Profile for Joellen Corr > Reviews

Content by Joellen Corr

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Joellen Corr

Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
by Anne Heche
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO!, July 28 2003
Thank you, Anne, for sharing with us the most intimate details of your life. The things Anne has been through are amazing and the work she has done on herself is incredible. That someone can grow up in such grotesque surroundings in which any sliver of individuality was completely suppressed and subsequently develop enough strength to face the demons that were left inside them self is amazing! I can't help but be inspired by her strength and by the message she puts forth in the book, that you cannot love or receive love from another person until you love yourself and allow yourself to be who you are. Cliché, yes, but Anne does a beautiful job of showing us how she is working to achieve just that. In this book Anne shares with us the most hideous parts of the abuse she endured as a child and the ugliness she later faced in therapy and in her life. I had to keep reminding myself that this was non-fiction; I just couldn't believe this really happened. Although some parts were tough to get through, upon finishing the book I feel hopeful. As a social worker, I am fully aware of the many forms of abuse that exist within our society. The only people that can stop the cycle of abuse are those stuck in the cycle, the victims of abuse. These people must posses the energy and the courage to face themselves and their beliefs about themselves that have been put in their head by their abuser so as to not perpetuate the abuse. Anne has proven that it is possible. This is a brave piece of work Anne has put together and I am inspired by her courage and strength!

Voyage To India (Ltd.Ed)
Voyage To India (Ltd.Ed)
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 5.86
32 used & new from CDN$ 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars 5+++, July 24 2003
India.arie has helped me go with the flow and enjoy the ups nd downs of life! I love her voice, it is soothing and picks me up when I am feeling suffocated by my own thinking. Personally I own and love both of her CD's. I pick Voyage to India as my favorite however because it has more spiritual tone, and while I am not particularly religous, I enjoy that aspect of this CD. I still listen to Acoustic Soul all the time, I just love HER! Highly recommend this CD for anyone who wants to relax or help themselves go with the flow of life.

Slow Burn
Slow Burn
by Stu Mittleman
Price: CDN$ 13.36
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Focus on the process, July 23 2003
This review is from: Slow Burn (Paperback)
Contrary to the title, for me this book was more about finding the JOY in running and less about buring calories. By changing my thoughts and form while running I immediatly found myself able to run farther and enjoy the process more. This book is about getting away from delaying happiness until some long term goal is met and about enjoying the expirience of exersizing. You will not find a 16-week marathon program in this book.
I did invest in a heart rate monitor, as strongly advocated by Mittleman. While I have found it to be very useful and believe me gauge me level of effort during my workouts, I do not see it as a must. I believe Mittleman's other suggestions on how to gauge your level of effort, including using visual clues and breathing, to be as much if not more useful.
Reading the book did improve the expirience of running for me, no doubt. I had trouble, however, with Stu's dietary suggestions. They seem extreme to me and, while I 100% believe they work for many individuals, there is not enough how-to in that section for me. That is Stu's way though, he believes we each should find out own way- including deciding which exersize programs are right for each of us- and that I do appreciate.

Eat Smart, Play Hard: Customized Food Plans for All Your Sports and Fitness Pursuits
by Liz Applegate
Price: CDN$ 14.56
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your money on this one, April 25 2002
I agree with others who have said this book is just too simplistic. I am not an expert but consider myself to be very knowledgeable in the area of nutrition and sports nutrition. This book did not offer anything I did not already know and in my opinion it has close to nothing to offer athletes. Liz Applegate writes a column for Runners World magazine in which she shares alot of useful information, unfortunatly she seems to have left it all out of this book. I usually do not write such poor reviews however I read runners world monthly and do not feel that the book deserves the "hype" it has recieved.

Sugar Busters!
Sugar Busters!
by H. Leighton Steward
122 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars good nutrition advice, not enough "how to", April 7 2002
This review is from: Sugar Busters! (Hardcover)
The premise of this book is the glycemic index (GI). The main concept is that the lower the GI of a specific food, the better it is for weight loss and energy. In order to comply with this way of eating one must be willing to cut back on bread (2 slices a day for weight loss, 3 for maintnence), and give up white flour products, corn, white potatoes and white rice. The book provides a lengthy description of why GI is important for weight loss which helps one understand the logic behind this diet. Also included is a 14 day meal plan and a "subsitutions" list to help the reader replace foods they regularly eat with healthier, lower glycemic foods. One problem I had with this book is that the authors make many claims that they do not provide research to back. I strongly suggest anyone purchasing this book also purchase the "Shoppers Guide", as it can be tricky figuring out which foods are allowed and which are not. I have been on this "diet" for a couple days and so far feel more energetic and less hungry. I am interested to see, however, if I am able to maintain this way of eatting. I would recomend this book to individuals who are able to have restraint regarding what they eat (the "how to") and are in need of nutritional advice.

What Are You Hungry For?: Women, Food, and Spirituality
What Are You Hungry For?: Women, Food, and Spirituality
by Lynn Ginsburg
23 used & new from CDN$ 1.32

4.0 out of 5 stars this is a good book..., Feb. 24 2002
...to get you thinking. The authors briefly share each of their previous eating issues and their recovery. They then carry you through the expirince of getting in touch with your deepest needs and desires, which begins with you identifying your "life purpose". You will then incorporate this purpose into the remanider of the exersizes in the book.
From a person who has battled body and food issues for some time, the authors present a new way of viewing my feelings and struggles. Take note that there are many exersizes (which they refer to as "practices") that are time consuming. In addition, to get the most out of this book, you have to be at a place where you are really ready to look at your food/body issues. It is not a diet book, it does not advocate weight loss. The goal, as I see it, is peace.
I personally have yet to follow all the exersizes but believe that when I am ready to truely confront my food/body deamons and take the time for the practices, this will be just what I need. (had i already done more of the exersizes I may have given the book 5 stars).

The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
by John "The Penguin" Bingham
Price: CDN$ 12.27
93 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars garunteed to get you going, Feb. 24 2002
I have tried becoming a "runner" many times in the past..I was on the "brink" once again when I read this book and have now been running 4-5 days a week since reading the book about 2 months ago.
The author makes you realize how anyone can enjoy, and even become addicted to this elusive, seemingly insane activity. Unlike many other running books, he doesn't ever say "you just have to really want it", he just tells his story, in which, after many years of inactivity and weight gain, he took up running at age 43.
The focus of this book is on enjoying the process, not the end result (how many min. it takes you to run a mile) of running. If you are looking for nutrition or speed advice, this is not the book for you. If you want an inspiration easy read, this IS the book!

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
by Susan Jeffers
102 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amoung the best!!, Aug. 30 2001
Facing a tough situation in life? Maybe you're not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel? This book will get you through. Susan Jeffers has a lot of experience dealing with clients both one-on-one and in groups and it shows. Because of all of her experience and ability to understand people she is able to make all the presented info in this book very easy to apply. Ms. Jeffers makes many references to real people and their experiences, making the book realistic and useful.
My favorite chapter discusses the topic of making a no-lose decision. It has helped me MANY times when I have felt frozen by an inability to make a decision. The author frames such a situation in the light that, no matter which way you go, you will be rewarded with "goodies" in the end. It is not so much a focus on helping the reader iron out the details of a situation to figure out the most perfect answer or solution (which I so often TRY to do) but is about realizing that no matter what you decide, things will work out! It is refreshing for me as I can go crazy with over analyzing.
This book focuses not so much on changing your life circumstances but on changing how you VIEW things in your life. You are not a prisoner of life but just of how you view things. This is not new, I know, it certainly was not Ms. Jeffers original idea. BUT, what I love about this book is that the reader is given the TOOLS, or the how-to, on how to change his or her view. This is not just about soul-searching but, for me, provides instant relief time and time again.
The idea is that the more you FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY, the less you will be frozen by future fear. Ms. Jeffers also makes it clear that the reader is not alone in his or her fear. She states that even the people one might label as "successful" have felt fearful. These people have not, however, allowed that fear to stop them. They feel the fear but keep moving forward.

Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
by Phillip C. McGraw
259 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Information, Jan. 5 2001
As an avid reader of self-help books, I really enjoyed this book and feel it contains a good deal of information. I felt empowered by Dr McGraw's views that we are all responsible for our own actions. Although this is not a new concept to me, the manner in which he explains this was powerful, for example, "if you chose thoughts that demean and deppreciate you, then you chose the consequences of low self-esteem and low self-confidence". Also, his discussion of filters and his ways of helping the reader uncover their own filters was empowering. Take heed though, do not waste your money buying this book if you do not want to put in the time and do the work. There are a total of 18 personal growth/get to know yourself "assignments" throughout the book and you must take the time to write your thoughts related to each assignment. These assignments are extremly useful however it is certain that if you do not put forth the needed effort, you will not acheive maximum results.