Profile for Warren Kelly > Reviews

Content by Warren Kelly

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Warren Kelly (Southern Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2
A History of the Baptists
A History of the Baptists
by Robert G. Torbet
Price: CDN$ 33.74
24 used & new from CDN$ 10.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for students of church history, July 6 2004
First of all, I don't know what book the reviewer from South Carolina read. Torbet distances himself from so-called Baptist successionism in the very first chapter of the book. He traces the developement of the modern Baptist church to the Particular Baptists in England.
This is an outstanding overview of not only the history of the denomination, but the developement of the "Baptist Distinctives" that set Baptists apart from other evangelical denominations. There is a rich history behind the Baptist church -- it is unfortunate that the Trail of Blood advocates have clouded that heritage in questionable historiography.
If you want to know what the truth is behind the Baptist church's history, read this book -- not Carroll's fantasy work.

Lost In A Good Book
Lost In A Good Book
by Jasper Fforde
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding followup. When's the next one getting here?, Feb. 11 2004
This review is from: Lost In A Good Book (Hardcover)
I absolutely devoured this book. Within three days of receiving it from the Sci-Fi Book Club, I was done, licking my chops and waiting for the Well of Lost Plots to arrive.
If you didn't like the first book, my advice is don't waste your time and money with this one. The jokes are similar, the attitude toward literature is the same, the characters (and most of the characterization) are the same.
This is an easy world to get lost in. I've found myself wondering, as I read other books, about what the characters would do if they were in our world, or how they would interact with other fictional characters. The idea of Jurisfiction is brilliant, and there is no limit to the adventures that are available in this universe. Add to that the potential plot lines with the ChronoGuard ....
No plotline givaways here (you can read the other reviews for that). Just a few comments:
I LOVED the names of the expendable SO-15 agents. Slorter and Lamb were my favorites.
Ascheron's sister seems to be unbeatable. Should make for great drama later on.
I HOPE Thursday gets better at jumping from book to book -- although she SHOULD get a medal or something for jumping solo into Poe.
Through it all, Fforde displays the same wit that made me love The Eyre Affair. I'm ready for the next one.
I just wish there was a contest that fans in the States could get in on! By the time I got my book and looked at the crossword puzzle on the back, the contest was over!

Microsoft Links 2003 Championship Courses
Microsoft Links 2003 Championship Courses

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding addition to an outstanding game, Jan. 13 2004
I love golf. I absolutely stink at it, but I love it. A bad day on the golf course is still better than a good day at work.
I love Links 2K3. The course converter (which comes with the Links 2003 game, on CD #3 I believe, for anyone who is interested...) means that I can use older courses. This offering from Microsoft means that I have a ton of courses to play in addition to the older ones.
In fact, the only Microsoft course I DON'T like is Mesa Roja. Of course, I don't know too many Links players who do.
If you like this game, check out the Links Course Center at sportsplanet. More courses than you can shake a (golf) stick at! You'll never have to play the same one twice!!

Eyre Affair
Eyre Affair
by Jasper Fforde
Price: CDN$ 18.26
103 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Summer Reading, July 22 2003
This review is from: Eyre Affair (Paperback)
This book is NOT literature. This book IS, however, a great light read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
The premise is classic sci-fi -- alternate universe, detective work, chaos caused and averted. The details are what make the book.
Anyone who has no taste for literary classics will not understand the majority of this book. Set in an alternate world where classic authors are revered the way rock stars are here, the literary one-liners, puns, and casual references abound. Since classic literature is treated fairly casually, perhaps I should also caution those who take their literature too seriously -- especially Bronte fans.
Thursday Next, as a character, is fascinating. I was a bit disappointed with who she wound up marrying (no spoilers there -- the chapter titles would give that one away), but enjoyed the way that it came about. The rest of the LiteraTechs are fairly shallow in this book -- I have hopes that they will be fleshed out in later books.
There is a problem with point of view -- the book seems to shift from 1st person to 3rd person omniscient for no apparant reason, and that bugged me abit. Some of the characters were a little stereotypic -- uncle Mycroft is a great example of this, Jack Schitt is another, Asheron Hades himself a third.
My favorite part of the book was Thursday's father. I looked forward to each of his appearances, and would LOVE to see him get his own series of books.
All in all, this is not a perfect book, but it IS a great beach book, and I recommend it.

The Mystic Rose
The Mystic Rose
by Stephen R. Lawhead
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ending to a GREAT trilogy., July 18 2003
This review is from: The Mystic Rose (Paperback)
I have to say that, after reading some other reviews on here, that I almost didn't buy this book. Thankfully, my desire to finish this trilogy overcame any trepidation caused by poor reviews, so I purchased the book and brought it to the beach.
The book is not up to Lawhead's usual fare. The plot tends to drag in places, and some of the description becomes tediously overdone. I did enjoy the story, and found myself reading more than I had planned at each sitting(thank God for sunscreen, or I'd have been a lobster!). Cait's quest for the Grail, her desperate search for her sister -- these parts of the book drew me further. Her encounter with both the subjects of her search in the same place and her ... but I will say no more, so as to not give away precious plot points. Suffice to say that the book is well worth the time and effort in reading it. For those who have followed Murdo and Duncan, this book contributes to the BOTH stories that we have been following -- the story of the returning Crusader, and the story of the modern-day Cele De.

Walking The Bible
Walking The Bible
by Bruce Feiler
Price: CDN$ 20.06
45 used & new from CDN$ 2.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Journey of Faith, June 11 2003
This review is from: Walking The Bible (Hardcover)
Bruce Feiler has taken a spiritual journey and written of it in a way that I have not seen since I read Peter Jenkins' <i>Walk Across America</i>. But while Jenkins' account is of contemporary people and events, Feilier's tale consists of trying to place Biblical accounts into their proper setting, both historically and culturally.
To be fair, he does very little historical investigation. Most of this is confined to discussions with various scholars of various traditions and interpretations. The cultural position, however, becomes more and more relevant to both Feiler and his readers.
By tracing the Pentateuch geographically, we can see many things that are not included in the Biblical narratives. We understand the significance of minor events in Scripture, and we can see major events more fully. By exploring the geography in a contemporary setting, we can see interesting contrasts between Biblical times and our own, and can often see that we are not so different from them after all.

Essential Guide to Bible Versions
Essential Guide to Bible Versions
by Philip W. Comfort
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Reference Work, June 11 2003
The King James Version Only controversy still rages in many churches throuout the world (as can be seen from some of the reviews of this book). The greatest problem in the debate seems to be that many people do not understand the process by which the eclectic text and the critical text have been assembled. This book is an attempt to clarify this process.
Dr. Comfort's effort to make the finer points of modern textual criticism is a laudable effort, and will serve as a springboard to a more detailed investigatio of this topic. It is not, however, an introductory work, and many readers will have to consult other volumes to fully appreciate what Dr. Comfort states in this text.
Comfort does a good job at providing an overview of the major texts that comprise the critical text that most modern translations are derived from. He also presents a brief history of the 20th century translations, giving an overview of the strengths and weaknesses of each. The real value of this book, however, lies in its treatment of the so-called "missing verses" that KJV Only advocates contend have been "removed" from the modern versions. If more people on both sides of the debate were familiar with this material, there would be less misunderstanding and namecalling.
That said, the flag-waving for the New Living Translation is a little annoying. I am not as familiar with this translation as some of the others, but the continual preferance for this version over all other modern versions makes me suspect the author's motivations in writing this book.

Wide As the Waters: The Story of the English Bible and the Revolution It Inspired
by Benson Bobrick
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding View of History's Most Influential Book, June 11 2003
Bobrick tells his story of the English Bible from a different perspective than most. While many are simply telling how this great translation came to be, and what events led up to it's publication, Bobrick goes on to tell what impact the vernacular Bible had on the world, tracing it's influence to the American Revolution and beyond.
Bobrick does not limit himself to the King James Bible; as the title indicates, he is telling the story of the Bible translated into English. Fittingly, he starts with John Wycliffe and the Lollards in England. Without these men and their insistance on teaching and preaching in the common language, rather than the Latin of the Church, a vernacular Bible -- in any language -- would have never come to pass.
William Tyndale comes next, with his full English translation -- the first full English translation made. Bobrick shows the dedication that this man had to the Word of God, as he fled his homeland rather than stop his translation efforts. Tyndale's translation work inspired many to follow in his footsteps.
Bobrick also makes sure to include people like Miles Coverdale, people who were responsible for English translations before the King James. Many people have forgotten that the KJV is NOT the first English Bible, or even the first that was authorized by the King. Bobrick makes sure that the people responsible for these versions do not go unrecognized.
Bobrick then makes the connection between the vernacular Bible and the American Revolution. This may make readers scrath their heads, but Bobrick presents his case well, as befits a historian whose primary field is the American Revolution era.
This book, paired with Alistair McGrath's In The Beginning, presents an outstanding resoure on the history of English language Bibles. My only problem with Bobrick's work is the tedious footnoting method that is used. I am hopeful that future editions change this to the more standard system of notation.

In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How It Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture
by Alister McGrath
Price: CDN$ 14.40
29 used & new from CDN$ 1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars No Christian Should Be Without This Book, June 11 2003
At a time when Protestant Christians are engaged in a battle over the Bible, specifically which version is the "real one", a good, conscise history of the one translation that many feel is the only one is an invaluable asset to all Christians. Without marginalizing the King James Version at all, and in fact praising it rather highly in his conclusion, McGrath shows the struggles that resulted in the publication of this great translation made from several good ones.
While telling this story, though, McGrath does more. He tells the story of William Tyndale and his ground-breaking Bible. He tells the story of James I's betrayal of the Puritans, who thought they had a friend in this new King. He tells the story of the rise of English as an actual language. He connects the Reformation taking place in Europe. And then he shows how all these events impacted the development of the KJV.
This book is a great read, either in search of information or just as a casual, free-reading book. I also recommend Bobrick's Wide As the Waters. Both books cover the same ground, but from different perspectives.

Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History ofChristianity
Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History ofChristianity
by Mark A. Noll
17 used & new from CDN$ 17.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Starting Point, June 11 2003
With this book, Mark Noll provides an introductory-level study of Christian history - NOT as a sweeping movement over thousands of years (which many larger, more ambitious works encompass), but as a series of turning points - events that changed the way Christianity perceived itself, and was perceived by the world. In this way, a student can gain a quick introduction to many of the issues that have faced Christianity throughout history without being overwhelmed by dates, names, doctrines, etc.
Obviously, as with any "best of" listing, there are things I would have liked to have seen added. There is no mention of the Scopes trial, and Darwinism receives small mention. This trial, more than any other event, triggered the rise of fundamentalism, which has certainly had an impact on the way Christianity is perceived. The controversy over Darwinism still shapes Christian thought today -- as can be seen in Noll's The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind.
Overall, an excellent resource, though I would encourage readers to invest in a more thorough treatment of Christian history in addition to this book.

Page: 1 | 2