Profile for blamemame > Reviews

Content by blamemame

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

blamemame (London ON Canada)

Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
by Yotam Ottolenghi
Price: CDN$ 25.04
8 used & new from CDN$ 25.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Only 4 stars because I'm a vegetarian but..., Nov. 9 2012
This review is from: Jerusalem: A Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love this book. I wish it didn't have a section on meat and fish but I knew it did when I bought it. After "Plenty" I just couldn't resist another book by Ottolenghi! "Plenty" is my absolute favourite but this one comes second. His recipes are interesting and detailed. Unlike so many other books by famous cooks, these recipes are doable by just us people who like to cook. Complex enough to be interesting and simple enough to actually accomplish. And the personal remembrances of Jerusalem made me feel that he was standing beside me at the kitchen counter enhancing the cooking experience. I'd say "definitely buy this book"!

Bodum Bistro Electric Blade Grinder, Orange
Bodum Bistro Electric Blade Grinder, Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job. And it's sooo cute too!, Feb. 28 2012
I have a Baratza burr grinder that is the workhorse grinder for my regular coffee. Every day I have to empty it to put in espresso beans for my daily treat. This little Bodum Bistro blade grinder now does the job. Grinds the espresso beans to perfection. Aaaah! (And the orange colour provides an extra ray of sunshine.)

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi
21 used & new from CDN$ 32.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book Gorgeous food, June 23 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
This is even better than his first book. Yotam Ottolenghi outdoes himself in this one. Beautiful illustrations of beautiful food.It's a must have.

Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch
Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch
by Nigel Slater
Price: CDN$ 35.96
18 used & new from CDN$ 35.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for his book on fruit!!!, March 2 2010
I Love Nigel Slater! There, I've said it. He can do no wrong. I'm a vegetarian and he isn't but the way he writes about food is so solid, and his suggested "how-tos" are so charming I can't resist him. And I love this book best of all his books. Even if you don't like to cook you will be delighted reading about his garden and vegetables. If you do like to cook it will inspire you in the kitchen to help vegetables achieve transcendence! And if you have some arable land nearby you might want to try his gardening tips. I would! As I read Tender I - A Cook and His Vegetable Patch I found myself wishing I didn't live in an apartment.

Hippie Kitchen: A Measurefree Vegetarian Cookbook
Hippie Kitchen: A Measurefree Vegetarian Cookbook
by Jean Johnson
16 used & new from CDN$ 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, but..., March 2 2010
This is a "nice", pleasant little book. I'm not sure, though, who it's aimed at. If you are an experienced cook you are already into "measurefree" cooking. If you are a novice cook it won't really teach you much. So, if you're thinking of buying it, see if your neighbourhood library or a friend might lend it to you. I bought it, but I'll be donating it to my local Goodwill bookstore.

Theories Of Everything
Theories Of Everything
by Roz Chast
Price: CDN$ 43.43
8 used & new from CDN$ 33.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too short or too long, June 27 2009
This review is from: Theories Of Everything (Hardcover)
Roz Chast's cartoons are laugh-out-loud funny and needlepoint sharp about the failings and foibles of human beings. Her odd, squiggly drawings are sure to amuse you. You'll find yourself somewhere in her words or pictures! Buy this book.

Fruit: Edible, Inedible, Incredible
Fruit: Edible, Inedible, Incredible
by Wolfgang Stuppy
12 used & new from CDN$ 54.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Horribly gorgeous images, April 13 2009
I thought _Seeds_ included the most fantastic and incredible set of images that could be produced. It may be that book has been outdone with _Fruit_. It's hard to bite into a piece of fruit after looking at these science-fictional representations. Revelatory!

Fodor's New Orleans 2009
Fodor's New Orleans 2009
by Fodor's
Price: CDN$ 16.80
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful enough, April 13 2009
This up-to-date guidebook is useful enough, but like most guidebooks it doesn't include a street-by-street analysis. I don't like their special Fodor's choices of should-see items, preferring to make my own decisions about what is special.

Eyewitness Travel Guides New Orleans
Eyewitness Travel Guides New Orleans
by Dorling Kindersley
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but..., April 13 2009
This guide is full of pretty pictures of NOLA but short of street-by-street information. The discussion of the path of Katrina is interesting but not "useful" in terms of viewing the city. I wouldn't recommend this as an only guidebook.

Access Philadelphia 4e
Access Philadelphia 4e
by Access Press
6 used & new from CDN$ 3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Baaad Guidebook -- Publisher doesn't care, Dec 31 2000
This review is from: Access Philadelphia 4e (Paperback)
Do not buy this book! The inaccurate maps will drive you crazy! Maybe if you already knew Philadelphia, it'd be okay. But then, you wouldn't really need the book. Letters to the publisher have gone unanswered. I'd seriously consider never buying another Access Guide on the basis of this one.