Profile for C. Preston > Reviews

Content by C. Preston

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. Preston "Tunes Junkie" (Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Ateco 11-Piece Plain Round Cutter Set
Ateco 11-Piece Plain Round Cutter Set
Price: CDN$ 20.10
13 used & new from CDN$ 16.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, June 9 2014
Like how it actually has a case for these cutters, make it so easy to find in the kitchen when baking.

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories
Offered by GaryyCa
Price: CDN$ 10.28
42 used & new from CDN$ 7.85

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brit Boys do it again!, June 9 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Wow what a gorgeously chilled CD, I can't stop listening to it. That is true whenever I hear Chris Martin's voice....it's like listening to a lullaby. I'm so glad they stepped out and did something uniquely different this time. All the instrumentation on this CD is really great, especially use of the percussion instruments. I haven't taken the CD out of the car since I got it as it's so good. If you want to wind down after a day hitting the cement pavement, had a bad day or something this is the CD to put on! It will mellow you out in no time and will make you realize that simply put "Coldplay" is the best band that has hit the scene in recent years. I liken them to a different, modern version of what Pink Floyd or the Beatles were in their day. I know a lot of people will say....you said what? But they truly are in a league of their own in my estimation. Unlike so many other singers today....I only need to hear maybe 2 notes of a song before I can not only identify that it is Chris Martin singing, but that it is also Coldplay as a band, so to me that's why they are on the top of my list!

Ulysees
Ulysees
Price: CDN$ 14.98
19 used & new from CDN$ 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars He is simply the best!, June 9 2014
This review is from: Ulysees (Audio CD)
Justin Nozuka is one of the best writer's, singers and musicians around today. He stays true to what drives him emotionally, his experiences which is why he is so raw! So many of his songs are so profoundly constructed, not just lyrically but technically, production and his musicality is like someone who one would think has been in the business for decades, yet he is so young! This is one talent that will be around I think easily for decades to come.

This CD is one of the best I have listened to in 2014, calming, surreal, poignant....my only wish was....that it never ended!

Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Price: CDN$ 8.15
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars She does it again!, June 23 2012
Sarah McLachlan is so talented one can't create any new euphonisms to describe her anymore. This CD is Sarah as always at her best.While this CD is great beyond words she has so many great CD's I now no longer categorize them as "the best" because quite frankly ALL her CD's ARE THE BEST!

While all the songs on this CD are amazing my favorite songs are:

Elsewhere: One of the best songs I think ever written lyrically. Her voice & also her background vocalist sound so luscious on it. I still have this song on my favorite playlist since this CD first came out; it's that good!

Ice: This is my favorite song of Sarah's, even still. The acoustical guitar work is exceptional and her songwriting on this track is beyond words...she makes it seem so effortless...all crafted together so magnificently. Loved the bongo drums, percussion, horns in their subtlety...weaving in & out at just the right sweet spots. I still have this on my favorite Mp3 playlist; it will never be removed!

Wait:Beautiful song....she does this song so good live! I've seen her so much they should just put her on the Toronto Stock Exchange! Ha! Ha! No doubt there is something in the water here in Canada that produces such great talent like hers!

Ice Cream: Such a cute song....shows her softer, fun side!

All the tracks are great even though I just critiqued a few....they are all exceptional!

From the Choirgirl Hotel
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Price: CDN$ 7.85
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly Amazing!, June 23 2012
This CD is just so creative as every Tori CD is. Again her structural composition for each song is so unique exemplifying her gifts as a prodigy in the music industry. She always takes you on a journey with each CD...like an old jigsaw puzzle that you are attempting to put together she magically weaves you into her world. Enjoy this one as it's a keeper!

Spark:Who sings about Nicotine Patches? Yes that's Tori, again using metaphors to explain her current emotional turmoil! Wow; just a remarkable telling of the pain of having a miscarriage.....gruelling!
Cruel:Love all the percussion, drums & exaggerated instruments in this track; and her voice sounds so cool on this track!
Black Dove: I love this song so much; the Wurlitzer sounds so great and those wispy vocals are dynamic. Her songwriting is just impeccable!
Raspberry Swirl:This song will definetly get your heart pumping....raw, insightful and the vocal delivery on this track is awesome!
Jackie's Strength: This is a beautiful ballad song about Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy and her strength and how that strength translated to her.
Iieee: I loved the rhymical use of the drums in this song...great tempo and her voice sounds so great!
Liquid Diamonds: This track is so uniquely done...loads of rhythm & her piano work in this piece is remarkable. All the additional instruments give this song a seductive nature.
She's Your Cocaine: Great song...has a rockier edge to it...cool song about the addictions of love!
Northern Lad: Still one of my favorite Tori songs; still have it on my favorite playlists. So beautifully written and luckily I got to see her live doing this song! It was momentus!
Playboy Mommy:What lyrics...!!! Love her keeping it real!
Pandora's Aquarium: How good does the piano sound on this song....weaving her storytelling in dramatic Tori fashion!
Hotel:Cool percussion used in this song....unusual composition structurally which makes it work!

Those were my picks off this CD. Check it out if you get the chance!

Free
Free
Price: CDN$ 12.54
16 used & new from CDN$ 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Free is good!, June 23 2012
This review is from: Free (Audio CD)
Jann Arden is such a great singer. I have seen her live and if you ever get a chance to see her live she is hilarious & as good live as she is in her recordings; if not even better. She sings songs of the heart, about love lost and can transmit any songs that deal with emotions and the human condition like no other. She gets to the raw emotions we all feel at one time or another or know someone who has. Free is another great CD from Jann; always good singing & great writing.

My favorite tracks on this CD are:

Free: A great song about how we feel once that person we've been involved with is now gone, like feeling a breath of fresh air for the first time! Beautiful harmonies & vocals on this one!
Daughter Down:The lyrics in this song are outstanding & show what a beautiful heart Jann has! Wow!
The Devil Won:Love the intro to this song and her voice sounds so magnificent on this track!
Away: I really like the beginning of this song; great song about longing & love!
You Are Everything:Beautiful lyrics; so enchanting and sung with simplicity & grace!
Everybody's Broken: Only Jann can tell this story about bullying & abuse in such a way to make people sit up & listen
A Million Miles:I love this song so much...about falling in & out of love. This song got alot of radio play; has a pop sound to it compositionally.
All The Days:This song is so well written...it is dramatic,loving, gut wrenching,so emotionally charged! Wow a 10+ on every level!
Lost:Great lyrical songwriting about the end of a relationship..heartwrenching!

Frampton Comes Alive!
Frampton Comes Alive!
Price: CDN$ 23.66
50 used & new from CDN$ 4.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah The Good Old Days!, June 22 2012
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive! (Audio CD)
There was not a teenage girl alive in the 70's that did not want to meet Peter Frampton. I had the good fortune to see him during this time at a concert in Toronto that still was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. He just exuded the best in rock at that time in the 70's and this CD is his best work to me. I think he was a really great guitarist as well & loved his ability to be creative as you'll hear in "Do You Feel Like We Do". I am still listening to this CD today and have a number of these tracks on my favorite playlist, not out of nostalgia but because they are that good & have stood the test of time.

My favorite tracks are:

Penny For Your Thoughts (one of the best acoustical sweet instrumentals ever), Lines On My Face (everything in this song works from A-Z), Do You Feel Like We Do (love the creative mouth piece...this was the 1st time anyone had heard someone do this; so cool), Wind Of Change(such a great acoustical love song & his vocal...so great!), All I Want To Be(Love the guitar work & his voice was sheer perfection on this track),Baby I Love Your Way (how good does he sound?).

Other notables (especially for those ardent rockers out there):

Something's Happening, Doobie Wah(love his voice), I'll Give You Money (great electrical guitar work),Shine On(reminds me of his days with Humble Pie), Show Me The Way(classic Frampton), It's A Plain Shame(good rock & roll), Jumping Jack Flash(great rendition of the Stones classic), I Wanna Go To The Sun(so well done it hurts)!

Takes me back to the day & wishing to see him all over again!

Foundling (Digi) (Bonus Cd)
Foundling (Digi) (Bonus Cd)
Price: CDN$ 16.67
12 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If It Ain't Broke; Don't Fix It!, June 22 2012
David Gray is hands down one of the best folk singers that hit the music scene in decades. How refreshing it is to hear an actual love song again instead of all the violent or low IQ pop tunes out today. I prefer to have love songs over that anyday. And he doesn't disappoint. The critics always abound..mainly out of their own boredom and keep saying he just keeps singing the same thing over & over. I say "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!" He is a lyrical poetic genius..one of the best songwriter's to have come along in eons and they want him to experiment! What do they want him to put on some pop tart lingerie, shake his bootie and talk about nothing! Please! He is astounding at what he does, so I say if you don't like it, move on to whatever it is your looking for elsewhere!

The songs I loved on this CD are:

Foundling (love the drums in this & his voice, wow), Forgetting (great songwriting), Gossamer Thread (A+ on everything), In God's Name (loved the addition of the mandolin), We Could Fall In Love Again (he just does everything the best), Holding On (captivating lyrics, lovely piano work), When I Was In Your Heart (a masterpiece), A New Day At Midnight (that haunting unique voice),Fixative(astounding),Morning Theme(such a pretty instrumental),The Dotted Line(love the acoustical work & his voice is wicked), A Million Years(my favorite on the CD), A Moment Changes Everything(isn't that the truth?).

A couple of others worth mentioning although they weren't my top favorites are: Only The Wine (nice instrumenation construction), The Old Chair(reminded me of an Irish ballad), Davey Jones Locker(listen to those lyrics),Who's Singing Now(awesome lyrics; lovely flow), Old Father Time(interesting instruments), Indeed I Will(a rockier song for him).

Enjoy Tunes Junkies!

Forty Licks (Rm) (W/4 New Trac
Forty Licks (Rm) (W/4 New Trac
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 66.36
12 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation!, June 21 2012
What can be said about The Rolling Stones after so many years in the music industry. Well perhaps just that they have left an indelible footprint on Rock and are a significant rock band from the genesis of it's inception. They provided what the Beatles couldn't ...and unsqueaky clean "image"! I like that about them...they just were who they were, unabashedly so.

This is a great compiliation of their work as it encompasses all era's of their music within a 40 year sprectrum. What a treat it was listening to some of these tracks again after so many years and realizing how many hit's they had. I got to see them in Toronto back in the 70's and let's just say the stage production was well...Mick & the boys exhibiting their usual brand of "exhibitionism". I have to say I didn't really like them live...but loved watching Mick dance of course & Keith Richards was wicked on the guitar.

I won't critique each song as that would get longwinded but if your looking for a great compilation of their work then pick this one up. I think it's the best compilation of their work for sure.

Clink, clink & cheers to the lads from England for giving us "their" take on Rock music!

For Emma Forever Ago
For Emma Forever Ago
Price: CDN$ 14.35
33 used & new from CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Supremely Talented!, June 21 2012
This review is from: For Emma Forever Ago (Audio CD)
I decided to check out this CD after watching the Grammy's this year & seeing Bon Iver get an award. It made me curious..as I figured if his peers felt he was deserving maybe I should check out his work. I had heard about him escaping to some cabin in the woods to do this CD so figured I would purchase it & I'm so glad I did as it is just an exceptional piece of work. Starting with his beautiful falsetto voice and then couple that with the production of this work which seems so natural & without any gimmicks necessary. I even liked some of the freedom the songs exhibited by having portions that were choppy, unsegmented which just added to the feel that this CD was going to be special and it truly delivers in that regard for the whole CD.

My favorite tracks are Flume (great vocals & guitar work),Skinny Love(outstanding songwriting),The Wolves (harmonies,musical composition & vocals...wow),Blindsided(nice instrumentation, beautiful simplistic vocals..so relaxing),Re:Stacks (nice acoustical work),Creature Fear(great opening harmonies).

My least favorite tracks (that's if your being picky) are For Emma (didn't like the repetitive guitar work in the intro;loved the songwriting though) & Lump Sum ( some nice harmonies though..sounds angelic).

He has made me curious enough to now check out his other CD's...check this CD out it's great!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15