Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store NFL Tools
Profile for Ryan > Reviews

Content by Ryan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ryan

Page: 1 | 2
Perixx AX-1200, Gaming Headset - Gold Plated 3.5mm Audio Connector - 1.8 M Braided Cable
Offered by Perixx CA
Price: CDN$ 49.90
2 used & new from CDN$ 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, May 29 2015
I'm not an audiophile - maybe some with higher standards could find some complaints with it - but for my purposes, this was a great deal for the price. I've done a 2 hour phone call using it with very clear sound through the mic to the other end. The headphones sound great, too. They're very comfortable. And the price is hard to argue with. The only minor annoyances are that the top band is a little creaky when you move and there's no volume rocker on the cord. I've recommended it to a coworker who is also in need of a new headset.

Targus ACA039US USB 3 Multi-Monitor Dual Adapter (Black)
Targus ACA039US USB 3 Multi-Monitor Dual Adapter (Black)
Price: CDN$ 94.98
28 used & new from CDN$ 90.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, May 29 2015
Works great. In my research before buying this, some others listed system requirements that were a bit higher than my ThinkPad, but there has been zero issues with this adapter.

A More Christlike God: A More Beautiful Gospel
A More Christlike God: A More Beautiful Gospel
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I found Jersak did a great job of being firm about why he thinks certain ..., May 28 2015
There is a significant and important theological trend in recent years to reclaim the doctrine of Incarnation: that Jesus is the full representation of God. This is the first book I have seen, however, that explicitly deals with that idea and a few of its subtopics - how we understand violent portrayals of God in the Old Testament (and a few in the New) and how we understand atonement being the big two. Most of the core ideas I was broadly familiar with from other studies, but there were several interesting pieces I had not encountered before.

I found Jersak did a great job of being firm about why he thinks certain presentations of God are far from the biblical images centered on Jesus, while still being respectful of those holding images of God that don't look like Jesus. That makes it a very good resource for sharing with those who are coming out of those harmful images but don't know how to replace it.

I would specifically call attention to his concluding chapter, A More Beautiful Gospel. The way it is presented is truly beautiful: a God who like Jesus truly loves us and would do anything for us, regardless of if we accept the right doctrines or do the right rituals or any other way of earning his favour.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book (electronic format) in exchange for an honest review.

Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church
Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church
Price: CDN$ 9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Searching for Sunday is Rachel Held Evans' best book yet, April 28 2015
Searching for Sunday is Rachel Held Evans' best book yet. The main reason for that is because it is full of hope. A Year of Biblical Womanhood was a fantastic analysis of various biblical texts along with a fun engagement of how many different ways genuine Christians (and Jews) interpret those texts. Faith Unraveled (previously Evolving in Monkey Town) was very easy for so many to relate to, discussing her departure from conservative Evangelicalism into a world with a lot more questions. Those are definitely valuable, but they are by far the most valuable when those steps in the journey bring you to something more like Searching for Sunday. This book offers a mature faith that has wrestled through many questions and reached answers with a sense of humility intact.

Kingdom Conspiracy: Returning to the Radical Mission of the Local Church
Kingdom Conspiracy: Returning to the Radical Mission of the Local Church
Price: CDN$ 13.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Good, Nov. 3 2014
A very interesting study of the concept of "Kingdom of God", which clearly does mean different things to different people. He gets a lot of things right, in my opinion, but I can't help but think he's misguided in his central claim with little argument behind it that the Kingdom is the same as the Church.

My main complaint is that it is a heavy read but also an unashamedly biased one. He doesn't give much if any credit to other perspectives, so while his view makes some sense in a vacuum, I wish I knew a few more of the counterpoints. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who isn't also reading those other points, particularly liberation theology.

Brita 635723 Ultramax Dispenser
Brita 635723 Ultramax Dispenser
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 79.33
4 used & new from CDN$ 68.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 9 2014
This is a huge upgrade from the 10-cup pitcher we had been using. Instead of filling 6 to 8 times a day we now fill 2 to 3. The other big difference we didn't even consider is that because it is through a tap at the bottom instead of a standard pitcher, we could pour right away while it was filtering. This saves either spilling water by pouring too early or standing at the fridge waiting for it to filter enough to drink it. It also means it is always cold since you can not only keep the water at the bottom chilling at all times but can fill in the top above the filter, too. The only real downside is that the tap pours slower than coming out of a pitcher but it's still a no-brainer trade-off. Definitely worth the price if your family drinks more than a couple of cups of water a day.

Bird B Gone MMRTH1 Hawk Decoy
Bird B Gone MMRTH1 Hawk Decoy
Price: CDN$ 24.17
14 used & new from CDN$ 21.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 7 2014
It wasn't perfect as we still had the occasional pidgeon, but combined with some cheap flash tape it probably dropped us to about 1% of the prior visits which had basically ruined the ability to use our balcony all summer.

Mint.com Personal Finance
Mint.com Personal Finance
Price: CDN$ 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Financial Planning, May 7 2014
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
The best app I've found overall for financial planning, at least in Canada (I have heard of others mentioned that are only in the U.S.) I do most of the budgeting and sorting transactions and such when I'm at a desktop, but it is particularly handy for logging cash expenses right after spending them so you don't forget as well as checking to make sure you have the budget for something before you buy.

I run this on my BlackBerry Z10 even though neither Mint nor Amazon officially support it. It works perfectly.

Plex
Plex
Price: CDN$ 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Media Centre, May 7 2014
This review is from: Plex (App)
Great app as part of Plex's great service overall. I've had minor issues, more with the service in general than this particular app, but overall it won out after a couple of years testing various media centre options.

I run this app on my BlackBerry Z10 even though neither Plex nor Amazon officially support it. No problems at all.

Corner Gas Full Tank: The Complete Series Box Set
Corner Gas Full Tank: The Complete Series Box Set
DVD ~ Brent Butt
Price: CDN$ 75.00
9 used & new from CDN$ 72.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, May 7 2014
One of my all-time favourite shows and the price I got it at was a complete steal. This is definitely one I can watch multiple times and continue to laugh.

Page: 1 | 2