Profile for Heather > Reviews

Content by Heather

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Heather (canada)

Hellgoing
Hellgoing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, Nov. 22 2013
This review is from: Hellgoing (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have read, in which the short stories don’t have any endings. You’re reading along, following the plot (although there are ambiguous monuments along the way) and suddenly it ends! There isn't a conclusion you must yourself fill in the endings. Therefore I would think I missed something, re-trace my steps and then realise....nope there is nothing more written....

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel
Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel
Offered by Hachette Book Group Digital, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Where’d You Go, Bernadette, is the perfect summer read!, June 8 2013
The story is refreshing and pretty innocent. We learn about the everyday quirky life, of Bernadette (a mother, wife and famous architect).

Bernadette became a bit of a recluse suffering from agoraphobia after the birth of her daughter Bee. It is feared that Bernadette is having a meltdown and the rest of the family is suffering as a result.

I enjoyed the fact that much of the book is written through email correspondence, many surprises occur throughout. Witty lines (especially spoken by Bernadette), make you chuckle out loud, smile and it is just adorable! Finally with this book, I am back on track; I finished a book and ESCAPED the lengthy book slump that I was in! :)

Golden Boy: A Novel
Golden Boy: A Novel
by Abigail Tarttelin
Price: CDN$ 15.67
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.48

4.0 out of 5 stars I was fascinated from beginning to end!, June 3 2013
This review is from: Golden Boy: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book was a great read, but had some difficult subject matter at times. I fell in love with Max and like his family, felt torn with all the decisions involved in being born intersex. Max grew up through the book to become a very mature and strong adult. I thought Abigail Tarttelin, did an amazing job exploring this issue, through the eyes of each family member. I enjoyed each of the characters in this book.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed The Storyteller and was pleasantly surprised!, June 3 2013
This review is from: The Storyteller (Kindle Edition)
In the past I haven’t been able to jump on the Jodi Picoult wagon. After attempting My Sister’s Keeper, I was disappointed that I couldn't finish it. Largely I think it was the subject matter that turned me off. After I saw the product description of this book, I decided to give it another go!

In this book another tough subject is dealt with – The holocaust along with the lesson of forgiveness. Having read many harsh holocaust memoirs; a little bit of fictional plot, made for a refreshing thrill.

This book is told through the voice of Sage and interchanged with that of her Grandmother’s. We also learn about life as an S.S. Nazi guard. Many other books do not tell of the choices and guilt, in which people on the other side have experienced. All at once Jodi Picoult intertwines the experiences of survivors, the victims and those involved in the Nazi reign. By the end of the book the history of each character is laid out before us.

Though some parts leave you feeling disgusted, sad and even sickened this is quite a thrilling page-turner. I have already recommended this book to others.

Mare's Nest
Mare's Nest
Price: CDN$ 8.22

4.0 out of 5 stars For The Love of Horses, March 1 2013
This review is from: Mare's Nest (Kindle Edition)
Mare's Nest is my first introduction to Lesley Kagen's books. I have been wanting to read one of her books for a while and I wasn't disappointed! I participated in horse back riding lessons as a teenager and have relatives (in which I will be passing this along to) involved in the "horse world." This unique story hit home for me.

Annie Bellamy is the mother to daughter Teddy and son Louie. She is also the wife of Pete. She is a protective mother who fears for the safety of her children. Outstandingly, Annie is conscientious and avoids passing on her feelings of fear/anxiety to her children. Struggling to resolve her past feelings of loss, Annie begins to see that her childhood passion for horses may have been the cause of her parent’s bankruptcy.
Annie never imagined that her daughter Teddy, would also fall in love with horses. Teddy’s growing passion and talent in riding is evident; therefore Annie is unable refuse her. Many in the 'horse world' community seem to be out for money, rather than the joy of riding. I was inspired by Annie’s commitment to foster confidence in her daughter. Despite all the setbacks, Annie remained positive and ensured Teddy’s dreams would be reached.