Profile for Joseph Barry Garner > Reviews

Content by Joseph Barry G...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Joseph Barry Garner (Agassiz, Bc, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lego Education Duplo Tech Machines Set 6024003 (95 Pieces)
Lego Education Duplo Tech Machines Set 6024003 (95 Pieces)
Offered by Educatoys
Price: CDN$ 388.61

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent but expensive set., June 20 2015
This expensive set was an instant hit with two of my granddaughters, purchased for their 6th and 3rd birthdays, respectively. Beautifully made, with safe screws (already placed) and screwdrivers (NO sharp edges), the models are sturdy and do not fall apart. Their big sister assisted with construction the first time. The children were utterly engrossed in the projects, the youngest went to bed with her model dumptruck. There are six models of typical building site machines described in the instructional sheets, and they were able to make five of them at one time.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back To Health
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back To Health
by William Davis
Price: CDN$ 13.38
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars For myself, wheat was the problem!, Jan. 3 2015
This book was a life changer for myself. I ate (whole wheat or sprouted grain) bread at most meals. My weight was stuck at 186lb for the last 16 years even though I jogged and walked every day. I had a small pot belly and suffered bloating. I read this book in Jan 2012 and stopped eating wheat in any form. Within two months I was 170 lb and have remained at that since. If I start eating cookies, pasta or bread, my weight goes up at once. I use rice and quinoa, and rice cakes instead. The remainder of the book is more tentative and not convincing.

Lego Duplo 10505 Legoville Family House (japan import)
Lego Duplo 10505 Legoville Family House (japan import)
Offered by Cool Japan Hobby Market
Price: CDN$ 129.99
32 used & new from CDN$ 104.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, lots of fun., Dec 29 2014
Purchased for a grandchild, aged 5.5, previously experienced with Duplo. The instructions are excellent. The little girl sat down, followed the instructions and built the House without any help. The extra, non-standard pieces such as the toilet and oven make the House very special and very interesting for the children. The Lego set makes up into 5 different houses which adds even more interest.

LEGO DUPLO Early Simple Machines Set
LEGO DUPLO Early Simple Machines Set
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 271.04
2 used & new from CDN$ 256.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but very rewarding, Dec 29 2014
I purchased this set for a grandchild age 5, father engineer, big sister in 4th year engineering. This set is challenging, but really enjoyable for the little girl The instructions are good and clear. Once helped with a model, she can then rebuild it by herself. She has a real sense of accomplishment when she does so. Photos show us how thrilled she is. My son is full of admiration for this set.

LEGO DUPLO Ville My First Train Set - 10507
LEGO DUPLO Ville My First Train Set - 10507
Price: CDN$ 49.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing!, Dec 7 2014
My granddaughter 'Loves it!'. A third birthday gift. She played with it all afternoon, ignoring the birthday party and visitors. When her father went to join in, she held up the model red light and said 'Red Light, Daddy!'. Meaning, 'don't interrupt!'. Yet my son tells me the set-up is fairly tedious. It didn't matter.

A Day in the Life of the Soviet Union
A Day in the Life of the Soviet Union
by Rick Smolan
34 used & new from CDN$ 17.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The basic humanity of the Russian peoples., Oct. 11 2014
This is a very interesting book, full of colour pictures, published at a time when Mr Gorbachov (sp?) was i/c of the Soviet Union. The photos are fascinating and the people and clothes remind me of war-time UK, apart from the far-easterners. It brings home the essential humanity of the Russian, or Soviet, peoples. Most of them have a very hard life. Although almost thirty years out-of-date, this book is a bargain.

LEGO DUPLO My First Number Train Building Set - 10558
LEGO DUPLO My First Number Train Building Set - 10558
Offered by Toy City Canada
Price: CDN$ 29.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 27.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, Sept. 28 2014
My grandchild (age 2) started to play immediately. She enjoys it very much.

Struck By Genius: How a Brain Injury Made Me a Mathematical Marvel
Struck By Genius: How a Brain Injury Made Me a Mathematical Marvel
by Maureen Seaberg
Price: CDN$ 19.56
9 used & new from CDN$ 4.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but frustrating, Aug. 13 2014
Review of 'Struck by Genius', by Jason Padgett and Maureen Seaberg

My wife and I listened to Jason Padgett being interviewed on CBC radio. He came across as articulate, enthusiastic and personable. As a young adult, Jason had been 'mugged' and had received a brain injury. One bad outcome was that he had become a person with 'Obsessive -Compulsive Disorder', (OCD), which can be very debilitating. Another outcome was that his vision had changed so that he no longer saw continuity, such as a ball making an arc through the air or the drawing of a circle, but saw events/objects discretely. We disagreed with each other on how he described what he actually saw. So we purchased this book to try to understand what Jason 'sees'. Jason has a co-author since apparently another outcome of his injury is an inability to express himself in writing, although clearly his conversation could be recorded!

Unfortunately, the book never really defines what Jason 'sees', although there are several careful diagrams, drawn by Jason over many months, of how he sees various items. Apart from the circles, the drawings are not helpful since we do not know how these items appear to ordinary people for comparison.

Jason has become fascinated by some aspects of mathematics and physics, especially quantum mechanics (I think). He is fascinated by the number 'pi', and gives a formula on page 110 to describe 'pi', which is based on subdividing a circle of radius 1 into '2x' equal triangles with lines drawn from the centre of the circle to the perimeter, as an approximation. I assume he uses the simple formula ' ab sin(C) /2' for the area of each triangular portion, which gives the result ' x sin(180/x) ' for the total area of the circle. [This is a simpler version of the formula given by Jason on page 110.] If we take x to be very large, say 100000, then the result gives 'pi' accurate to 8 decimal places. As Jason states, 'As x approached infinity, [the expression] approached pi.' Here, Jason is employing what is called a 'limiting argument', namely, as (1/x) approaches the limit of zero, the area of each triangle approaches zero, but the number of triangles gets larger and larger, in such a way that the total area of all the triangles approaches pi.

However, when one of his instructors in physics attempts to discuss instantaneous velocity by a similar argument, Jason objects. Apparently, in physics there is a length, labelled the 'Planck length', = 1.62 times 10 to the power (-35) meters. Below this length, ordinary Newton-Einstein formulas do not work and people have to use quantum mechanics. So Jason objects to the limiting argument, but he has just used it himself in defining pi. No wonder the instructor growled at him, I would too!

The book recounts Jason's life up to the present, but it becomes very repetitive with many retellings of Jason's remarkable story to various interested parties. But, never could I understand what Jason actually 'sees', which was our purpose in purchasing the book.

The Complete Far Side
The Complete Far Side
by Gary Larson
35 used & new from CDN$ 152.79

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL of Gary Larson's cartoons - what joy!, Oct. 1 2013
This review is from: The Complete Far Side (Hardcover)
This comes in two, heavy, beautifully bound, tall volumes in an illustrated slipcase; heavy paper, heavy, heavy books. That's the only drawback. It includes every Larson cartoon produced including unpublished cartoons. They are bound in sequential order so one can observe how Larson's drawing improved over the years. Some letters to the editor and comments from Larson are included.
If someone likes Larson's cartoons, than this is a marvelous gift. My wife had each volume on the table reading them at every meal time, and in between. Now we can look up ' a discouraging word', or 'there for three points, Rex ' etc. Wonderful fun!

LEGO DUPLO Creative Play My First Build
LEGO DUPLO Creative Play My First Build
7 used & new from CDN$ 64.30

5.0 out of 5 stars My granddaughter 'loved it'., Oct. 1 2013
The only Lego Duplo product recommended for 1.5 years old children. I purchased it for my granddaughter of that age. Her father reported that 'she loved it'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3