Profile for Thalia31883 > Reviews

Content by Thalia31883

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thalia31883 (Calgary)

The Encyclopedia of Crystals
The Encyclopedia of Crystals
by Judy Hall
11 used & new from CDN$ 47.56

5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE!, Feb. 4 2011
I have both the Crystal Bible and the Crystal Bible 2, so I expected this book to be around the same size as those two - but this book is MASSIVE! I have found the information to be very useful, and the layout and photos are great - I like that there are really obscure crystals and crystal/mineral combinations in this book, which can sometimes be hard to find in other books. Overall I am very impressed with this book but it would be nice if it was a little bit smaller with more pages to compensate for being smaller.

Everyday Raw Desserts
Everyday Raw Desserts
by Matthew Kenney
Price: CDN$ 15.67
37 used & new from CDN$ 9.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but ..., Feb. 4 2011
This review is from: Everyday Raw Desserts (Paperback)
So I must admit that I am VERY impressed with how delicious all of the photos look. I have only made one so far, which is the Banana Cream Pie, and it is delicious, but my biggest disappointment with this book is the large volume of nuts and high caloric content ingredients used in almost all of the recipes. I added up all of the ingredients for the Banana Cream Pie, and it works out to 1500 calories PER SLICE!!!!! Now I am by no means a calorie counter, but 1500 per slice (1/8) is quite excessive - I'm scared to eat anymore of the Banana Cream Pie or try anything else! But the photos and presentation are exquisite.

Everyday Raw
Everyday Raw
by Matthew Kenney
Price: CDN$ 15.67
41 used & new from CDN$ 8.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., Feb. 4 2011
This review is from: Everyday Raw (Paperback)
None of the recipes I have tried in this book came out looking like the photos - and they don't really taste like anything I'd ever eat again. The only good thing I have to say about this book is that it stays open to your page if you lay it flat on the counter, which most recipe books do not.

HIC Brands that Cook Citrus Peeler, Stainless Steel
HIC Brands that Cook Citrus Peeler, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Jan. 24 2011
This little kitchen tool is great! Works awesome on lemons and limes with tough skin, as well as other citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits.

Kristen Suzanne's Easy Raw Vegan Dehydrating: Delicious & Easy Raw Food Recipes for Dehydrating Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds, Pancakes, Crackers, B
by Kristen Suzanne
Price: CDN$ 8.68
20 used & new from CDN$ 8.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., Jan. 24 2011
I bought this book because I was excited for the pancake recipe ... and honestly, it wasn't that good. They smelled great, but that's where it ended - the result was very gummy and almost bitter tasting, even though I followed the recipe exactly as directed. The ingredients the author uses are hard to find raw (especially in Canada as many American companies will not export their food products into Canada) and I hated the fact that most of the recipes do not have a photo attached to show what the end result should look like.

Zyliss Avocado Tool
Zyliss Avocado Tool
Price: CDN$ 6.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed., Jan. 24 2011
This review is from: Zyliss Avocado Tool (Kitchen)
As someone who didn't know the first thing about cutting an avocado I jumped at the idea of this tool. This is definitely one of those cases when it looks better than it is. The first time I tried to use it, the serrated edge wasn't sharp enough to cut through the avocado skin without help from another knife. When I did get the skin penetrated and used this too to finish the cutting job I found that the edge didn't cut the avocado evenly as the tool itself is slightly curved to make scooping easier - to by the time I got my cut around the avocado and around to the starting point the lines were off by about a centimeter. And when I used the rounded part to help scoop out the pit the pit popped out and landed on my shirt, getting avocado and avocado oil all over where it landed. I finally gave up with trying to use the tool and went back to the old fashioned way of cutting an avocado and peeling the skin off - much more efficient and easy! I would not recommend this tool to anyone, but might consider giving it as a gift to someone I didn't like very much :)

Chef'n Leaf Shear Salad Shears, Arugula
Chef'n Leaf Shear Salad Shears, Arugula
Offered by langton_distribution
Price: CDN$ 7.77
3 used & new from CDN$ 7.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, Jan. 24 2011
I am not impressed with this kitchen tool. If you are cutting lettuce that isn't very thick the "scissors" only work when the lettuce is right by the back of the cutting surface, near where you hold the tool. I would not recommend this to someone, as I think a standard lettuce knife works much better.

Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer, Lime
Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer, Lime
Price: CDN$ 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Jan. 24 2011
Wow, this tool is incredible. It it honestly the best manual, hand-held juicing tool I have ever used. My only criticism would be that there is no squirt guard, so when you are juicing lemons or limes juice still squirts out the sides ... the best remedy I have found for this is a large bowl and holding the juicer on it's side (kind of as pictured in the main picture above) over the bowl. That way, when the juice squirts out the side (as it definitely will do) at least gravity will work in your favour and the juice will fall into the bowl, rather than squirt out and cover your kitchen (which it will do if you hold it the standard way). Overall I am incredibly impressed with the heavy duty nature of this tool.