Profile for R > Reviews

Content by R

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R

Page: 1 | 2
Cold Comfort Farm
Cold Comfort Farm
by Stella Gibbons
Price: CDN$ 8.08
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, July 6 2014
This review is from: Cold Comfort Farm (Paperback)
One of the greats... it's funny and engrossing and satisfying.

Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Perigrinations of an Epicure
Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Perigrinations of an Epicure
by Joseph Wechsberg WECHSBERG
Price: CDN$ 15.70
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this over and over, July 6 2014
Wechsberg was the food writer for the New Yorker for many years. This book is a compilation of essays he wrote about food for the NYer and other publications. If you want to learn about great food, this is the book to read.

An example: he writes about growing up in Vienna around 1900, and everyone was mad for boiled beef. The reason? The cattle were raised in a beet sugar processing plant, and fed nothing but beet mash, resulting in extremely flavorful meat that was best treated by boiling.

Emson 8303 Electric 5Qt Smoker
Emson 8303 Electric 5Qt Smoker
Offered by ItemsSeenOnTV
Price: CDN$ 139.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product makes fantastic food, July 6 2014
This is a fantastic product at an excellent price (currently $139 Canadian for the 5 Qt). For my first test I cooked a batch of two turkey thighs (about a pound each), followed by a batch containing a 2.2 pound pork roast and a potato.

I cooked the turkey thighs for 25 minutes, which was perfect: they are extremely moist but still chewy and dense. I had been planning to pop them under the broiler but I didn't need to.

I cooked the pork and potato for 40 minutes. Smoked potatoes are my new favorite food. The pork also turned out perfectly, although the cut I used was too lean to be spectacular. (It's the meat's fault.)

The machine is easy to use and easy to clean. It comes with complete instructions and recipes.

I think mesquite wood chips may be too heavy-handed for this method: it's too strong a flavor. It's still wonderful, but I'm going to try other, subtler woods like apple next.

I put the Emson smoker on my stovetop under the exhaust fan. It produces a slight smell, but it is less than you'd get from cooking the meat in the oven by conventional methods.

I love smoked foods and I live in an apartment with no balcony, so this is a godsend for me. I can't wait to smoke cheese.

Django Unchained / Django Déchaîné (Bilingual)
Django Unchained / Django Déchaîné (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Jamie Foxx
Price: CDN$ 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars liked it, July 6 2014
Delightful blood drops flying through the air like red balloons at a birthday party - spectacle, entertainment, and through it all a really interesting and sensitive depiction of the US south during slavery

Gabriel's Inferno
Gabriel's Inferno
by Sylvain Reynard
Price: CDN$ 12.27
54 used & new from CDN$ 1.38

1.0 out of 5 stars What a horrible book, March 2 2014
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
I bought all three books after reading a favorable review. What a mistake. I wasn't able to finish any of them. I winced through the frequent repetitions of descriptions of the bulge in his grey slacks and so on. Ack. These are the most dreadful books I've attempted to read in a long time.

Gabriel's Rapture
Gabriel's Rapture
by Sylvain Reynard
Price: CDN$ 12.27
37 used & new from CDN$ 2.66

1.0 out of 5 stars What was I thinking, March 2 2014
This review is from: Gabriel's Rapture (Paperback)

Dean Spanley [Import anglais]
Dean Spanley [Import anglais]
Offered by usedsalesca
Price: CDN$ 3.40
6 used & new from CDN$ 3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Neill has a star turn, March 2 2014
I enjoyed the whole movie and all the great actors in it, but Sam Neill's long monologue near the end is one of the most mesmerizing things I've ever experienced. For my second watching I will be sure to have a bottle of Tokay at hand. Maybe two.

Bossypants
Bossypants
by Tina Fey
Price: CDN$ 18.80
157 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Self indulgent, hastily written, not funny, not insightful, June 24 2011
This review is from: Bossypants (Hardcover)
I read Tina Fey's piece in a recent New Yorker and was so impressed that I bought this book. But the book is nothing like the article. The article was honest, brave, relevant, insightful, funny... this book is embarrassing. The attempts at humor rarely go beyond self-deprecation. A lot of the anecdotes about her life are incredibly boring. There's an over-emphasis on her Sarah Palin impersonation that makes you think that she wrote the book to capitalize on her 15 minutes of fame... well I guess she did. Had she spent some more time working on the book, she might have come up with something half-way good (as evidenced by the New Yorker article), but instead she published what is mostly just drivel.

Age Of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
Age Of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
by Eric Shanower
Price: CDN$ 15.12
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and good, Feb. 19 2011
I am fascinated by stories of the Trojan war and reread the Iliad frequently. These are very good, well researched graphic novels about the Trojan war. Still, I'm a bit disappointed. The reviews I read were so glowing that I expected more. The drawings are in black and white, and would be a lot more effective in color. The bindings are not great so you can't open the books up all the way. The drawings are very good but don't use as much interesting perspective as other graphic novels have. The story is good but doesn't build in suspense and excitement the way other graphic novels do.

Maybe the problem is that the author is trying too hard to be accurate to his sources, and isn't filling in the characters enough.

So I'd say: good, well-researched, worth a read, but not brilliant.

Nurse Jackie: The Complete First Season
Nurse Jackie: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Edie Falco
Price: CDN$ 11.98
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but way too short to be a TV season, Aug. 23 2010
Beware... this product is five and a half hours in total. That's way too short to be called an entire TV season. It makes this purchase a very expensive item, at least at the price I paid ($30).

As for the quality of the show, it's pretty good. If it were on regular TV I would watch it regularly. But it has been over-hyped, and IMO is not really worth buying.

Page: 1 | 2