Profile for Louis Sherman > Reviews

Content by Louis Sherman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Louis Sherman (New York, NY)

Work Of Chris Cunningham
Work Of Chris Cunningham
DVD ~ Aphex Twin
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 139.48
8 used & new from CDN$ 14.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The only way to have Chris over to your house....., Nov. 4 2003
This review is from: Work Of Chris Cunningham (DVD)
To be honest I didn't find the DVD lacking at all, to consider previous concerns: the videos that are not on the DVD suck. That's the bottom line. You wouldn't want to sit through those videos and they are better left alone to be re-run late at night on MTV2. Again the clip from FLEX is far more enjoyable than the entire film, which I have seen. I think that is is far better to have a sweet taste than to have the magic wear off after 5 minutes. That is the best section of FLEX and the rest is marginal. I think that many people are missing the point of this release. It is hand picked by Cunningham and it is his choice what is to be seen of his work. We are lucky enough to even have this on the shelf or in the player. To be more specific to the concerns above, the clip for the Auteurs 'light aircraft on fire' is terrible and all the best moments are in the stills on the directors file website and in the booklet. All the other videos that are not on the DVD are as bad (good) as your friends first paintings or demo tapes, just that, rehearsals for the real thing. I must agree that the Nissan commercial is a poor addition as the original is AMAZING! The content on this thing is a short cut and even bothering to mention that the music is by Boards of Canada is a bore, I'm sorry, anyone could have made the music to that clip. The booklet is interesting although not a far cry from a glossy magazine interview and offers little to no information on the videos. This DVD is fantastic to say the least although in today's market where we have to learn what size underwear the producer wears from our DVD-info-factoid-pills this DVD is lacking, I am sooooo pleased about this, because there is so little that you can actually learn from this information other than just that, and I don't give a damn what size underwear Cunningham wears. As far as the content from the MTV2 documentary, I mean commercial, Thank God it's not on there! That was the worst junk that I have ever seen! And the interviews with other directors? Oh my! Spike Jonze is the most BORING interview subject in the world! SNORE!!!! and to fill anyone in on the content of those interviews, here is EXACTLY what EVERY interview was like: (subject turns to person off screen) "Hey you remember that video I showed you? The one with the Creepy children?" "No." "Well, uh, that was cool huh huh." That was it! And Spike Jonze is bringing in this cheap looking latina and asking her about the video and she hasn't even seen it! It was a nightmare! Imagine the depth of a boring snooze fest Spike Jonze sitting with some latin goth kids on a sidewalk (one descibes Cunningham like a Slayer video) and spouting this junk.... This is the problem with the DVD addiction and as well the CD reissue craze, sacrificing quality for content. So what, it's missing hours and hours of worthless crap, GOOD!
This DVD is fantastic and do yourself a favour BUY IT! NOW!
Peace.
Here are the exact contents as listed on the case:
Autechre - second bad vibel
Aphex - come to daddy, windowlicker full and bleeped version.
Portishead - only you
madonna - frozen
leftfield - afrika shox
squarepusher - come on my selector
bjork - all is full of love, making of documentary
shorts / commericals - monkey drummer with afx, flex clip with afx, mental wealth (sony), photocopier (levis jeans), Engine (nissan short version), Drukqs clip with afx music.
ENJOY! !!!!!!