Profile for debby > Reviews

Content by debby

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

debby "mystery lover" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 36.25
23 used & new from CDN$ 22.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best., Jan. 16 2015
This review is from: The Field of Blood: Set 1 (DVD)
Average to put it kindly. The premise is interesting - a young reporter craves investigative work and gets wrapped up in a case very close to home. She apparently (at a tender age - twenty maybe at most) knows way more than the Scottish detectives or any other reporter on her paper where her job is mostly as a 'gopher'.
Nonetheless, she pursues 'the story' and solves a long standing murder mystery. The actress was very cold, and seldom smiled or laughed - a rather stale personality other than her drive to succeed and she put herself into extremely dangerous situations. I found some of the scenes downright ridiculous. However a good back up cast, some nice twists made this passable. It doesn't even come close to other series I've watched such as the superior Line of Duty. The colorless scenes and dreary photography lend a melancholy aura to what could have been more exciting and intriguing. Not terrible or poor even - just average in my opinion (husband agreed!)

Line of Duty - Series 1
Line of Duty - Series 1
DVD ~ Lennie James
Price: CDN$ 39.74
22 used & new from CDN$ 25.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Series, Jan. 10 2015
This review is from: Line of Duty - Series 1 (DVD)
We loved this police thriller! The acting is excellent and the plot twists and turns keep you on the edge of your seat - it is addictive. We also got season 2 since it follows 'some' of the plot lines (don't want to spoil it) from season one and season 2 is just as good. I can't wait for a Season 3-4. The British really know how to make superb crime/drama and this series is top notch - highly recommend.

Hairfor2 Hair Thickener 100ml (Dark-Brown)
Hairfor2 Hair Thickener 100ml (Dark-Brown)
Offered by Hairfor2 Canada (Lilywhite Cosmetics Inc.)
Price: CDN$ 29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Product, Dec 10 2014
What a joke - you might as well put brown paint on your head. My husband used it to spray paint part of our fence - don't wast your money.

Laurie Gates 12 Piece Melamine Dinnerware Set
Laurie Gates 12 Piece Melamine Dinnerware Set

5.0 out of 5 stars This will go in the dishwasher and is BPA free - and it looks and feels like ceramic ware - love it, Dec 7 2014
Fabulous and gorgeous dinnerware! This exceeded my expectations and I ordered a second set. I'm not concerned about it not being oven/microwave proof as I have plenty of dishware appropriate for 'heat'. This will go in the dishwasher and is BPA free - and it looks and feels like ceramic ware - love it!!!

David Jason: The Autobiography
David Jason: The Autobiography
by David Jason
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.13

4.0 out of 5 stars We own the entire series and have enjoyed watching them (some more than once) over the years, July 18 2014
First let me say that my husband and I are huge fans of A Touch of Frost in which David Jason plays the detective, Inspector Jack Frost. We own the entire series and have enjoyed watching them (some more than once) over the years. So I decided to get the autobiography for a bit of insight into the 'real' man. Sir David does gives us little glimpses. His early childhood experiences are very clearly described along with his insecurities and adventures (and misadventures). Everything written has a humorous and self-deprecating touch to it and you learn that struggling actors are just regular people after all.
I found the middle of the book a bit slow going however. For whatever reasons, Sir David gets a bit bogged down in all his various parts, auditions, rejections, and job offers and the 'human' element gets a bit lost. I was most curious of course in the development of the Frost character (personal choice) and found that section more interesting. Many of the comedies he describes were not shown on Canadian Television so perhaps that was why the long and elaborate details surrounding them didn't resonate with me.
As for the later years of his personal life...I feel he dispatched the facts in a very quick, brief way. He devotes only a few pages to the tragedy of his partner's death (although he does acknowledge his obvious pain)...I'd have loved to know a bit more about her and their relationship (this is after all an autobiography) and he really skims along when it comes to his marriage and the birth of his daughter.
Overall the book is an easy read (despite some repetitive chapters - ie. the roles change but the scenerio is the same - will he get the job, how he struggles with the job etc.) and Sir David has a wonderful sense of humor so the book is 'laugh out loud' funny. I am just sorry that he kept his autobiography so superficial - as noted, there are a few glimpses into his persona but not enough to feel you really know the man - although you will surely know his resume. Despite my disappointment in the 'narrowness' of the book, I'd still recommend it. This actor has given millions of people so much joy through his impressive body of work over many years and I am very glad I purchased and read his latest contribution.

Ripper Street: Season Two
Ripper Street: Season Two
DVD ~ Matthew Macfadyen
Price: CDN$ 19.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, April 19 2014
This review is from: Ripper Street: Season Two (DVD)
We loved Season One and eagerly awaited Season Two - yikes - what a huge disappointment! The music is so loud that you literally cannot make out anything anyone is saying. The first disc had an interesting plotline - the drug invasion into Whitechapel - replete with crooked cops and traffikers of narcotics. However there was so much fighting, bloodletting and gruesome action, that the fine acting we enjoyed in Series One was lost in the loud circus atmosphere of Series Two. Every other scene comprised of fist fights, stabbings and drug taking. I wouldn't recommend this unless you enjoy extreme violence and sparse character development.

The Bletchley Circle: Season 2
The Bletchley Circle: Season 2
Price: CDN$ 24.17
27 used & new from CDN$ 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS - I PRAY FOR A SEASON THREE, April 19 2014
This is an outstanding series. We enjoyed the first season and were thrilled that a second season emerged. The stories are gripping and the acting is terrific. If you like crime/detective/spy type films of high quality, then you can't go wrong. My only disappointment is that there aren't ten discs or more! Highly recommend!!!

Kiss Me Deadly (Widescreen)
Kiss Me Deadly (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Ralph Meeker
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 35.36
13 used & new from CDN$ 14.36

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, stupid and loud, March 22 2014
This review is from: Kiss Me Deadly (Widescreen) (DVD)
Don't waste your money on this. I bought it based on the rave reviews but clearly I must have missed something! The acting is terrible - everyone shouting, screaming and running around. The plot is ridiculous and the ending ... well just as ridiculous. Ralph Meeker is okay and the film begins with some promise. It soon deteriorates into total silliness. My husband couldn't watch it to the end.

DNA: The Complete Series 1 and 2
DNA: The Complete Series 1 and 2
DVD ~ Samantha Bond
Price: CDN$ 36.72
8 used & new from CDN$ 27.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Ridiculous, Jan. 27 2014
This series sounded intriguing and since we like mysteries, we thought we'd give it a try. The premise of the first two shows is that the lead 'good guy' (Tom Conti) having suffered a breakdown must now prove he isn't responsible for a series of crimes. There are a number of aspects that make this utterly ridiculous in my opinion. First of all there is great detail given to the fastidious care taken by the team. They literally wear 'HazMat' suits when collecting DNA and every little hair and fibre is examined with various computer technology. I presume this is to lend credibility and reality to the show. Yet when the 'good guy' is bonked on the head with a crowbar he sustains absolutely NO injury! He miraculously survives a beating and a near drowning and resumes life as if nothing happened! At the end, another bonk with the crowbar on another character also leaves NO BLOOD on the victim! -really? We suffer through all the 'realistic' stuff only to come to this fantasy.

Tom Conti is mismatched with his wife - a sexy runaround. He is super casual and accepting (beyond belief) of her behaviour. Another ridiculous inconsistency is that when a very 'bad' suspect is questioned by police, he has his lawyer present. However when Conti's teenage son is questioned for many hours and days - no lawyer. Too many major flubs - too many 'really?' moments to make this a plausible storyline. We bailed after the first two shows - too ridiculous for words.

Ripper Street
Ripper Street
DVD ~ Matthew Macfadyen
Price: CDN$ 21.98
26 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!, Dec 21 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street (DVD)
We loved Ripper Street Season One and can't wait to get Season Two. The acting is outstanding and the characters are so well developed. The plotlines are intriguing and reflect the time period of the late eighteen hundreds. While there is a lot of violence, I didn't find it offensive in any way - it wasn't over the top - just enough that was necessary to the plot and I tend to be sensitive to 'gore'. I highly highly recommend this series!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3