Profile for DS > Reviews

Content by DS

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

DS (Toronto)

MacroWikinomics
MacroWikinomics
by Don Tapscott
Price: CDN$ 21.32
13 used & new from CDN$ 1.44

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent account of the possible, April 14 2011
This review is from: MacroWikinomics (Hardcover)
Having read a few of Tapscott's earlier works, I already had a good sense of his views on collaboration. With Macrowikinomics, Tapscott and Williams they take their research to another level and their reader on a journey of the possible based on their observations of emerging practice. Few works of non-fiction have the boldness to outline how to take on the world's most significant challenges alongside an able examination of nascent business models. The authors set up a casual but informed tone that I found very readable, and this narrative voice led to a deeper connection to many of those interviewed that one doesn't always find in business or economic books.
To be clear, I found Macrowikinomics ambitious but that was not necessarily a bad thing. A thoughtful examination of the potential upside and downside to collaborative models and how they can integrate with the expectations of an increasingly powerful demographic could be viewed as very useful to those of us learning how to lead in a new era. In fact, I found myself constantly making notes of passages that contained opportunities for clients of mine. As such, I have already recommended the book to several people I work with as well as younger people I have been mentoring. It was worth my time for many reasons; prime among them is that I need to think more carefully about how to harness the possibility instead of resisting the changes underway.

Who's Your City?: How the Creative Economy Is Making Where to Live the Most Important Decision of Your Life
by Richard Florida
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable walk through "Who's Your City", May 24 2008
I enjoyed Florida's first two books as they brought clarity to a few things I had been thinking about regarding latent creative talent and the benefits of encouraging everyone to use it. In his latest work, we find that our location matters to many things including our collaborative potential and elements of subjective well-being which is in many ways intuitive, but Florida brings his keen observations and signature enthusiasm to the topic, while drawing upon an array of other relevant experts to make his case. Recommended.