Profile for R > Reviews

Content by R

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Coming Ashore: A Memoir
Coming Ashore: A Memoir
by Catherine Gildiner
Price: CDN$ 17.52
29 used & new from CDN$ 11.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Gildiner knocks another one out of the park, Nov. 28 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Coming Ashore: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Over her three funny, extraordinary memoirs, I feel like I grew up alongside Catherine Gildiner. I love the books and will read them again. This one is at least as good as the others.

Now that Gildiner is done with memoir writing, I hope to see more novels from her. Her debut novel, Seduction, was fantastic.

This Land I Love Waterloo County
This Land I Love Waterloo County
by Carl Hiebert
10 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for everyone, Nov. 28 2014
This is such a stunningly beautiful book. I can't believe it's out of print. There is interesting text as well as fantastic photographs. The author is an Old Order Mennonite (now lapsed - I have forgotten the exact details) who flies a microlite plane and takes many aerial photos. He shares the Old Order way of life with respect and love.

Charcoal Companion CC6014 Beef and Lamb Smoking Wood Chip Blend
Charcoal Companion CC6014 Beef and Lamb Smoking Wood Chip Blend
Price: CDN$ 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic smoking wood, Oct. 19 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Wow, I never thought I'd be so excited about wood chips. These are incredible. I have used them twice for pork and they create a layered, perfectly smoky taste. I have a Clemson indoor pressure-cooker smoker (which I love) and it really accentuates both the good and bad flavor in the smoking wood. For example, I had some mesquite chips that made food taste like tar. These chips have mesquite mixed in but there is none of that off taste.

Primitive Technology II: Ancestral Skill - From the Society of Primitive Technology
by David Wescott
Price: CDN$ 21.94
28 used & new from CDN$ 17.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, Oct. 17 2014
As good as the original! Great text, diagrams, procedures... even links to more information.

Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills
Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills
by David Wescott
Price: CDN$ 20.05
19 used & new from CDN$ 20.05

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, Oct. 17 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Fascinating descriptions of early technologies, with diagrams, photos, and detailed steps to recreate. A good read.

The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Our World from Scratch
The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Our World from Scratch
by Lewis Dartnell
Price: CDN$ 20.65
31 used & new from CDN$ 17.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impresses, Oct. 17 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I expected a book about early technologies. It's more of a Waco-style planning book.

Cold Comfort Farm
Cold Comfort Farm
by Stella Gibbons
Price: CDN$ 8.08
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, July 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Cold Comfort Farm (Paperback)
One of the greats... it's funny and engrossing and satisfying.

Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure
Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure
by Joseph Wechsberg
Price: CDN$ 13.65
24 used & new from CDN$ 3.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this over and over, July 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Wechsberg was the food writer for the New Yorker for many years. This book is a compilation of essays he wrote about food for the NYer and other publications. If you want to learn about great food, this is the book to read.

An example: he writes about growing up in Vienna around 1900, and everyone was mad for boiled beef. The reason? The cattle were raised in a beet sugar processing plant, and fed nothing but beet mash, resulting in extremely flavorful meat that was best treated by boiling.

Emson 8303 Electric 5Qt Smoker
Emson 8303 Electric 5Qt Smoker
Offered by Incrediblelistings
Price: CDN$ 139.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 139.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product makes fantastic food, July 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is a fantastic product at an excellent price (currently $139 Canadian for the 5 Qt). For my first test I cooked a batch of two turkey thighs (about a pound each), followed by a batch containing a 2.2 pound pork roast and a potato.

I cooked the turkey thighs for 25 minutes, which was perfect: they are extremely moist but still chewy and dense. I had been planning to pop them under the broiler but I didn't need to.

I cooked the pork and potato for 40 minutes. Smoked potatoes are my new favorite food. The pork also turned out perfectly, although the cut I used was too lean to be spectacular. (It's the meat's fault.)

The machine is easy to use and easy to clean. It comes with complete instructions and recipes.

I think mesquite wood chips may be too heavy-handed for this method: it's too strong a flavor. It's still wonderful, but I'm going to try other, subtler woods like apple next.

I put the Emson smoker on my stovetop under the exhaust fan. It produces a slight smell, but it is less than you'd get from cooking the meat in the oven by conventional methods.

I love smoked foods and I live in an apartment with no balcony, so this is a godsend for me. I can't wait to smoke cheese.

Django Unchained / Django Déchaîné (Bilingual)
Django Unchained / Django Déchaîné (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Jamie Foxx
Price: CDN$ 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars liked it, July 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Delightful blood drops flying through the air like red balloons at a birthday party - spectacle, entertainment, and through it all a really interesting and sensitive depiction of the US south during slavery

Page: 1 | 2 | 3