ARRAY(0xf345b28)

Profile for Sidhe Salaris > Reviews

Content by Sidhe Salaris

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Sidhe Salaris (USA)

Hidden Prey
Hidden Prey
by John Sandford
83 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Winding down..in more ways than one, June 14 2004
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Hardcover)
I kinda agree with the general feeling on this one...the plot is thick and slow and sluggish and the ending is a major let down.
The subtle hints that Davenport is looking into new careers and is tired of the politics hints that the series is winding down. Maybe, maybe not, but that's no excuse for sloppy and lazy writing. I love Sandford's other books (except for shadow prey, never could get interested enough in that one to finish it) and it's sad to see him turn out trash.
It does continue the story though, and for that I was thankful. It was nice to be back in Davenport's Minnesota and visit with him and Weather and Del and Andreno. It's like coming home.
This is nowhere near the caliber of Mind Prey (which is by far the best in the series, fighting for top spot with Mortal Prey) but it's a Davenport book nonetheless.
Enjoy...and if nothing else read this just because it continues the story.

The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
by Stephen King
69 used & new from CDN$ 4.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Biggest cliff hanger of his career?, June 12 2004
I read that this book would contain the biggest cliff hanger of King's career. True, it left off with a cliff hanger (I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't read the book yet), but when I put it down after page 411 I just didn't care. There was no urge to go to Maine and steal book 7 from Steve's personal library. I mean, Jake and Callahan and Oy are barely mentioned, the garbage between Susannah and Mia is just a little drawn out (true it is about Susannah, but c'mon...I was bored after the first three "stanzas" of Susannah and Mia)
Still, it is a Dark Tower book, and it does touch on all the characters, even if only briefly. It continues the story, and I'll be out buying book 7 with the rest of the Tower Junkies.
And the way King wove himself into the story is thought-provoking, no doubt, but it's also a little annoying.
A lot will like it, a lot won't. I'm kinda on the fence with this one...guess I'll have to wait on book 7.

King of the Murgos
King of the Murgos
by David Eddings
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the belgariad, Jan. 3 2004
I don't understand why people are so shook up about this book. All I keep reading is, 'same as the first', and 'reading about a prophecy that we know exists and who is going to win' and 'characters don't mature, except physically'...and so on.
Firstly, I think those reviewers are either missing the point because it's so big or are being deliberately obtuse. Of course we know who's going to win. Nobody wants to follow a character for ten books just to find out he dies in the end. If Harry Potter dies in book seven, J.K. Rowling would never sell another book.
The key is it isn't how it all comes out, because every story has to come out somewhere, but about how the author takes us there. Of course we know who's going to win, of course we can even guess how it's gonna happen, but I wanna know what happens IN BETWEEN. The struggles they go through to get to the confrontation, the new ideas and uses of Word and Will and the cleverness of Silk and all the rest.
My suggestion is to stop being so needy and just go along for the ride. David Eddings characterizes like no other author alive, and he writes funny, entertaining fantasy books. Why be so cranky when the book doesn't turn out the way you want it to? No it isn't Tolkien (thank goodness) --- it's not even in the same league as that trash --- and it isn't like any other fantasy series I've ever read.
Quit beeing needy, don't worry about how the thing comes out, and just enjoy the wit and humor and the trip! Man the trip in these books alone justifies the $7.50 I spend at Borders for each of these.
I recommend this series to anyone intelligent enough to appreciate the story as one of it's own, and not compare it to Tolkien's garbage or Rowling's tripe.
Read up!