Profile for Keith Witherspoon > Reviews

Content by Keith Witherspoon

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Keith Witherspoon (Huntsville, Alabama United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Nocturnal
Nocturnal
Price: CDN$ 17.31
23 used & new from CDN$ 10.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues Marching Right In Step, April 28 2004
This review is from: Nocturnal (Audio CD)
Man, I remember it like it was yesterday. Commercial rap got the gunn clap and the BCC rained supreme. After the click dropped two back to back "very underrated classics" in Enta Da Stage and Da Shinin, they hit us with Nocturnal. Rock and Ruck had two different styles that complimented each other well. And with Da Beatminerz on production, you new it was going to be dope. There is no filler on the album (amazing how rare it is now), so cop it.

Comin' Out Hard
Comin' Out Hard
Price: CDN$ 19.92
15 used & new from CDN$ 13.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Pimps, April 28 2004
This review is from: Comin' Out Hard (Audio CD)
Long before 50 Cent thought about making a song called P.I.M.P. and before the commericalism of bragging about how much ice you have, these two Memphis, Tenn. heavyweights stood. Eightball & MJG did it like no one else was doing it at the time. These cats dropped a 10 song classic. Check it out.

Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars
Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars
Price: CDN$ 16.02
21 used & new from CDN$ 8.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Standing Firmly At A 90 Degree Angle, April 23 2004
I admit that I really never gave Sunz Of Man a fair shake, but they never put out a song that grabbed me. Well, Wu-Renegades did it for this group. After hearing that joint, I went out and copped this CD. I was pleasantly surprised at not only their lyrical skills, but how well the album was put together (4th disciple did his thing). This is a Wu-gem that was slept on by almost everybody. If you are one of those hip-hop fans whose tired of commercial rap, cop this album with a few other older joints.

Pretty Toney Album
Pretty Toney Album
Price: CDN$ 16.53
15 used & new from CDN$ 10.40

5.0 out of 5 stars He Does It Again, April 23 2004
This review is from: Pretty Toney Album (Audio CD)
With RZA and Bobby Digital having conflicts of interest, ODB a part of the R.O.C., Inspectah Deck losing his Wu-roots, and Method Man's movie career, it is good to see that I can still depend on Ghost to deliver me a Wu-Banger time after time. I admit I had my doubts when I heard he signed with DefJam (check Keith Murray), but I'm glad he proved me wrong. Though DefJam likes to have creative control over a lot of their artist, it seems they decided to let Ghostface have his way. I was really feeling the whole vibe of the album. Once again, Ghostface delivers. That's enough reading, so go cop this.

Infamy Infamous...
Infamy Infamous...
Price: CDN$ 22.95
10 used & new from CDN$ 6.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected A Lot More, April 12 2004
This review is from: Infamy Infamous... (Audio CD)
When I first heard "Burn", I was really foward to copping this album. Then, "Hey Luv" with 112 hit the airwaves. Man, I couldn't believe the grimiest group in the industry would make a love song with 112. I now had my doubts about the musical direction of the album. After listening to some of my old Mobb Deep, I decided to erase the 112 song out of my memory and get the album. The album starts off with so much promise with the two cuts "Pray For Me" and "Get Away". Then, the album starts to flux. One minute it's here, the next minute it's there. It still has the regular hard-hitting Mobb joints (especially "Nothing Like Home"), but the album is inconsistent. Another complaint of mine is Prodigy. How do you go from being the hungry, grimy MC to the "I just woke up 2 minutes ago" guy. I think he needs to holla at Nas on how to get your hunger back. It is pretty obvious that they were trying to appeal to a different type of audience, while also trying to keep their core fan base happy (like Nas did). When will artists learn?

Hell on Earth
Hell on Earth
Price: CDN$ 16.16
26 used & new from CDN$ 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars M.O.B.B. Keeps It Thorough, April 12 2004
This review is from: Hell on Earth (Audio CD)
Before the commercialism and inconsistancy of Infamy, Mobb Deep had a couple of classics. "Hell On Earth"(the second classic behind "The Infamous") continued to move in the same direction as their first album. To sum it up, it's typical Murda Musik. I admit that I'm not a big fan of the shoot'em up, kill everybody type of music, but it's something about Mobb Deep. Prodigy's(before he became lazy) lyrics and Havoc's beat just always seem to make a marraige. Do yourself a favor and cop this album.

Liquid Swords
Liquid Swords
Price: CDN$ 13.76
39 used & new from CDN$ 6.82

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Best Wu-Tang Solo, April 7 2004
This review is from: Liquid Swords (Audio CD)
This could arguably be the best Wu-Tang solo album. Once again, the RZA lays down his amazing beats for his fellow Clan-mate to glide over. The GZA, who is probably the Clan's most gifted MC, drops jewels throughout this album (peep "Labels"). This is my second favorite Wu-Tang album behind "Only built 4 Cuban Linx". Also, his second Wu album was O.K., but the "Legend of The Liquid Sword" is hot too. As far as this CD goes, certified classic.

Soul Survivor
Soul Survivor
Price: CDN$ 42.14
3 used & new from CDN$ 42.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul Brother #1, April 7 2004
This review is from: Soul Survivor (Audio CD)
Is it me, or does it seem that Pete Rock never gets his props. He has produced many classic joints for various artist and two critically acclaimmed classics with C.L. Smooth. With this one, P.R. decides to rock it solo (well, not really). Pete is not exactly the greatest rapper, but his flow holds well with his amazing beats (Kanye West too). With a slew of guest appearances, this CD hits a homerun. Of course, some tracks are better than others, but there are no wack tracks on the album. It's a must have for hip-hop purists. Also, Soul Survivor 2 is on the way.

Big Picture
Big Picture
Price: CDN$ 18.55
9 used & new from CDN$ 5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Should've Been One Of The Greatest, April 5 2004
This review is from: Big Picture (Audio CD)
It's a shame that it takes a rapper to get shot or killed before we can learn to appreciate their music. Big L (R.I.P.) had the potential to be one of the greatest MCs, but unfortunately he was cut down in his prime. Admittedly, I am one of those fans that only learned of Big L after his passing. I remember first hearing his name scratched at the beginning of the "Full Clip" joint by Gangstarr. Right after that, his video for "Holdin' It Down" hit BET. At that point, I knew I had to cop this album. Man, this guy was amazing. Lyrically, "Ebonics" is clearly the hottest joint, but majority of this album is a highlight in itself. Not only did this guy have a nice flow, but he had charisma, whit, and amazing storytelling ability. The only thing I wish could've been different is if they would've let Showbiz, Lord Finesse, and Buckwild get a few tracks. For those that don't know much about Big L, cop this album, "Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous" by Big L, "D.I.T.C.", and "Jewelz" by O.C. Oh yeah, the 96' freestyle with Jay-Z is hot.

Black Star
Black Star
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 22.68
34 used & new from CDN$ 6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars You Know The Protocol, April 5 2004
This review is from: Black Star (Audio CD)
If I remember correctly, the year was 1999 (I think the CD dropped in 98' though). I remembered seeing a video on Campus TV for a song called "Respiration". The only person I recognized in the video was Common, so I assumed it was on his CD. Sadly (at the time), this wasn't the case. I went to a few record stores to find out what album the joint was on, but they had no idea what I was talking about(probably because I live in Huntsville, AL). Fast foward a few months. I was riding in the car with my cousin in the ATL and he popped in a tape (he didn't buy CDs at the time) called "Blackstar". The first song he played was "Brown Skinned Lady". Needless to say I fell in love with the tape at that point in time. But to my surprise, the next song he played was "Respiration". After all the searching I did around town to find the name of the group who made the song, I could've called up my cousin and found out months ago. To make a long story short, I ended up becoming a big Mos Def fan and a bigger Talib Kweli fan. These two cats epitomize the way hip-hop should be manufactured. Check for this CD, the Soundbombing series, the Lyricist Lounge series, and their solo projects. Also, the remix to "Respiration" is tight.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6