Profile for alice > Reviews

Content by alice

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

alice

Mennonites Don't Dance
Mennonites Don't Dance
by Darcie Friesen Hossack
Price: CDN$ 13.68
15 used & new from CDN$ 3.52

5.0 out of 5 stars a fan letter, Nov. 6 2010
This review is from: Mennonites Don't Dance (Paperback)
I sent Darcie the following fan letter. I was so surprised she responded to me the same day! Goes to show: Mennonites may not dance, but they are prompt!
Darcie:

Congratulations on "Mennonites Don't Dance"! As an avid reader of your (and Dean's!) Courier column, I eagerly awaited your book! Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend your launching at the Kelowna Library, but a few days later I was able to scoop a signed copy for myself and for each of my 4 sisters! They were great little gifts to take down to the Penner family Thanksgiving gathering at the coast.

Your stories were as wonderful to read as I expected. I did not have the "prairie experience my self; I was born after my parents had moved to that B.C. Mennonite mecca - Yarrow. (Daughter of Raspberry Penner, who was son of Postman Penner - you know what I mean.) Some of that old prairie ethic certainly did come along for the ride, though.

I had a good laugh at your reference to Peach Pie in "Ashes". That instinctive frugality hit me as I was making my contribution to the Penner Thanksgiving feast: Plum Platz. All my life I thought it was a "given" that it took exactly 14 plums to make a 9x12 Platz. Here I was, making 4 of those suckers, and STILL had pounds and pounds of those prolific fruits still on the counter. The thought of making MORE Plum Platz was crazy-making! Oh! Wow! What a thought! I could STAND THE PLUMS ON EDGE! I could fit 30 or 40 plums in each pan! Genius! (Big hit at the dinner party too!) We Mennonites (using the term loosely here) still have some built-in traits, that's for sure.

Anyway, thanks for the book. The stories were very thought-provoking. I am delighted to note that even non-Mennonites are "getting" it, and I am looking forward to more from you!