Profile for C. Townsend > Reviews

Content by C. Townsend

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. Townsend "Chez" (New York)

Love Spell
Love Spell
by Karen Williams
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price..., Feb. 25 2004
This review is from: Love Spell (Paperback)
I bought the book because, quite honestly, I was getting bored with the traditional bodice-ripping romance. I'd never read lesbian romance and I was curious. Was it worth the jacked-up price of $12.00? Absolutely not. First off, you would think that a book that made it to print would have been proof-read. Not this book. There are so many grammatical and typographical errors that it very seriously pulls you out of the story just as you think you can sink into it. Then, there's the fact that the book is so short that there's really no time to fall in love with the characters, nevermind them falling in love with each other. However, I think Karen Williams is a fine author with some grand potential. I just think she'd do much better to put some meat and guts into her stories, expand upon her ideas and give the reader the ability to fall into the storyline. She definitely needs a new editor/proof-reader! Do I recommend this book? No. Would I like to see Ms. Williams go mainstream with an epic novel? Absolutely.

The Loving Daylights
The Loving Daylights
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Funny, Jan. 2 2004
My husband didn't know what to make of me laughing so hard I was wiping tears from my eyes! (I offered to let him read the book, but, like so many men, he cringed at the mere thought.) This was a hilariously good read. Check your serious side at the door and lose yourself in the simple fun of reading this book.

The Highlander's Touch
The Highlander's Touch
by Karen Marie Moning
Price: CDN$ 9.92
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Jan. 2 2004
I was getting bored with the romance genre until I ordered this book. I was riveted from page one. I'm not going to go into plot because so many reviewers did a splendid job of that. All I can say is that Ms. Moning created a delicious brew of time travel and fantasy, faeries and wonderous Scottish lure. In between all of that were two phenomenal leading characters with sparks and sexual tension that left me sighing...and turning page after page until the wee hours. I can almost believe in faeries!

Nerd in Shining Armor (The Nerd Series)
Nerd in Shining Armor (The Nerd Series)
by Vicki Lewis Thompson
Price: CDN$ 9.89
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Dumb!, Aug. 30 2003
I cannot believe I spent money on this book! It was HORRIBLE! I was expecting something funny and breezy. It was so bogged down in its own farce that it was more Penthouse Forum than romance. I have no idea how or why love was mentioned in this book.
Genevieve believes she can get her sleazy womanizing boss, Nick, into bed (which isn't hard for anyone BUT Genevieve) and entice him into marriage. Problem is, the boss wants to kill her instead.
Jackson, the color-blind computer nerd, tags along for the ride and is inadvertantly caught up in Nick's plot to crash the plane, kill Genevieve and fake his own death. So Jackson, geek-extraordinaire, miraculously lands the plane (based on flight simulator gaming experience, if you can believe that), hauls Genevieve to shore and saves her pink luggage from sharks.
Wait...it gets worse! Genevieve figures she's got nothing better to do so she'll throw the poor schlub a lesson in carnal pleasures (and believe me, she's got a long background of experience). So she finds out that Mr. Geek isn't so bad in the sack. (Please note: his feet were getting 2nd degree burns during the act. Do you know any man who's going to ignore that?) So, they spend a few days (2?) enjoying themselves that way. Were they deserted on an island, or on vacation?
Meanwhile, Genevieve's backwoods mom and psychic brother are leading Nick's partner to Genevieve through "feelings". Puh-lease!
I don't know how some books get into print. This book was so unbelievable, so non-sensical, so far-fetched that every page brought a new groan.

Chasing Lily
Chasing Lily
by Dixie Kane
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and trite..., Aug. 4 2003
I HAVE to finish a book once I start it, and this one was a real struggle. The book takes place over the course of one week, most of which is spent driving in a car during which very little conversation took place.
Lily falls in love with Sam within 3 days, though there's little more to recommend him than a great body and his timely interruption (rescue?) of a roughing up in a public bathroom, so I have no idea where the love came in. It took Sam 2 days longer than that, and she was such a begging little brat that I still have no idea why. She seemed to be the epitome of the women that Sam spent most of the past 7 years avoiding.
The characters were wholly undeveloped, there was little excitement or electricity between them, and they spent most of the book driving in a car doing very little talking to one another. When they did talk, the conversations between them were unbelievably unrealistic. I couldn't picture myself uttering half the garbage that came out of Lily's mouth. She spent half the book trying to reason, barter and beg Sam into bed with her. It was boring, and, for Lily, embarrassing.
The most enjoyment I got out of the book was a minute's thrill at the developing romance between Lily's grandmother and Sam's father. Their romance quickly became just as "blah" as Lily and Sam's.
One final note: Lily had red-hair. Sam had black hair. I have no idea who the blondes are on the cover.

Lady Be Good
Lady Be Good
by Susan E Phillips
Price: CDN$ 9.89
90 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Laughs!!!, May 11 2002
Okay, so the plot is a little kooky, but it only added to the hilarity and good times this book offers. It was a milk-through-the-nose, laugh-out-loud adventure. I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes and my husband caught the giggles with me. As for the lazy hero...there are actually parts of the book where you feel jealousy towards the heroine. It is absolutely amazing. This was the first Susan Elizabeth Phillips book I've read, and I'm happily buying up the rest.

Heart Of A Warrior
Heart Of A Warrior
by Johanna Lindsey
Price: CDN$ 9.92
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay Grounded (on Earth), May 11 2002
I have read and loved every Lindsey novel...except this one. Had I even guessed from the back cover that it was a continuation of the outer space series I would have walked on by. Its confusing and disjointed, jumping from one thought to the next. Throughout the book I wondered what was in the heroine's head. She spends most of the book believing the hero was a nutcase pulling a very elaborate hoax on her. And this is who she loves??? I also spent a good portion of my reading time wondering what to make for dinner, what to wear for work the next day, what kind of cake to serve for my daughter's birthday. In other words, this story definitely does not bring the reader into the storyline.

Banner O'Brien
Banner O'Brien
by Linda Lael Miller
Price: CDN$ 9.49
97 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Writing by Rote, May 11 2002
Each time I begin reading a Lael-Miller novel I tell myself that its the last book by this author that I'll read. Yet, I am sometimes swayed by a particularly appealing story line outlined on the back cover. Banner O'Brien is no different. I did a lot of eye rolling throughout, from the first time the good doctor refers to the heroine as "Shamrock" (for the color of her eyes), to the stunted and unemotional ending. The main characters lacked a development that normally leads the reader to root for them. In fact, very early on they declared their love for one another. Boring! All the hero and heroine had in common was a somewhat delicious sex life and their choosen professions. The villians lacked development as well, and the end seemed to culminate in one page with a barely perceptible shrug. It seems as though this novel was written on auto pilot.