Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Richard

Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 68.59
26 used & new from CDN$ 16.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The very, very best., Aug. 31 2014
This review is from: Boston Legal S5 (DVD)
Love it. Love it. Love it. Shatner, Spader, Bergen - superb.

Georges Bizet: Carmen (The Metropolitan Opera LIVE in HD 2010)
Georges Bizet: Carmen (The Metropolitan Opera LIVE in HD 2010)
DVD ~ Elina Garanca
Price: CDN$ 46.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 26.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., Aug. 31 2014
This blew me away. The entire cast was incredible. I found myself really connecting with Carmen - she was played so well and so convincingly.

Jules Massenet: Werther (Opéra national de Paris 2010) (Version française)
Jules Massenet: Werther (Opéra national de Paris 2010) (Version française)
DVD ~ Jonas Kaufmann
Price: CDN$ 48.99
27 used & new from CDN$ 24.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaufman is as great as ever., Aug. 31 2014
Kaufman is incredible. He has a voice that ranks up there with the greats. Koch is good but it's a real stretch when a 40-something plays the part of a 20-something. Some of the camera angles were a bit hard to figure but Kaufman's performance compensated. I preferred the Met Opera version because the sets were more elaborate.

Don Giovanni
Don Giovanni
DVD ~ Bryn Terfel
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 36.73
22 used & new from CDN$ 24.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent performance. My only negative is that it too ..., Aug. 31 2014
This review is from: Don Giovanni (DVD)
Another excellent performance. My only negative is that it too so very, very long to reach the conclusion - I wanted Giovanni to go down and when he finally did, it was a relief. Renee Fleming was incredible. She has the voice of an angel.

Puccini - La Boheme / Luciano Pavarotti, Renata Scotto, Maralin Niska, Ingvar Wixell, Paul Plishka, James Levine, Metropolitan Opera
DVD ~ Renata Scotto
Price: CDN$ 23.53
31 used & new from CDN$ 5.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Musically great. Visually not so much., Aug. 31 2014
Excellent performances. The only negative was the lack of visual clarity. It was very low-def and given that opera is both for visual and audio senses, the lack of visual clarity took away from the total performance.

Verdi:Aida
Verdi:Aida
DVD ~ Aprile Millo
Price: CDN$ 27.98
24 used & new from CDN$ 12.95

2.0 out of 5 stars it just blew the whole splendour of this wonderful opera., Aug. 31 2014
This review is from: Verdi:Aida (DVD)
I would have given this five stars for the sets (magnificent) and most of the performances. Aprile Millo has an incredible voice. What detracted from the opera was this: both Aida and her father were played by Caucasians wearing the most God-awful dark makeup. Her father, especially, was not at all credible - he looked no more Ethiopian than I do. The makeup used on Millo's face came out dark grey under the lighting which switched from bright (Amneris) to dark...in the same scene...whenever the camera turned to Aida. it just blew the whole splendour of this wonderful opera.

Boston Legal: Season 4
Boston Legal: Season 4
DVD ~ DVD
Price: CDN$ 30.14
22 used & new from CDN$ 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Shatner as Denny "mad cow" Crane, Aug. 6 2014
This review is from: Boston Legal: Season 4 (DVD)
Hilarious show. I love Shatner as Denny "mad cow" Crane. And, of course, Candice Bergen is one of my lifelong crushes from my youth. The cast is excellent as an ensemble and the appearance of guest actors makes it interesting. My favourite character is Shelley Berman's senile judge. I love that character. Well, enough jibber jabber and poopycock.

Hinterland - Series 1
Hinterland - Series 1
DVD ~ Richard Harrington
Price: CDN$ 48.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 48.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good series. I was fascinated by the bonus feature ..., Aug. 6 2014
This review is from: Hinterland - Series 1 (DVD)
Very good series. I was fascinated by the bonus feature which showed the show being made in two languages. Like Endeavour, this is an intelligent program and I'm really hoping that there will be a season 2.

Silk series 2
Silk series 2
Offered by BonnieScotland
Price: CDN$ 10.98
6 used & new from CDN$ 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars British programming is the best. I wish our North American film industry could ..., Aug. 6 2014
This review is from: Silk series 2 (DVD)
British programming is the best. I wish our North American film industry could produce intelligent programming like this. As a Canadian, I'm still not sure on how this solicitor-lawyer system works. It looks like the person being defended has two attorneys. One of these days, I'm going to have to find out how the system works.

The Corner
The Corner
Price: CDN$ 25.64
6 used & new from CDN$ 22.10

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved The Wire but The Corner is more authentic and ..., Aug. 6 2014
This review is from: The Corner (DVD)
This DVD moved me. I loved The Wire but The Corner is more authentic and focused. It showed drug addiction for the ugly monster that it is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7