1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Shout! Factory does it again with a killer Special Edition, Nov. 7 2012
*Updated review on the Extras* (February 27, 2013)
This review concerns Shout! Factory's new Collector's Edition release of Halloween II, it is not a review of the film itself. But, in the interests of transparency, I do like this film.
The Blu-Ray transfer looks and sounds absolutely stunning. The film looks better than I have ever seen before (TV, VHS and DVD). I read that Shout! did a major upgrade in transferring the film to Blu-Ray and it shows.
In addition to the great transfer, Shout! must be commended on the stellar and abundant extras included in the 2-disc set:
PLEASE NOTE: I have not been able to view all the extras yet, but will add to the review as I do.
1. Television Cut With Added Footage Not Seen In The Theatrical Version
This comes on the second disc (DVD, not Blu-Ray) in the set. OK, watched the TV version now and it's enjoyable, especially seeing the way they re-cut and/or edit scenes, to fit TV censors and time constraints. In addition, there are different (albeit short) scenes that are used to bridge moments in the TV cut that are not seen at all in the original version. Overall, an interesting view and definitely a worthwhile extra.
2. Audio Commentary With Director Rick Rosenthal And Actor Leo Rossi (Theatrical Version)
3. Audio Commentary With Actor/Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock (Theatrical Version)
I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentaries yet, but I have heard they are very interesting and informative, can't wait!
4. The Nightmare Isn't Over!: The Making Of Halloween II - Featuring interviews with Director Rick Rosenthal, Actor/Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock, Actors Lance Guest, Leo Rossi, Nancy Stephens, Executive Producer Irwin Yablans, Director of Photography Dean Cundey, Co-Composer Alan Howarth and more!
Looking forward to watching this featurette, it's always a good sign when most of the cast/crew participates.
5. Horror's Hallowed Grounds: The Locations Of Halloween II - Host Sean Clark revisits the original shooting locations of the film
This was a great featurette that I was really looking forward to as I had already read the print version in HorrorHound magazine. It is interesting to see how some locations have changed drastically in the last 30+ years, while some have not changed a bit.
6. Deleted Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary From Director Rick Rosenthal
Decent deleted scenes, but what makes this featurette is the commentary on those scenes. All DVD releases with deleted scenes should have commentary on them, to put them in perspective as to why they weren't included.
7. Alternate Ending With Optional Audio Commentary From Director Rick Rosenthal
As with the Deleted Scenes, the commentary really helps put the alternate ending in perspective. And it's a pretty good alternate, with some key differences.
8. Theatrical Trailer
Love when they include trailers. It brings back memories for the ones I have seen and also shows how good the restoration on the Blu-Ray really is!
9. TV & Radio Spots
More fun nostalgia. Why can't trailers and TV spots be like this today?
10. Still Gallery
Some interesting shots and behind the scenes photos, but I always wish there was some sort of text to go along with these Still Galleries.
Overall, I highly recommend this release to Halloween fans, horror fans and fans of things that go bump in the night!
Thank you, Shout Factory!