ARRAY(0xab2b957c)

Profile for Anne M. Searles > Reviews

Content by Anne M. Searles

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Anne M. Searles "asearles" (San Ramon, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley
Price: CDN$ 12.96
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!, May 23 2002
I could type that word forever. I am a mom who loves and respects her child. I have realized from the beginning that my son cries for a reason. I have done my best to address his needs immediately.
However, when it comes to sleep I have been at my wits end from day one. My son could never get past 20 minutes with his naps. He has always started screaming at this point. Other books address that this is "normal", as some babies have a hard time transitioning from light sleep to deep sleep. They will eventually learn to transition...WHEN???? At 17 months, I was still holding my son so he would sleep through a nap. I needed some time to myself. I was trapped.
I read Elizabeth's book and was so relieved to read that there are ways to help your child transition to deep sleep. I didn't have to hold him all day. We are one week into the program and my son is taking two 1 - 2 hour naps a day!!! I still have to pat him during certain intervals, but he stays asleep. He doesn't wake up crying anymore. He actually makes a happy noise when he's ready to get out of bed!!!
Next phase it to get him to fall asleep on his own!
Get this book tired mamma and daddy. You'll be glad you did.

The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
by William Sears
Price: CDN$ 11.55
37 used & new from CDN$ 6.59

4.0 out of 5 stars I agree with P. Henderson of New York, Feb. 19 2002
Yes, it is many of his books in one. However, this did go into each topic in more detail. The stories of AP situations was encouraging. I did miss the wonderful illustrations of the other books though.

Holistic Pediatrician
Holistic Pediatrician
by Kath Kemper
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as indepth as I wanted it., Feb. 18 2002
This review is from: Holistic Pediatrician (Paperback)
This was an ok book. I was really looking for some more alternative therapies for childhood diseases like measles, etc. I sold mine "Like New".

The Complete Homeopathy Handbook: Safe and Effective Ways to Treat Fevers, Coughs, Colds and Sore Throats, Childhood Ailments, Food Poisoning, Flu, and a Wide Range of Everyday Complaints
by Miranda Castro
38 used & new from CDN$ 6.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, Feb. 18 2002
I am new to homeopathy and I have found this book to be so simple and easy to understand. It has helped me to understand why the Hyland's Teething Tablets aren't working for my son.
He needs a more defined and "classical" approach.

Sign with Your Baby Complete Learning Kit: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak [With Video]
by Joseph Garcia
Price: CDN$ 55.25
14 used & new from CDN$ 55.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediately took frustration out of 1 yr old., Feb. 18 2002
My son was getting increasingly frustrated with us at 12 months. He would grit his teeth, tense up his arms, and scream at us when we didn't understand what he wanted or what we did to frustrate him.
We started using the signs in this book and his frustration went away. He really only signs "more" back to us, but somehow he realizes we are communicating on a deeper level.
This has been a lifesaver for us.

The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
by Martha Sears
Price: CDN$ 12.27
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, Jan. 10 2002
Very simple and clear information as all of the Sears' books are. I used this book all the time during the first few weeks of breastfeeding. My only suggestion to the authors should they ever revise the book is to include information on questionable poopies. I turned out that my son's strange poop was from an overactive letdown (MER). If I had known that and how to remedy the problem from this book it would have saved me some anxiety and money meeting with an BCLC.

Baby Signs
Baby Signs
by Linda Acredolo
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you take your child to the zoo all the time., Jan. 10 2002
This review is from: Baby Signs (Paperback)
I found this book rather blah. It really didn't get into the heart of communicating with your baby with signs. I dealt more with using general signs for cat, dog, phone, etc. I returned it and bought "Sign With Your Baby". MUCH more indepth.

The Red Tent: A Novel
The Red Tent: A Novel
by Anita Diamant
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok book. VERY loosely based on biblical characters, Aug. 8 2001
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Hardcover)
The Red Tent was an Ok book. I had to pull/drag myself through it on occasions. I loved the bond between the women. PLEASE do not buy this book and expect it to follow the Bible. It appears that Ms. Diamant took a couple of names, their genealogy and some Jewish and "pagan" traditions and threw them together. I would not recommend it and will give it away to the first friend who is interested in reading it.

Too Long a Stranger
Too Long a Stranger
by Janette Oke
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Did she run out of paper?, Aug. 7 2001
This review is from: Too Long a Stranger (Paperback)
This is one of the best Janette Oke books I have read. However, as usual, everything was wrapped up nice and tidy in the last chapter. I often wonder if Ms. Oke is running out of paper as she writes the last chapters of her books. Or maybe her editor allots her only so many pages (303 in this case) and she has to rush the ending. I would like to see her write a book on what happens to the characters after conversion and reconciliation. Or maybe give the woman some more pages!

The Pregnancy Book: A Month-by-Month Guide
The Pregnancy Book: A Month-by-Month Guide
by William Sears
Price: CDN$ 13.72
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A positive approach to pregnancy!, Oct. 15 2000
Throw away or return "What to Expect When You're Expecting!" "What to Expect When You're Expecting", provides information on what to expect during your appointment and then goes on to tell you all the NEGATIVE things that can happen during your pregnancy. It really doesn't provide much information on what is happening (or what to expect for that matter) with your body during each month and what is happening with baby. Leg cramps in the 7th month and what to do about them? Buy The Pregnancy book and you'll find the answer!
The Pregnancy Book provides comprehensive information on questions to ask a potential OB/GYN, GP, and/or Midwife. The detailed descriptions of what is happening with your body during each month and potential "side affects" are invaluable, as well as the information on baby's development. The detailed birthing options are comprehensive and I believe, unbiased. The ninth month covers quite a bit of information on labor and delivery, but I do recommend The Birth Book as a detailed companion to The Pregnancy Book.

Page: 1 | 2