Profile for Greg Mohler > Reviews

Content by Greg Mohler

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Greg Mohler (Atlanta, GA United States)

Way I Feel Today
Way I Feel Today
Offered by BuyCDNow Canada
Price: CDN$ 13.13
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Their most uneven album yet... but still good, July 27 2002
This review is from: Way I Feel Today (Audio CD)
Six By Seven continue their trend of moving from atmospheric drone to a more conventional song-oriented wall-of-guitar. To my ears, The Way I Feel Today is like The Closer You Get with higher highs and lower lows. "So Close" kicks off with an ominous piano riff that gets flattened by a thunderous wall of guitar that keeps up for the rest of the song. "IOU Love" softens things a bit, including a somewhat fey flute-like accompaniment near the end. "All My New Best Friends" is a surprise; it's unbelieveably melodic and Beatles-y, and breaks up the album nicely. Then we get "Flypaper", "Speed Is In", and "Karen O", all uptempo punky rockers. They sound flat and monotonous to me- they did this much better on The Closer You Get. I've heard that "American Beer" is supposed to be the album centerpiece, but it does nothing for me. Slow and kind of annoying, the musical equivalent of sitting outside on a hot and extremely humid day. Things bounce back on "Anyway" and "The Way I Feel Today"- mid- to uptempo rockers with an almost triumphant feel to the arrangements. The best songs they've done yet. "Cafeteria Rats" and "Bad Man" go back to the punkish rockers with guitar override, but it works this time, especially Cafeteria Rats. In general, this album makes me curious as to what their next one will sound like.