ARRAY(0xba35b294)

Profile for Michael Anderson > Reviews

Content by Michael Anderson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Michael Anderson (Farmington, UT)

Spanish
Spanish
by Pimsleur
Edition: Audio CD
9 used & new from CDN$ 53.67

5.0 out of 5 stars First exposure to Spanish tapes, Nov. 25 2003
This review is from: Spanish (Audio CD)
I have familiarity with several languages. I decided about 6 months ago to start learning Spanish. I got Spanish for dummies to read (an okay text, but not great). My wife picked up this audio set (tapes) for me. I concur with most all that the other reviewers have said, but I found these tapes to be extremely useful. I only listened to them on my way to work and back. The method is very good at building on previous information and reviewing it naturally- not by rote. They don't recommend using books with it, but I found the combination to be much more helpful. While I was learning conjugations in the books, I was seeing them in action on the tapes. I enrolled in a Spanish II class in a few months not knowing if I could handle it, but it worked out great. I think the audio helped immensely with speaking ability. Many members of the class had more vocabulary, but didn't have the skills you can learn from the conversation tapes. When I want to review, I can just stick in the last couple of lessons and review a large portion of the entire set. It is true that this won't get you to the advanced stages, but it is a very quick method to get some good learning in and prepare you for further study. I highly recommend it.

Spanish For Dummies
Spanish For Dummies
by Susana Wald
79 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

3.0 out of 5 stars My first Spanish book, Nov. 25 2003
This review is from: Spanish For Dummies (Paperback)
I have familiarity with several languages but just started studying Spanish about 6 months ago. This was the first book I bought. I agree that this is not sufficient by itself. It has a lot of good side bar information as well as dialogues and highlights of important words. However, I found that it also has a lot of items that are inappropriate for the level that is being taught. A simple example is the first verb taught is "trabajar"- to work. A much simpler one could be used when you are learning pronunciation/conjugation. Also dialogues used past and future tenses which are not even taught in this book (they are listed with the verb conjugations). Now that I have more knowledge, I am going back and reading it again and am getting a lot more out of it. I would pick a simpler book for my first one were I to do it again-- but not a phrase book. Another aspect of this book is that it has a lot of sections like "at the marketplace". Those are words less well known and not really that helpful or essential at this stage of my progression. There are a lot more valuable words to be learned first. I have also studied tapes like Pimsleur at the same time and it was excellent on continuous building one block at a time. I also found that often when I tried to look up a word in the included dictionary, it wasn't there, so a separate one is really required.