Profile for debby > Reviews

Content by debby
Top Reviewer Ranking: 859

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

debby "mystery lover" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Broadchurch: Season 2
Broadchurch: Season 2
DVD ~ David Tennant
Price: CDN$ 29.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 25.98

2.0 out of 5 stars we get it (one character even waxes on about the ripple effect of the tragedies as wewatch huge waves lick the rocks and sand)-, June 10 2015
This review is from: Broadchurch: Season 2 (DVD)
I couldn't wait to purchase Series 2 after the outstanding Series One, but this second entry wasn't even close to the taut, gripping mystery of the original. As noted by another reviewer, the story re-examines the entire premise of the first series in which the unfolding of the murder of young Daniel Latimer is clearly depicted. So we are left to wonder what new evidence might pop up (nothing) to change things. The characters spend their time on the screen either yelling, pushing, punching or having sex - oh and of course crying. Intertwined with the very very (painfully) slow development of the Joe Miller trial, is the Sandbrook case - so disjointed, so muddled and so rife with investigative errors, that it's ridiculous. In fact a suspect in that case is introduced right at the end...and of course he is just another red herring. I felt that David Tennent (Hardy) was extremely difficult to understand and he was also very one dimensional - always 'tortured'. Similarly, Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman) was in a perpetual state of angst - scowling or crying- and thus the criminal investigation and the trial (central to the plot) became secondary snippets with the torment of the characters taking full stage. The scenery, which is the only strength in my opinion - is gorgeous but even its beauty is exploited with a heavy hand as angry confrontations take place against lush, gorgeous settings - duh?...we get it (one character even waxes on about the ripple effect of the tragedies as we watch huge waves lick the rocks and sand)- the endless metaphors, similes, characterizations were a bit over the top for my taste as I prefer much more subtlety. The mystery is dribbled out, enhanced by eerie music and quick flips to other scenes which are meant to have the viewer 'on the edge'. The last scene on Episode seven (there are eight episodes) leaves off just when the jury is about to give its verdict (now who would have seen that coming?). To stress how slow and tedious this series was, I can end with this example. Episode five of our edition froze and try as my husband might, he couldn't get it to work. So we moved on to Episode six and guess what? - missed absolutely nothing!
If you enjoyed the first series, you might be disappointed by this - if you didn't see the first series, this may be hard to get into. Overall a very disappointing and 'draggy' experience.

Great Train Robbery [DVD] [Import]
Great Train Robbery [DVD] [Import]
Offered by nagiry
Price: CDN$ 16.41
9 used & new from CDN$ 16.40

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent movie (two parts) about a true case, June 6 2015
This is an excellent movie (two parts) about a true case. The acting is first rate and the story unfolds in an interesting and suspenseful way. I found myself 'googling' all the characters to see what became of them. If you like British productions and true crime this is the DVD for you! A thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining experience.

Father Brown: Season Two
Father Brown: Season Two
DVD ~ Various
Price: CDN$ 45.99
15 used & new from CDN$ 36.24

4.0 out of 5 stars We have Season One (excellent) and enjoyed Season Two, June 5 2015
This review is from: Father Brown: Season Two (DVD)
We have Season One (excellent) and enjoyed Season Two. This second series depicts some interesting plots - some a bit over the top - but each one is done well. The acting is very good - you really get to enjoy the characters - and the scenery is quite beautiful. Father Brown explores some darker subject matter but offsets this with a lighthearted edge. Overall - good fun, enjoyable entertainment similar to the Midsummer Murders genre. I also have purchased (and am awaiting) Season Three.

True Detective: Season 1
True Detective: Season 1
DVD ~ Matthew McConaughey
Price: CDN$ 34.97
13 used & new from CDN$ 34.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, June 5 2015
This review is from: True Detective: Season 1 (DVD)
Despite the excellent acting of Woody Harrelson, this show is (IMO) very slow moving, morbid and disturbing. Matthew McConaughey portrays his character in a very one dimensional way - self-reflecting on philosophy and religion and mumbling and rambling ad nauseum. The first two episodes were intriguing, albeit grim, but by the third one it became tiresome. The plot moves at a snail's pace. I agree with the reviews that point to good acting - most of the cast is very good (with the exception of the tedious McCaughey) but they can't save the series from a very dark, often unbelievable plot which meanders all over the place (literally) and my husband and I lost interest. We do enjoy good acting and a good mystery but this went a little (or a lot) too far in the gruesome, dark recesses of depravity and ceased to be entertaining in any way.

The Field of Blood: Set 1
The Field of Blood: Set 1
DVD ~ Jayd Johnson
Price: CDN$ 36.99
25 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best., Jan. 16 2015
This review is from: The Field of Blood: Set 1 (DVD)
Average to put it kindly. The premise is interesting - a young reporter craves investigative work and gets wrapped up in a case very close to home. She apparently (at a tender age - twenty maybe at most) knows way more than the Scottish detectives or any other reporter on her paper where her job is mostly as a 'gopher'.
Nonetheless, she pursues 'the story' and solves a long standing murder mystery. The actress was very cold, and seldom smiled or laughed - a rather stale personality other than her drive to succeed and she put herself into extremely dangerous situations. I found some of the scenes downright ridiculous. However a good back up cast, some nice twists made this passable. It doesn't even come close to other series I've watched such as the superior Line of Duty. The colorless scenes and dreary photography lend a melancholy aura to what could have been more exciting and intriguing. Not terrible or poor even - just average in my opinion (husband agreed!)

Line of Duty - Series 1
Line of Duty - Series 1
DVD ~ Lennie James
Price: CDN$ 35.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 27.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Series, Jan. 10 2015
This review is from: Line of Duty - Series 1 (DVD)
We loved this police thriller! The acting is excellent and the plot twists and turns keep you on the edge of your seat - it is addictive. We also got season 2 since it follows 'some' of the plot lines (don't want to spoil it) from season one and season 2 is just as good. I can't wait for a Season 3-4. The British really know how to make superb crime/drama and this series is top notch - highly recommend.

Hairfor2 Hair Thickener 100ml (Dark-Brown)
Hairfor2 Hair Thickener 100ml (Dark-Brown)
Offered by Hairfor2 Canada (Lilywhite Cosmetics Inc.)
Price: CDN$ 29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Product, Dec 10 2014
What a joke - you might as well put brown paint on your head. My husband used it to spray paint part of our fence - don't wast your money.

Laurie Gates 12 Piece Melamine Dinnerware Set
Laurie Gates 12 Piece Melamine Dinnerware Set

5.0 out of 5 stars This will go in the dishwasher and is BPA free - and it looks and feels like ceramic ware - love it, Dec 7 2014
Fabulous and gorgeous dinnerware! This exceeded my expectations and I ordered a second set. I'm not concerned about it not being oven/microwave proof as I have plenty of dishware appropriate for 'heat'. This will go in the dishwasher and is BPA free - and it looks and feels like ceramic ware - love it!!!

David Jason: The Autobiography
David Jason: The Autobiography
by David Jason
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars We own the entire series and have enjoyed watching them (some more than once) over the years, July 18 2014
First let me say that my husband and I are huge fans of A Touch of Frost in which David Jason plays the detective, Inspector Jack Frost. We own the entire series and have enjoyed watching them (some more than once) over the years. So I decided to get the autobiography for a bit of insight into the 'real' man. Sir David does gives us little glimpses. His early childhood experiences are very clearly described along with his insecurities and adventures (and misadventures). Everything written has a humorous and self-deprecating touch to it and you learn that struggling actors are just regular people after all.
I found the middle of the book a bit slow going however. For whatever reasons, Sir David gets a bit bogged down in all his various parts, auditions, rejections, and job offers and the 'human' element gets a bit lost. I was most curious of course in the development of the Frost character (personal choice) and found that section more interesting. Many of the comedies he describes were not shown on Canadian Television so perhaps that was why the long and elaborate details surrounding them didn't resonate with me.
As for the later years of his personal life...I feel he dispatched the facts in a very quick, brief way. He devotes only a few pages to the tragedy of his partner's death (although he does acknowledge his obvious pain)...I'd have loved to know a bit more about her and their relationship (this is after all an autobiography) and he really skims along when it comes to his marriage and the birth of his daughter.
Overall the book is an easy read (despite some repetitive chapters - ie. the roles change but the scenerio is the same - will he get the job, how he struggles with the job etc.) and Sir David has a wonderful sense of humor so the book is 'laugh out loud' funny. I am just sorry that he kept his autobiography so superficial - as noted, there are a few glimpses into his persona but not enough to feel you really know the man - although you will surely know his resume. Despite my disappointment in the 'narrowness' of the book, I'd still recommend it. This actor has given millions of people so much joy through his impressive body of work over many years and I am very glad I purchased and read his latest contribution.

Ripper Street: Season Two
Ripper Street: Season Two
DVD ~ Matthew Macfadyen
Price: CDN$ 19.49
26 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, April 19 2014
This review is from: Ripper Street: Season Two (DVD)
We loved Season One and eagerly awaited Season Two - yikes - what a huge disappointment! The music is so loud that you literally cannot make out anything anyone is saying. The first disc had an interesting plotline - the drug invasion into Whitechapel - replete with crooked cops and traffikers of narcotics. However there was so much fighting, bloodletting and gruesome action, that the fine acting we enjoyed in Series One was lost in the loud circus atmosphere of Series Two. Every other scene comprised of fist fights, stabbings and drug taking. I wouldn't recommend this unless you enjoy extreme violence and sparse character development.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3