ARRAY(0xb45afc18)

Profile for Jessie > Reviews

Content by Jessie

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jessie (WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Multnomah Publishers The Prayer Of Jabez: Breaking Through To The Blessed Life
Multnomah Publishers The Prayer Of Jabez: Breaking Through To The Blessed Life
by Bruce H. Wilkinson
282 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, May 1 2001
I thought that this book was very thought-provoking. It focuses on a small prayer made by Jabez, a person I had never heard of before. I do not think it was dangerous or puts the focus on material things; and all Christians do not love to thank and praise God for themselves, like some reviewers have stated! Rather, it is prayer that asks God to bless you (spiritually, such as through ministry),expand your horizons, keep evil from you, and give you a helping hand. I loved how the author used examples from his life and others' lives to show how God's answer to this prayer has changed his outlook on life. Great book!

Jars of Clay: Piano/Vocal/Chords
Jars of Clay: Piano/Vocal/Chords
by Jars of Clay
11 used & new from CDN$ 8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original & Best! (and it's not Corn Flakes), Feb. 7 2001
I love this CD! It's the first Jars of Clay album,and the best(in my opinion). It helped me to grow spiritually. In case you don't know, these are the songs with a short description of each:
1. Liquid: talks (sings, actually) about Christ's sacrifice for us, and how "He didn't die for nothing." I liked all the instruments in the background, too.
2. Sinking: about how we can try to convince ourselves that we don't need God; that we're fine on our own. But then it goes into how God sees through our lies and we should turn to Him for healing.
3. Love Song For a Savior: my favorite! The title is pretty self-explanatory, I think. It's a beautiful song about coming closer to God; and how much He loves us.
4. Like a Child: another favorite! This one's about how if we have faith like a child, we can move mountains!
5. Art in Me: external looks and/or occupations shouldn't be judged, according to this song. It talks about how Christ sees "the art" in all of us, and wants us to do the same to others.
6. He: this song was kind of sad. It talks about a guy who is hurting because of the rotten things he's done, and wants to hide from God. Also, his parents are abusive and non-supportive, and wants to hide from them. But God holds His children, even this guy, in His hands.
7. Boy on a String: about being ourselves and becoming the man/woman that God wants us to be; not just going along with the crowd and being like a puppet, doing what others want you to.
8. Flood: talks of a great "flood" and how we can't swim all forty days without Christ. He lifts us when we fall, and saves us from "drowning" in our confusion; He'll hold us when we need it.
9. Worlds Apart: about how what we think we need and what we believe are "worlds apart."
10. Blind: talks about how our cynical, doubting selves blind us from God and His redemption; saying "blind words you call; blind words will fall."

Christy
Christy
by C Marshall
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
127 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Christy on a Mission, Nov. 29 2000
This review is from: Christy (Mass Market Paperback)
Christy is (another!)one of my all-time favorites. It's about Christy Huddleston, who makes the life-changing decision of teaching in stick-in-the-mud Cutter Gap, Tenessee. The job turns out to be more difficult and unpleasant then expected at first, but Christy grows to find the value of the children she teaches.
Christy goes through many difficult lessons and situations, but she ultimately becomes a more independent, stable young woman with steady beliefs. Miss Alice shows the way and helps Christy to discover her beliefs and challenges her to follow God's will, not her own. Christy has a big decision to make in regards to the men in her life, as well. She gains the admiration of two different men helping out at Cutter Gap.
I loved how Ms. Marshall portrayed all of the characters, big to small, with such simplistic detail. I felt like I could see the characters and understand their actions. Great book.

Julia's Last Hope
Julia's Last Hope
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Julia's Hope, Nov. 29 2000
This review is from: Julia's Last Hope (Paperback)
Yet another good Janette Oke book! This one tells the story of Julia and her husband, along with their twin daughters. The mill in their small town is closing, and John (Julia's husband) works at the mill, along with basically all the men in the town. They have to decide what to do. Should they move? or fight to keep the town alive?
I enjoyed this book, but felt that it was a little bit boring in some aspects (hence the 4 stars). In the end, John and Julia come to a decision and discover how important it is to keep the family together.

The Hobbit: or There and Back Again
The Hobbit: or There and Back Again
by J.R.R. Tolkien
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it Slow!, Oct. 23 2000
The first time I read this book, I thought it was soooo boring, and just forced myself to plow through it (it was a Christmas gift from my brother, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings) I ended up skimming a good portion of it, and feeling that it was a waste of time. A couple of months later, I blew off the dust and made the decision to really READ it. I couldn't believe all the good stuff I had missed. I loved it. Skimming doesn't seem to work for this series, unless you've read them before.
Anyway, The Hobbit was a great book. It was filled with quirky descriptions and personalities, and even the songs and poems are interesting (most of the time :-). Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, unexpectedly finds himself on a mission with Gandalf, the great wizard, and a bunch of arguing dwarves. Their mission: to find the treasure of Thorin's (head dwarf, descended from kings) ancestors and desolate Smaug, the feared dragon of The Mountain. Bilbo's occupation is a thief; not swiping radios from the nearest department store, but helping the company retrieve the treasure.
Though doubtful at first, the dwarves begin to admire Bilbo in his talent to get out of nasty scrapes (of which there are several). Bilbo proves his honor, though being "just" a little hobbit, and nearly everyone leaves happy.

Dragonsdawn
Dragonsdawn
by Anne McCaffrey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite, Oct. 23 2000
I have read some of Anne McCaffrey's other books, and I thought that they were pretty good. Not the case with this one. It seems like I'm the only one that thinks this book was awful, but I just didn't like it.
I thought that the story did help clear up some of the Pern "mysteries" of the ancestors, but I was constantly being averted by the numerous swear words and nasty scenes that I won't mention right now. :-) I understand that some of them may have been affected by living on a "corrupt" Earth, but I really didn't want to hear that. This book has caused my respect for the series to downslide somewhat. I believe that the same effect may be reached without the above mentioned, and yet still not be classified as a little kid's book.

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earths Last Days
Left Behind: A Novel of the Earths Last Days
by Tim LaHaye
168 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, Oct. 12 2000
This series is one of my favorites! This book is a story of the Rapture: when Christ takes his people home, and how those left behind look for answers. The fast-paced style is not very descriptive or "wordy," but it is enough to keep you reading and reading and reading... This book was hard to put down. :-) I kept wanting to know what happens next! Also, it was pretty cool to see how the story fits in with books in the Bible like Revelation. I can't wait for the new one!

Roses for Mama
Roses for Mama
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Janette Oke Book (so far)!, Oct. 10 2000
This review is from: Roses for Mama (Paperback)
This book was so good! It takes place in the old West, as you probably expect. Angela and her brothers and sisters were left orphans when both of their parents died 3 years ago. Now, Angela and her brother Thomas have to take care of the farm, household, and bring up their younger siblings. Angela keeps up her strength (and sanity!) by trusting that God will always be there for them. A very touching, seemingly 'real' story about a young woman's struggles with growing up, death, and love.

Meeting Place, The
Meeting Place, The
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Two Best Friends..., Oct. 10 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This was the first book I read by Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn, and I think it's my favorite of their joint novels. It tells of two women who, despite the prejudice between their people, become best friends. This friendship leads to a decision with heart-wrenching consequences.
This story leaves you hanging, so I'd suggest reading its sequel also, _The Sacred Shore._

Listen Closely
Listen Closely
Offered by inandout_canada
Price: CDN$ 8.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything Genuine, Oct. 10 2000
This review is from: Listen Closely (Audio CD)
This CD was so good! I had never really heard of Smalltown Poets until my brother bought one of those CD mixes with _48 States_ on it. After that, we just had to have the new album! These songs contain great messages that just inspire you to be all-out and genuine for Christ!

Page: 1 | 2