Profile for Elizabeth K. Roth > Reviews

Content by Elizabeth K. Roth

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Elizabeth K. Roth (Brooklyn, New York, USA)

A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
by George R.R. Martin
Price: CDN$ 10.79
79 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted, but amazing, Feb. 5 2004
I'm not sure how the author does it, but while other sprawling fantasy epics can have the characters and plotlines blend togther to the point where no one really cares anymore, this guy manages to make many different viewpoints and people distinct and three-dimensional. He juggles what seems to be an insane number of contenders for the throne to the Seven Kingdoms, and makes you realize what makes everyone different, and differently (or not) qualified to rule.
He is not afraid of killing his characters and what I also like is that everyone is believably shaded, morally. To often there are books like this with a hero that has one, single stock flaw, fighting villians that are plain crazy or evil without reason. These books have people that range all over the moral chart and it's refreshing.

Beyond the Pale
Beyond the Pale
by Elana Dykewomon
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful, Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: Beyond the Pale (Paperback)
Amazing story about amazing women. Also about the Jewish identity. The author mentions that she wanted to tell a story of Jewish persecution outside the Holocaust, to show that it was not an isolated event but the result of a worlwide hatred and she succeeded completley.
This is a book that I felt brought my heritage, both as a woman who likes women and the daughter of a Jewish man into sharp relief, but I'd reccommend it to anyone, for the writing and the stories that need to be told that are braided into it.

The Second Summoning
The Second Summoning
by Tanya Huff
Price: CDN$ 8.35
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, April 18 2002
This book is funny and cute, good escapist entertainment. I did like the first book in the series, Summon the Keeper, better. I thought this one seemed a bit stretched in the plot department. But it's still interesting.

Fires Stone
Fires Stone
by Tanya Huff
15 used & new from CDN$ 2.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Interesting, April 3 2002
This book is a great read when you just want to relax and escape. It has interesting characters, a terrific, flawlessly executed setting, humor and romance. I also happen to like the way Huff treats gay/lesbian themes. It's not the focus of the story, but it's there and it's real.
There were one or two scenes that I thought were a bit melodramatic, which keep me from giving a full five stars, but this isn't a life changing sort of novel. It's an exceptional action adventure story, nothing more, nothing less. It earned it's place on my list of "comfort reading" and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good story, and dosen't mind same sex love.

Crowning Anguish
Crowning Anguish
by Amanat (Ed.)
33 used & new from CDN$ 4.12

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think so..., Oct. 25 2001
This review is from: Crowning Anguish (Paperback)
I was required to read this book for a class on the history of the modern Middle East. I thought this would be one of the more interesting textbooks that I have to read this semester. I was wrong; this thing is painful.
I've been informed by a friend of mine from the area that it probably loses something in the transition from Arabic to English, but to me the whole thing is overwritten, self centered and features the "heroine" blaming her problems largely on society. Of course she does go into detail about that society, providing the historical value, but still. In places it reads like a manuscript rejected from Harlequin Romance Novels.
If you really want a picture of life in the Middle East. read "Struggle and Survival in the Modern Middle East" by Edmund Burke. Gives a better pictue.

The Temple and the Crown
The Temple and the Crown
by Katherine Kurtz
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it a lot-But I might not be typical, Oct. 18 2001
I thought this book was a really good historical fantasy. Atmospheric, well researched, creative, etc.
But. I'm interested in Scottish history, history in general, and occultism. I have books upon books.
Katherine Kurtz is awesome as a writer, and I agree with the person above who said it feels like you are there. It's part of how she makes the story work. The more farfetched mysticism feels real because of the way she describes it and the whole scene.
But if you are not interested in history-you might get a bit lost. To say the least.

The Gift of Asher Lev
The Gift of Asher Lev
by Chaim Potok
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., March 25 1999
The first time I read My Name is Asher Lev I was totally blown away. This sequel did not have the same awe-inspiring effect, but I enjoyed it highly, and would reccommend it strongly to anyone at all.