Profile for Brian Spence > Reviews

Content by Brian Spence

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brian Spence "bspence11" (Arlington, VA United States)

A Mighty Wind (Widescreen) [Import]
A Mighty Wind (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Christopher Guest
Offered by Round3CA
Price: CDN$ 3.27
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible movie, I'm so embarassed, Jan. 7 2004
I bought this movie as a gift for my brother because it was cheap, he likes folk music, and because 'Spinal Tap' and 'Best in Show' are hilarious. I'd never seen it, but since it came from the people who put out those movies, it had to be at least decent, right? WRONG!!
This is the worst comedy I've ever seen in my life. There I was, after Christmas with my family, and we decide to pop it in. 'It should be great', I tell them. Then silence. Then my mom fell asleep. Then people decided to get up and get something to drink. Then my sister-in-law decides to 'turn in early'. Not one laugh from anyone the entire time.
The only redeeming part about it was whether they were going to kiss at the end. Excuse me, if that's the only redeeming quality about a COMEDY, then that blows.
God, I'm never buying a movie sight unseen again. Thankfully it wasn't my brother's only present.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Bilingual) [Import]
Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ Antonio Banderas
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 9.16
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great action flick that you need to pay attention to, Jan. 7 2004
I think many people wanted an action flick with your typical plot. This is one that you need to pay attention to, folks! Loved it.
Depp was great, as were Banderas and Hayek.

Sandman, The: Endless Nights
Sandman, The: Endless Nights
by Neil Gaiman
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Great return to great characters, Dec 2 2003
Reading this made me feel like I'd never left. Gaiman was pushing the envelope near the end of the series, and while he could have returned to Sandman by just phoning it in (I'd still have been happy), he decides to push the envelope still. Read the Desire or Despair chapters to see what I mean. Then read the Destruction or Death stories to get back to 'classic' Sandman stuff.
Some might not get the references (like the DCU references in the Dream story (hint: Green Lantern and Superman mythos)). Some won't. That's the way it should be.
Great job Neil.

Promethea Book One
Promethea Book One
by Alan Moore
Price: CDN$ 15.15
29 used & new from CDN$ 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic books are not a genre, geez, Nov. 7 2003
This review is from: Promethea Book One (Paperback)
Sorry, just had to say that to the review below. SUPERHEROES and pseudo-mysticism. You're dismissing the fact that many, many comics have nothing to do with spandex.
Promethea is an incredible story. No, it's not for everyone, yet it's one of the deepest, most complex stories that Moore has ever created.
The most recent issue was AMAZING. It's all about to wrap up, and like all of Moore's larger works, everything has a point. He's been building to this incredible finale.
The artwork is just gorgeous as hell, too. One of the most ambitious talents in the industry. I'm so surprised at how well he changes his style to mimic other styles depending on what's happening in the script. His covers are the best, too.