countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for The Seeker > Reviews

Content by The Seeker

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

The Seeker (Calgary)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Paranoid (Vinyl)
Paranoid (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 26.97
20 used & new from CDN$ 23.49

4.0 out of 5 stars 2009 Rhino (R1 78976) Warner Music 180g Heavy Vinyl, Jan. 2 2016
This review is from: Paranoid (Vinyl) (LP Record)
This is a very dynamic record drums jump out at you, an interesting listen. Having said that the tone is a little cool, the upper end detail which is very out front outshines the bottom end making me want to turn down the treble. The CD I have on the other hand has a warmer tone but at the expense of upper end detail and is not as dynamic. I think this record could probably be remastered in a way as to bring the best of both together and improve the overall sound. The vinyl itself is very good, not much surface noise that I noticed.

Fair & Square (Vinyl)
Fair & Square (Vinyl)
2 used & new from CDN$ 502.32

3.0 out of 5 stars 2007 Oh Boy (OBR-034) Oh Boy Music 180g Heavy Vinyl, Jan. 2 2016
This review is from: Fair & Square (Vinyl) (LP Record)
This record sounds pretty good for the most part. The depth is in and out depending on the song, but even when it is in it could go a little deeper. For that reason I turn the treble down a notch to keep John's voice from overpowering the bottom end. The biggest problem with this record is the vinyl itself which is awful. There are pops and clicks all over this record, but that isn't even the worst of it there are also short sections on a few songs where the cutting tool used to make the record gouged very noisy flaws in the vinyl making it almost unlistenable. Fot that reason I only listen to my CD which sounds very similar in everyway to the vinyl except ofcourse for the bonus tracks on which the vinyl has four more than the CD. Having said that, on my copy of the vinyl side four was the best with only a couple of pops and no gouging which I mentioned earlier. I should also mention that I returned one copy of the vinyl and bought another in hopes of getting a quieter copy with no luck second copy just as bad.

Hotel California (Vinyl)
Hotel California (Vinyl)
Offered by ScreamingCD
Price: CDN$ 233.06
7 used & new from CDN$ 32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 2009 Rhino / Asylum (R1 1084) Warner Music 180g Heavy Vinyl, Dec 28 2015
This is a very good sounding record. There is good depth, and the upper end detail is also very good. A nice warm feel to it along with good dynamics. The only problem I had was a few annoying clicks during some quiet passages from the vinyl, although most of the vinyl itself was fairly quiet.

Bat Out of Hell (Vinyl)
Bat Out of Hell (Vinyl)
3 used & new from CDN$ 17.00

1.0 out of 5 stars 2008 Epic / Cleveland (88697 26948 1) Sony Music 180g Heavy Vinyl, Dec 27 2015
For an album that was as popular as this it is surprising how bad it sounds. For most of the album all the sound comes out of the top half of the speakers absolutley no depth at all, the exceptions being tracks 5 and 6 which do sound a little better. Upper end detail is lacking once again tracks 5 and 6 are better. CD is no better. Overall a huge disappointment. The vinyl itself is very good not much surface noise on my copy.

Welcome to My Nightmare (Vinyl)
Welcome to My Nightmare (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 44.25
10 used & new from CDN$ 40.43

3.0 out of 5 stars 1975 Atlantic (SD 18130) Warner Music 120g Thin Vinyl, Dec 26 2015
The percussion on this recording seems to be a little too far back in the presentation. Cymbals are hard to hear and drums don't have enough impact. This becomes less noticable the louder you listen to it however. I prefer my older original copy to the Friday Music reissue finding that it seems to have slightly more depth and impact. The vinyl on my original is still in pretty good shape a little surface noise here and there but overall fairly quiet.

Wildflowers (Vinyl)
Wildflowers (Vinyl)

3.0 out of 5 stars 1994 Warner Bros. (9 45759-1) Warner Music 2lp 150g Medium Vinyl, Dec 25 2015
This review is from: Wildflowers (Vinyl) (LP Record)
The bottom end on this record is in and out, it was recorded at two different locations which is probably the reason. Even the songs that have more bottom end still have a cool tone. I found that the CD actually sounds a little warmer and to me is the more satisfying listen. The upper end outshines the lower half on either format making me want to turn the treble down a notch. The vinyl itself while pretty good does have some surface noise here and there but not too bad overall.

Vinyl Madonna - Ray Of Light (2 LP)
Vinyl Madonna - Ray Of Light (2 LP)
Offered by Rarewaves-CA
Price: CDN$ 26.70
25 used & new from CDN$ 26.70

4.0 out of 5 stars 2003 Maverick (9362-46847-1) Warner Music 2lp 180g Heavy Vinyl, Dec 20 2015
This is one of the best albums of the 90's. It has remarkably good depth. The only thing I could nitpick about is the upper end detail being a little too far back in the presentation making me want to turn the treble up a bit to bring it a little more forward, along with Madonna's voice. The tone is ever so slightly on the dark side. A very interesting listen good and dynamic. The vinyl itself however is quite noisy with clicks and some pops throughout the record, for that reason alone I give the edge to my CD.

Extreme Behavior (Vinyl)
Extreme Behavior (Vinyl)

3.0 out of 5 stars 2008 Republic (B0012274-01) Universal Music 180g Heavy Vinyl, Dec 19 2015
This vinyl is slightly more dynamic than the CD but doesn't go far enough. It has less depth but the tone is good. It has a lack of upper end detail, the soundstage is only average at best. Not a very engaging listen. The vinyl itself is very good no surface noise to speak of.

Top Gun (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Vinyl)
Top Gun (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 28.38
34 used & new from CDN$ 23.16

3.0 out of 5 stars 1986 Columbia (SC 40323) CBS 120g Thin Vinyl, Dec 19 2015
This is an example of how vinyl is not always better. I know CD's were a fairly new thing back in 1986 and maybe the music industry was taking more care in how they made them as opposed to vinyl which at the time was on its way out of favour. The vinyl copy I have had little depth and sounded cold, the upper end detail was not good. The CD I have has more depth and upper end detail making it sound warmer more the way music should sound. If you think buying the new 2015 release on vinyl will be better think again, I returned my copy because it had even less depth than my original record. A vinyl cash grab. The vinyl on my original record is good not much surface noise.

Private Dancer (Vinyl)
Private Dancer (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 44.73
21 used & new from CDN$ 19.45

3.0 out of 5 stars 2015 Parlophone (0825646120635) Warner Music 180g Heavy Vinyl, Dec 13 2015
This review is from: Private Dancer (Vinyl) (LP Record)
This record was recorded in many different locations which is probably why some songs have more depth than others. The songs with good depth sound pretty good, the ones with less depth sound bright. The upper end is a little strong througout for my taste. This is consistant with the original record and CD. The vinyl itself is very good no surface noise to speak of.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19