Profile for Moviebuffer101 > Reviews

Content by Moviebuffer101

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Moviebuffer101 (Michigan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars There was more to this story..., June 24 2004
If you watched season 2 of HBO's Project Greenlight you know that the writer of "The Battle Of Shaker Heights" wrote more than just a 79 minute movie. The filmmakers turned the film into something much less than it was on paper. There were so many scenes that were shot, that were deleted from the final cut (which has many movie fans asking "Where is the deleted scenes on the DVD") Yes, (cutting scenes) this is true for any movie and you might say all movies don't have 12 episodes on the making of... that show you what you're missing. So perhaps Project Greenlight hurt the film more than it helped it. Still in all anyone would have been able to see that this movie is missing something. What it isn't missing is a great character and an even better performance from Shia La Beouf. His work is the high light of the movie. THE BATTLE OF SHAKER HEIGHTS received mixed reviews, but everyone can agree Shia La Beouf is a fine actor and his work here will be easy to remember.

Gacy [Import]
Gacy [Import]
DVD ~ Mark Holton
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 73.64
8 used & new from CDN$ 16.87

1.0 out of 5 stars If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.., June 24 2004
This review is from: Gacy [Import] (DVD)
Mark Holton who you may remember as the bike thief Francis in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" plays the title character of the famous serial killer John Wayne Gacy. While he has the look and the flamboyance, he simply doesn't cut the mustard as an actor with the skills to play Gacy. His performance isn't at the top of the list indicating the worse things about this movie. Let's continue with the script issues. I'm wondering if they even had one. The pace of the film is sluggish at best. The director resorts to the whole bugs and maggots thing to creep out the viewer. It fails to do so. The editing is unintentionally sketchy and just unprofessionally done. But why is that a surprise, everything about the movie is unintentional. Who makes a bad movie on purpose? Avoid even on a slow night. I recommend the more recent "Monster" with Charlize Theron instead. It deals with what provokes a serial killer and the performance by Theron is unbeatable.

DVD ~ Daniel Day-Lewis
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 5.75
28 used & new from CDN$ 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw this movie with the devil!!, June 13 2004
This review is from: Crucible, the (DVD)
..and he gave it 5 stars too. He agreed that the acting was superb all the way around. He also said that the period was captured just as he remembered. We both thought that Winona Ryder was robbed of a nomination. For me, I'd have to say that THE CRUCIBLE is one of my top 20 favorite films. We both recommend the DVD to anyone interested in the Salem Witch Trial events or if you're a fan of well crafted cinema.

VHS
9 used & new from CDN$ 18.69

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THE DVD NOW!, June 13 2004
This review is from: Crucible, the (VHS Tape)
Yes, it's finally out. Despite that Amazon says that the studio is not producing it on DVD at this time. Tell me why I bought a copy at Ear-Xacy the other day. And if I can find it in the state of Kentucky, it's sure to be available in more popular states such as California, New York, & Texas. 5 stars all the way...

Dog Eat Dog
Dog Eat Dog
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 36.77
7 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A conspiracy??, June 8 2004
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
Isn't it funny how Warrant releases their best work with this 3rd album and some guy with dirty clothes and matted hair takes over MTV and radio stations nation wide. Somewhere around 1991 the heavy metal glam scene went to the dogs and only truly devoted fans stuck with it, well as much as we could anyway. The bands we listened to for years vanished like they were never the reason we walked into a record store. Bands like Poison, Trixter, Slaughter, Skid Row, and Warrant's air play was replaced by Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots. WHY? ..was it not possible that all these bands co-exist? It is my belief that if MTV had given play to videos for songs like April 2031 and The Bitter Pill.. for instance, this would have been another hit album like "DRFSR" & "CHERRY PIE". I mean think about it. (?) Warrant was awarded best video in 1990-91 for their "Uncle Tom's Cabin" video (on the album "Cherry Pie"), and this was a people's choice awards show. You can't tell me that Warrant didn't have a large number of devoted fans. Why wasn't DOG EAT DOG the hit album it deserved to be? I think the anwser is simple. A CONSPIRACY...

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Widescreen)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Gerry's-dvds
Price: CDN$ 12.88
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.11

5.0 out of 5 stars What's eating Gilbert Grape?, June 1 2004
..Well that's very simple. It's Gilbert's (Johnny Depp) disfunctional family. His brother (Leonardo DiCaprio) is mentally challenged, his mother (Darlene Cates) is morbidly obese, his youngest sister is a brat, there is also a house wife (Mary Steenburgen) who orders groceries from the store Gilbert works at, she has reasons of her own that does not include the need for food. She's quite capable of going to the supermarket herself. Let's just say she has more than a little thing for Gilbert. Gilbert's father passed away years earlier. Now only himself and the older sister seem able to take care of the home and family. I would like to mention that actress Darlene Cates has lost over 200 lbs. since this film was made. What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a wonderful, funny, sad and off beat drama that is sure to have something for everyone. I think it was very silly for one reviewer to say that this film makes fun of obesity and mentally impaired people. Are we not ever to have these types of characters in movies? I'm not sure if this person watched the entire film. It does have a positive message about these issues. This film doesn't make fun it only points out ignorance in people who do. When you see an overweight person do you stare at them? What if they are very overweight? I really liked the scene when Gilbert's mother said "I haven't always been like this." and Becky (Juliette Lewis) said "I haven't always been like this either." As if Becky didn't even notice that Gilbert's mother was of a beyond plus size. I myself work with mentally challenged kids everyday so Arnie just seemed like a kid to me. But in reality I have to say Leonardo DiCaprio was superb. On a less superb note however the DVD has zero extras. Well I guess if you wanna call having a theatrical trailer an extra feature go right ahead. I think a few featurettes and a director commentary is a must now days. Other than the lacks of DVD features this is a must purchase. Add it to your movie library ASAP.

Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking
Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 46.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 41.95

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE'EM OR HATE'EM, WARRANT IS HERE!, May 28 2004
If you're a fan of the original recording of this album, buy this new one for the remasters. The two added tracks ("Only a Man" & "All Night Long") are okay, but not worth the price if you already own the original recording. They are just tracks that didn't make the 10 track cut on to "Dirty rotten..." back in 1988 ~However, as I mentioned this cd is remastered. I didn't think there would be much of a difference, but it really does sound better. Warrant's first 3 albums (Dirty rotten..., Cherry Pie, Dog Eat Dog) is some of the best and most orchestrated glam metal from the late 80's and early 90's. Their other albums are pretty good as well. I just think most highly of the original line-up.. Jani Lane, Jerry Dixon, Joey Allen, Erik Turer & Steven Sweet. CHECK IT OUT!

Dr Zhivago [Import]
Dr Zhivago [Import]
VHS
9 used & new from CDN$ 9.96

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING, May 17 2004
This review is from: Dr Zhivago [Import] (VHS Tape)
I have a confession to make. I didn't finish the movie. It was so uninteresting. If you cannot even make it to the second tape that says something. I can watch long movies, I've never had a problem with that. I watched THE DEER HUNTER, CASINO, JFK, and THE GODFATHER films. So as you can see I can handle long movies. But DOCTOR Z is not my cup of tea.

Best Of
Best Of
Price: CDN$ 7.58
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars R U 4 GETTING THE CD IS ONLY 7.99 ?, April 30 2004
This review is from: Best Of (Audio CD)
I think some people would complain if they ate a terd and it tasted bad. I've never seen this CD priced higher than 10 bucks, I got it for less than that. So what do you expect. Sure I'd be willing to pay 20 something dollars for a double disc CD of SUBLIME's greatest, but until that comes out I'll listen to WHAT I GOT, REMEMBER THAT! I mean gosh didn't you turn the CD over and read the track list before you bought it? Just go get in bed and try getting up on the other side. How frugal are you anyway?

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Videos
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Videos
DVD ~ DVD
Price: CDN$ 18.98
40 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE ~audio is bad~ DVD RECALL IS NEEDED, April 22 2004
Dear GunsN'Roses fans, I exchanged this DVD and the 2nd copy had the same problem as the first. The audio has these high and low points. The volume on a few of the videos went from the volume I had my television set on, then it went down to a lower volume on it's own, then back up. It's a shame because I would really like to have these videos on DVD, however I will be returning this 2nd copy and demanding a full refund. If you bought a copy of this DVD and the audio isn't messed up, hang onto it because you're lucky. I did notice after the fact that there are some other reviews from people that had the same problem with their copy. So buy at your own risk.(...): Exchanged once again because refund was refused. Same problem with 3rd copy. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU HAVE A SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM!! Save yourself the trouble, time and money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18