Profile for Ryan > Reviews

Content by Ryan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ryan

Brita 635723 Ultramax Dispenser
Brita 635723 Ultramax Dispenser
Price: CDN$ 38.87
4 used & new from CDN$ 38.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 9 2014
This is a huge upgrade from the 10-cup pitcher we had been using. Instead of filling 6 to 8 times a day we now fill 2 to 3. The other big difference we didn't even consider is that because it is through a tap at the bottom instead of a standard pitcher, we could pour right away while it was filtering. This saves either spilling water by pouring too early or standing at the fridge waiting for it to filter enough to drink it. It also means it is always cold since you can not only keep the water at the bottom chilling at all times but can fill in the top above the filter, too. The only real downside is that the tap pours slower than coming out of a pitcher but it's still a no-brainer trade-off. Definitely worth the price if your family drinks more than a couple of cups of water a day.

Bird B Gone MMRTH1 Hawk Decoy
Bird B Gone MMRTH1 Hawk Decoy
Price: CDN$ 20.14
10 used & new from CDN$ 13.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 7 2014
It wasn't perfect as we still had the occasional pidgeon, but combined with some cheap flash tape it probably dropped us to about 1% of the prior visits which had basically ruined the ability to use our balcony all summer.

Mint.com Personal Finance
Mint.com Personal Finance
Price: CDN$ 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Financial Planning, May 7 2014
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
The best app I've found overall for financial planning, at least in Canada (I have heard of others mentioned that are only in the U.S.) I do most of the budgeting and sorting transactions and such when I'm at a desktop, but it is particularly handy for logging cash expenses right after spending them so you don't forget as well as checking to make sure you have the budget for something before you buy.

I run this on my BlackBerry Z10 even though neither Mint nor Amazon officially support it. It works perfectly.

Plex
Plex
Price: CDN$ 5.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Media Centre, May 7 2014
This review is from: Plex (App)
Great app as part of Plex's great service overall. I've had minor issues, more with the service in general than this particular app, but overall it won out after a couple of years testing various media centre options.

I run this app on my BlackBerry Z10 even though neither Plex nor Amazon officially support it. No problems at all.

Corner Gas: Full Tank (The Complete Series Box Set)
Corner Gas: Full Tank (The Complete Series Box Set)
DVD ~ Brent Butt
Price: CDN$ 79.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, May 7 2014
One of my all-time favourite shows and the price I got it at was a complete steal. This is definitely one I can watch multiple times and continue to laugh.

How to Train Your Dragon [Blu-ray + DVD]
How to Train Your Dragon [Blu-ray + DVD]
DVD ~ Gerard Butler, America Ferrara Jay Baruchel
Price: CDN$ 33.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 21.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype, Dec 9 2012
It was good, but it wasn't anything particularly special. It didn't come close to the hype I had heard about it in my opinion.

The Dark Knight Trilogy Limited Edition Giftset (Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Offered by Deal Beat
Price: CDN$ 94.00
7 used & new from CDN$ 40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movies, Great Price, Dec 9 2012
Three very good movies and at a great price to get them all in one. Definitely nothing to complain about.

2 PACK Canon BP-511a / BP-511 Battery + Replacement Battery Charger for Canon EOS 50D / 20D / 300D / 30D / 40D / 5D / D30 / D60 / Kiss Digital

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life, Dec 9 2012
The batteries seem to last significantly less time than the default battery, but it is still a great deal for the price.

A Year Of Biblical Womanhood
A Year Of Biblical Womanhood
by Rachel Evans
Price: CDN$ 15.15
38 used & new from CDN$ 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars All-Around Amazing Book, Nov. 2 2012
This is an amazing book on a lot of counts. It's definitely on my Top 10 list for must-reads for any Christian or anyone interested in Christianity.

The level of biblical scholarship is impressive. She makes it clear she isn't interested in a mockery by doing a lot of research about how a variety of Jews and Christians have interpreted different texts. I learned quite a bit, which is meaningful since I have a Theology masters and so there are few books I can really say that about.

It is not by any means an angry feminist ranting about patriarchy in the church. Anybody who claims that clearly has not actually read it. She approaches our differences with an air of gentleness that is rare in evangelical Christianity, modelling how we can disagree without disrespecting each other or the faith to which we subscribe. Part of this gentleness is humour, which runs fairly consistently throughout the book and enables you laugh even as you wrestle with important issues.

Lastly, it is not really primarily about gender roles. It is about how we approach Scripture. Through this gentle and genuine examination, she is able to demonstrate that Scripture is something far more beautiful than a list of rules or doctrines.

I highly recommend this book. You may agree and you may disagree, but you will be able to approach these important conversations in much healthier ways.

Black Swan (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Bilingual)
Black Swan (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Natalie Portman
Offered by Chitchats
Price: CDN$ 9.86
24 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 30 2011
I love it but it definitely will freak you out. I'm not the kind of person who easily gets emotionally involved in movies but the first time I saw this I was pretty much in shock for a couple hours afterward. So brilliantly done but you definitely have to be in a certain type of mood to watch it.