Profile for jfriedl@emory.edu > Reviews

Content by jfriedl@emory.edu

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

jfriedl@emory.edu (New York)

The Burning Library: Essays
The Burning Library: Essays
by Edmund White
Price: CDN$ 14.40
19 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reader in the new world--non fiction., March 3 2000
As a struggling writer I find it difficult to consult my creativity in a nurturing yet properly instructive way. One of the main difficulties is finding the right literary setting to allow my ideas to flourish (or at least a place to plant them). Until I read The Burning Library I was only familiar with White's fiction. I was apprehensive about his essays; that the power of his imaginary voice would be subdued in the realm of non fiction. It is subdued but it is no less brilliant, no less insightful, and no less stimulating. White rules his world with a brutal and sensitive brain; he debunks "myth" as he creates it. When the essays turn to biography it helps to be familiar with who he's talking about (I reccomend a class in contemporary French Literary Criticism) but it isn't necessary. White is accessible, provocative and entertaining. After reading these essays it took me a long time to return to fiction--both reading and writing it. These are inspiring articles; intellectual, risque, humorous, and most importantly... still chic. I am--as with all White's writing--inspired to create but usually disappointed with how short I fall in my attempts to be similar. I highly reccomend this book to anyone interested in gay history or the contemporary gay culture.

Edmund White: The Burning World
Edmund White: The Burning World
by Stephen Barber
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.82

4.0 out of 5 stars A name to the narrator., Feb. 10 2000
I have read the White "Trilogy" of the nameless narrator navigating us through the second half of the American 20th century (A Boy's Own Story, Beautiful Room, and Farewell). White's books peeked my curiosity and kept me riveted with their metaphors, honesty, and detailed attention to those peculiar specifics that either comply with our self image (bringing us to tomorrow) or shatter our ego (enflaming our insecurity). We wonder just how close White's actual life is to the narrator's as we are jealously appalled by his freedom, and tragically hopeful about what will happen to him next. This biography, if not as beautifully weaved and metaphoric as White's own writing, does reconcile the life of the "I" in his novels, the complexity of the language and the author (speaking in a Barthesian sense), and White's own experiences as we finally align the tragic hero and his real life companions. This book is not a way to be introduced to White, but if you know him and his writings then it is illuminating and resourceful and a pleasure to read with the sheer quanitity of it's detail and thoroughness.

Heavyweights
Heavyweights
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stiller's Finest hour--If you speak English see this film, March 31 1999
This review is from: Heavyweights (VHS Tape)
Pulsating under multiple layers of make-up, Ben Stiller's portrayel of camp owner Tony Perkis is one of the finest performences in cinematic history. While critics will say this film hits you over the head with mindless fat jokes and a mediocre message, the underlying reality is that somehow Stiller overcame what, at one point, must have been an inane Disney script. This movie is a triumph mixing pre teen psychological angst, satirical anarexic paranoia, sentimental summer hijinks, and subtle detailed infomercial insanity. From the "blob" to the black kid, the underlying themes of society's acceptance and approval bubble through the seemingly unilayered comedic glory. "I rise, I rise, I rise" sings the movie's spirit between the wonderfully chosen songs on its soundtrack. (Keep an eye out for who's REALLY playing "Papa" at the end--wink wink). This movie could not be improved. Now that Kubrick is gone we have one name to look to. Bravo, Mr. Stiller (either one) Bravo!