it is too long in my view but the conclusion does not feel rushed or convenient.
If enjoy a good fun read treat yourself to this

Conquistador
Conquistador
by S. M. Stirling
Price: CDN$ 9.49
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you irnore certain facts, July 9 2004
Doesn't it feel a bit odd that the people of this new world
1. Just happen to find a portal to the new world in the first place in a move that is never explianed
2. Manage to wipe out the vast majority of the Native American population and apparently not have a problem with it
3. Are trying to recreate a society(the south of the late 18th and early 19th cwntury that never really existed in the first place
Overall-Ignoring my three basic problems this actually an ok book. I try to read this author all the way through, God knows I try but somehow his books always start strong, than fall off, than get strong agian. I really don't know what my problem is must be my short attention span. Part of my also wants to like this book, but than another part can't stand the charecters. With the possible exception of the 1970s graduate student he was cool and probably the only time I laughed in the entire book.

Lost Regiment 03 Terrible Swift Sword
Lost Regiment 03 Terrible Swift Sword
by William Forstchen
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Author Who knows his market, July 7 2004
I like this guy because he never tries to sell you something other than what you know you are already getting. Sure his charecters in the 35th Maine can wax, wane and moan about the injustice of slavery and the horror of canabalism but it is always limited.
Eventually he just shuts up and tells a good story. Therefore this book is engaging and you can turn off your mind. You still care for the charecters on some level but you do not have to think a lot.

The Eye of the World: Book One of 'The Wheel of Time'
The Eye of the World: Book One of 'The Wheel of Time'
by Robert Jordan
Price: CDN$ 9.49
129 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I don't get it, July 2 2004
Here is the start of a serise, maybe a few of you have heard of it the epic Wheel of Time. These books are like the enigizer bunny they keep going and going and going. It has spawned 9 sequals(with talk of a tenth) and a prequel novel(and God only knows where that will end)
I have heard about how great Ropert Jordon for years from some of my former highschool buddies who always praised him at great length(weather I wanted them to or not).
Logically I asked what the plot was about they wouldn't tell me because I had to "experiance it for myself"(a more condensed version of what was actually said but I got the message that Robert Jordon was a great writer and a great man)
So I broke down and got the book. I made it to about page 50 before I just gave up. Nothing was freaking happening, the charecters were still traveling down the road and Jordon seemed to be rather obsessive about describing every little detail which was probably why the story was taking so long.
Overall-Some of you fans take this stuff way to seriously its a darn book it will not impart to you the meaning of life so quite reading it that way. Heck when you take all the books together its probably longer than the Bible.
As for myself I am sticking with George RR. Martin His books may be long winded but at least his charecters are interesting and there is something resembliong plot in his books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20