Profile for Detour > Reviews

Content by Detour

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Detour

Page: 1 | 2
Detour-Film Noir [Import]
Detour-Film Noir [Import]
Price: CDN$ 13.15
19 used & new from CDN$ 6.83

4.0 out of 5 stars That's life. Whichever way you turn, Fate sticks out a foot to trip you., Sept. 30 2014
This review is from: Detour-Film Noir [Import] (DVD)
Detour has been one of my favourite films, and my favourite film noir, since I first had the chance to see it on the old late-night movie show out of Buffalo in the late 80s/early 90s. Can't recall the show's title, but they all acted like hep cats. A cool show that introduced me to a lot of out there stuff.

Unfortunately, being a Public Domain film, the various versions that are out there have left much to be desired, and its PD status has stopped many DVD companies from putting in the time and effort to restore this masterpiece of film noir.

I am pleased to report that Film Chest's release of DETOUR (1945) is the best one yet. Dialog is crisper and clearer than in any previous release. And the picture is a revelation.

The only thing that would make this even better is a full length commentary from a film historian.

Highly recommended upgrade.

Animal
Animal
by George "The Animal" Steele
Price: CDN$ 17.52
28 used & new from CDN$ 11.02

5.0 out of 5 stars In and outside the ring, with the one and only "Animal", Sept. 30 2014
This review is from: Animal (Hardcover)
Though I haven't been a wrestling fan since the mid-1980s, I've always been a fan of four wrestlers: Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant and Randy "Macho Man" Savage, and of course, George "the Animal" Steele. Upon hearing that "the Animal" would be at a local Comic Con next month, I searched to see if he had a biography published. Boy, did I learn that I knew nothing about Jim Myers (aka "The Animal"). From an early childhood racked with dyslexia, to a stellar career as a coach and teacher, there is so much more to learn about this Hall of Fame wrestler. A great read, and I am looking forward to meeting him next month.

Highly recommended for wrestling fans. Recommended for fans of biographies.

War Eagles - The Unmaking of an Epic - An Alternate History for Classic Film Monsters
by David Conover
Price: CDN$ 27.38
11 used & new from CDN$ 27.38

5.0 out of 5 stars It would have been another epic, from the makers of KING KONG!, Sept. 30 2014
When I first heard about this book, a few months ago, I thought, "why have I never heard of this movie before?" The simple reason is the movie never existed, though it almost did. The first half of the book details the film's genesis and eventual demise. While the second half has a complete copy of the last shooting script that was written, just prior to the production being scuttled. A great read, the script moves along at a fantastic pace and short of someone actually making the film now, this book comes as close to the experience as possible. The movie would have rocked.

Highly recommended.

Distressed Damsels and Masked Marauders: Cliffhanger Serials of the Silent-Movie Era
by Ed Hulse
Price: CDN$ 32.86
9 used & new from CDN$ 32.86

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting, engrossing read on the history of the silent serial!, Sept. 29 2014
Full disclaimer: I bought this book directly from the author, who I have corresponded with for several year and have purchased several of his other published works. I wanted to share my thoughts with fellow Amazon buyers who may be considering purchasing this book.

My copy arrived about two weeks ago and I finished it off last Friday. I made myself read it only at lunch time each day, self-imposed cliffhangers!

If I could only use one word to describe this book, it would be: engaging.

Luckily, I am allowed to use more. Engrossing, informative, entertaining, enlightening also come to mind.

From the highly appealing prose, meticulously researched facts and figures, the amazing array of lobby cards, stills, and frame blow-ups sprinkled throughout the book, Ed has provided a cornucopia of information on silent serials, and for this volume, Pathé Studios, as well.

Let me put it this way. When I finished the last sentence on the last page, I was a little melancholy, I didn't want it to end. Furthermore, during that lunch hour that I finished the book, I still had time to read, so I reread the preface, and was ready to start reading the whole thing over again. It's that great.

Highly recommended to serial fans (silent, sound or both), film fans and/or history fans. Seriously, go out and buy the book, it's awesome.

Needless to say, I can't, can't, can't wait for the second volume, HANDSOME HEROES AND VICIOUS VILLAINS.

The Longest Trek: My Tour of the Galaxy
The Longest Trek: My Tour of the Galaxy
by Grace Lee Whitney
Price: CDN$ 11.51
29 used & new from CDN$ 6.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but it's DeForest KELLEY, dammit!, Sept. 20 2013
Grace Lee Whitney's book is a good read and being a big Star Trek fan, it was good to finally find out why she left the original series (something I had always wondered about). Unfortunately, the reason is a classic tale of the Dark Side of Hollywood. It's good to see that in the end, she has found a new life.

The only thing that really bugged me was the misspelling of DeForest Kelley's last name, throughout the book! A minor quibble, but a pet peeve.

Highly recommended to Star Trek fans and fans of biographies.

Ghost Stories -Complete Series
Ghost Stories -Complete Series
DVD ~ Timeless
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 42.69
14 used & new from CDN$ 21.37

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining anthology series for the whole family, Nov. 27 2012
As a fan of anthology series, I always enjoy hearing about a show that I may have missed the first time around.

The series Ghost Stories is one of those shows and is suitable entertainment for the whole family. While there are scares to be found, there is very little violence and no gore.

The series consists of 44 episodes (30 minutes each) and the complete series set does contain them all, uncut.

The picture and sound quality are excellent, for a mid-1990s TV series.

I highly recommend to fans of a good ghost story and/or anthology shows.

Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 20.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 14.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Shout! Factory does it again with a killer Special Edition, Nov. 7 2012
This review is from: Halloween II [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
*Updated review on the Extras* (February 27, 2013)

This review concerns Shout! Factory's new Collector's Edition release of Halloween II, it is not a review of the film itself. But, in the interests of transparency, I do like this film.

The Blu-Ray transfer looks and sounds absolutely stunning. The film looks better than I have ever seen before (TV, VHS and DVD). I read that Shout! did a major upgrade in transferring the film to Blu-Ray and it shows.

In addition to the great transfer, Shout! must be commended on the stellar and abundant extras included in the 2-disc set:

PLEASE NOTE: I have not been able to view all the extras yet, but will add to the review as I do.

1. Television Cut With Added Footage Not Seen In The Theatrical Version

This comes on the second disc (DVD, not Blu-Ray) in the set. OK, watched the TV version now and it's enjoyable, especially seeing the way they re-cut and/or edit scenes, to fit TV censors and time constraints. In addition, there are different (albeit short) scenes that are used to bridge moments in the TV cut that are not seen at all in the original version. Overall, an interesting view and definitely a worthwhile extra.

2. Audio Commentary With Director Rick Rosenthal And Actor Leo Rossi (Theatrical Version)

3. Audio Commentary With Actor/Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock (Theatrical Version)

I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentaries yet, but I have heard they are very interesting and informative, can't wait!

4. The Nightmare Isn't Over!: The Making Of Halloween II - Featuring interviews with Director Rick Rosenthal, Actor/Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock, Actors Lance Guest, Leo Rossi, Nancy Stephens, Executive Producer Irwin Yablans, Director of Photography Dean Cundey, Co-Composer Alan Howarth and more!

Looking forward to watching this featurette, it's always a good sign when most of the cast/crew participates.

5. Horror's Hallowed Grounds: The Locations Of Halloween II - Host Sean Clark revisits the original shooting locations of the film

This was a great featurette that I was really looking forward to as I had already read the print version in HorrorHound magazine. It is interesting to see how some locations have changed drastically in the last 30+ years, while some have not changed a bit.

6. Deleted Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary From Director Rick Rosenthal

Decent deleted scenes, but what makes this featurette is the commentary on those scenes. All DVD releases with deleted scenes should have commentary on them, to put them in perspective as to why they weren't included.

7. Alternate Ending With Optional Audio Commentary From Director Rick Rosenthal

As with the Deleted Scenes, the commentary really helps put the alternate ending in perspective. And it's a pretty good alternate, with some key differences.

8. Theatrical Trailer

Love when they include trailers. It brings back memories for the ones I have seen and also shows how good the restoration on the Blu-Ray really is!

9. TV & Radio Spots

More fun nostalgia. Why can't trailers and TV spots be like this today?

10. Still Gallery

Some interesting shots and behind the scenes photos, but I always wish there was some sort of text to go along with these Still Galleries.

Overall, I highly recommend this release to Halloween fans, horror fans and fans of things that go bump in the night!
Thank you, Shout Factory!

The Lost Missile
The Lost Missile
DVD ~ Various
Price: CDN$ 12.95
14 used & new from CDN$ 8.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid early independent sci-fi movie, June 18 2012
This review is from: The Lost Missile (DVD)
This is a 50s Sci-Fi movie about a missile from space that suddenly appears, begins continuously orbiting the Earth, raining down destruction upon the inhabitants below.

A solid early independent Sci-Fi movie, with capable special effects and a solid story.

The Cheezy Flicks DVD does a good job of presenting this low-budget effort. The picture is a little soft, but clear, and the sound is solid and dialogue is easily understandable.

No extras on the film, unfortunately. The only extra is previews of other Cheezy Flicks offerings.

Recommended for Sci-Fi fans.

Celebrity Bowling
Celebrity Bowling
Price: CDN$ 12.21
17 used & new from CDN$ 5.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fun release, but could have had more episodes, April 26 2012
This review is from: Celebrity Bowling (DVD)
OK, I know it's cheesy, but I really enjoy Celebrity Bowling. It's a blast to watch those 60s and 70s movie and television icons we all enjoyed watching, just being themselves and engaging in a friendly game of bowling. From the clothes to the prizes offered to the endorsements for the products that sponsored the show, Celebrity Bowling is a fascinating time capsule from the 1970s.

I loved the first release, which was a 3-disc set that had a batch of episodes. The follow-up release, dedicated to the episodes of the show that featured stars of THE BRADY BUNCH and THE WALTONS was also a blast, but like this latest release, was only two episodes, totaling about 45 minutes. Though I was able to purchase both of these latter sets at the pre-sale price of $8.99, they don't offer quite the value of the original release.

Still, I hope S'more/Koch continues to release more episodes of the series, preferably in multi-disc sets.

Darkwolf
Darkwolf
DVD ~ Samaire Armstrong
Offered by newtownvideo_ca
Price: CDN$ 19.61
9 used & new from CDN$ 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars DVD is fine...movie sucks, Feb. 1 2012
This review is from: Darkwolf (DVD)
What else can I say? As a huge fan of werewolf movies, I was highly disappointed in the film. Horrible acting, lack of story and 1980s Mac computer level special effects, all combined make one waste of time.

As for the DVD itself: the picture and sound are fine, the special features acceptable and the disc played fine.

Page: 1 | 2