Profile for M. D. Baker > Reviews

Content by M. D. Baker

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

M. D. Baker "lover of books..." (Quebec Canada)

Jesus on Justice: Living Lives of Compassion and Conviction
Jesus on Justice: Living Lives of Compassion and Conviction
by Don Posterski
2 used & new from CDN$ 10.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read- If you want to change your view..., Aug. 2 2013
The title of this book intrigued me. I needed to know what Jesus said about Justice. The greatest revolutionary of all times! Of course I would want to know what he said about Justice. Don’t you? ‘Jesus lived right. Jesus made life right for others. Jesus wants us to do the same’. This is great, but how do we live like Jesus lived? How do we do what Jesus did?

From the introduction of this book I was involved, curious, and wanting more. The question that had always plagued me was -but how? How do I live like Jesus? This book leads you through a study of biblical principles that Jesus has laid out and followed.

The depth of information in each chapter, and the possibility of transformation that can happen lends itself to being read in a group of like minded people who are looking for ways to move beyond their comfort zone. This book is also a wonderful personal read. It requires time, it is not a quick read and I don’t think it was meant to be. It will take time. There are passages to read, Bible to study, questions to contemplate, and prayers to pray. Each chapter requires enough time to read and contemplate in order to create a permanent change in the heart.

Here is a little book mapping for you:

There are 4 sections in the book:
Including the Excluded
Challenging Cultural Practices
Confronting the Powerful
Advocating for the the Oppressed

Three issues are dealt with in each of these sections.

An example of the first section: Including the Excluded is broken down into three issues: Showing Compassion toward social outsiders, Protesting gender inequality, and Embracing excluded children. In each of these sections, Don goes into detail about the Historical Predicaments, Encountering God in the Bible (What does Jesus say about it), Current Challenges- how is this relevant today in our lives? And, Prayers of Response.

The layout of this book reminds me of Lectio Divina (Latin for divine reading) which is a traditional Benedictine practice of scriptural reading, meditation and prayer intended to promote communion with God and to increase the knowledge of God’s word. This book does just that. It creates a safe place to question your own thoughts and intentions. It allows God’s word to speak to each of us individually.

I will be re-reading this book and hopefully sharing it with a group. Jesus on Justice has not only changed my perspective on Justice it has encouraged me to move beyond my own sphere of influence and to become bold. To talk out loud about issues that need to be discussed. Are you ready to move beyond your comfort zone? If so, then this book is for you.

Book has been provided courtesy of World Vision and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at Churches.WorldVision.ca/resources

Lifelong Love Affair: How to Have a Passionate and Deeply Rewarding Marriage
Lifelong Love Affair: How to Have a Passionate and Deeply Rewarding Marriage
by Jimmy Evans
Price: CDN$ 16.60
33 used & new from CDN$ 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifelong Love Affair- is it even possible?!, Jan. 31 2013
A life long love affair. Does such a thing even exist? In the throw away world we live in today is it possible to create a love affair that will withstand the tests of time? Can it? Will it? Can we?

After reading this book, I am convinced that we can build a biblical marriage that can and will withstand the tests of time. Without a doubt, I can say with a resounding yes, it is possible. -If you’ve been around me the past couple of weeks while I’ve been reading this book, you have heard me shout it from the rooftops :)

I was instantly hooked when I started reading this book and the Evans wrote; “ A great marriage is not the results of two “soul mates” who happen to find each other. It is built through years of consistency and devotion -- through a lifetime of dedication, effort and sacrifice. Through a conscious decision to do whatever it takes to make the marriage the best it can possibly be.” You see we put too much pressure on finding the right person instead of being the right person. Our culture and our society says that we need to look out for Number 1. Me. Myself. You need to look after yourself. This is a direct affront to what the Bible says.

I’ve read many books on marriage. Not because I have a bad marriage, but because when you are passionate about something you want to get all the details available. I love talking to older couples who have been through what my hubby and I are going through at the moment. I love learning from other’s experiences. This book reminds me of conversations past down from generation to generation. The way Jimmy Evans writes this book, its as though a conversation is happening. It tells stories, gives insight and guides. I have been truly changed by this book.

What I loved most, is that this book is not going to beat you over the head with things you are doing wrong, instead it is going to guide you to start doing what is right. Doing what works. Beginning with yourself.

If you are looking for a book that will: arm you with tools to create a fulfilling marriage- starting with yourself; if you are looking or Biblical Principles that work; if you are looking for a life long love affaire. This book is for you.

Get yourself a cup of tea, curl up on the couch and get reading!
M.

PS. this is by far my favourite book on marriage ever- and I've read plenty.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group

Chase DVD-Based Study
Chase DVD-Based Study
by Jennie Allen
Price: CDN$ 27.58
22 used & new from CDN$ 27.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Chase, Dec 12 2012
This review is from: Chase DVD-Based Study (Paperback)
What are you running after? What are you trying to catch in this life? What are those things you go to for comfort, for fun, for support and for that feeling of enjoyment?

We are all running after something. In our society nothing we catch seems to satisfy the soul. We continually run for the bigger, the better, and you know what someone will always have more, be more. We cannot attain happiness on this society’s track. We cannot please everyone, we cannot live up to nor attain other people’s ideals of what we ought to be. However, we can chase after the truth, we can chase after the one thing that will bring peace and joy and contentment. The one thing that can help us be ourselves. Be truly what we are meant to be.

“Chase” is a women’s bible study DVD series written by Jennie Allen.This series is based on “a man after God’s own heart”. The life of David. David was not perfect by any means, but his heart ran fully and truly after God. His passion was for God. His purpose was to pursuit God.

This series helps us to see our own hearts, what are we running after and what is important to us. Then it helps us understand that chasing those things brings superficial happiness compared to the great joy that comes with knowing, loving and pursuing the maker of the universe. It delves into defining our identity. Knowing who we truly are and knowing our purpose.

Jennie is passionate about creating “raw, relational conversations about struggles and hopes.” In the day and age we live in, where most people are just making it from point a to point b without an understanding of a deeper meaning - this series helps us get it!

I am thoroughly enjoying this series. It makes me stop and think. Even when I am not studying, I will find myself reflecting on something that was said in the DVD. It has helped me reconnect my heart. It is challenging and encouraging. It is nice to know I am not alone flailing about in a crazy messed up world, gravitating to those things that give me superficial comfort. I highly recommend this series...

Sample book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
DVD Study Kit available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson

by Dave Sterrett
Price: CDN$ 15.67
78 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, Read it, DO IT. Amazing book., July 19 2012
By: Doug Bender and Dave Sterrett

If I am second, who is first? In the world we live in today, this question most likely crosses the mind of anyone who sees this book. After all haven't we been taught to take care of ourselves first? If you aren't healthy and happy how can you help others become healthy and happy. You've got to look out for number 1. So in our world this number 1 is us right? What if that is crazy? What if we've swallowed the biggest lie in the world? What if there is someone who comes before us and when He does, then we are truly in a place of peace and happiness. Truly able to live our lives to the fullest, truly able to help and to love others. What if we are second?

I Am Second recounts the stories of many people who have asked this question and have come to the same conclusion. Second. It isn't about me. I am merely a by product of something bigger, something major, something eternal.

The stories in this book are a reflections of the lives we are living or have lived. The ability to see myself in this book on many different pages was amazing. I was blown away by the stories, moved from tears to laughter and to tears again. Rock bottom may look different for different people, but it is still rock bottom. It is the place you've been where every fiber of your being calls out for help. It is the place where you finally find ground to stand again. It is your new beginning. This book is about those who have hit rock bottom, called on Jesus and truly started living. Living not for themselves but for Jesus. Jesus is First.

The honesty and the truth that radiates from these pages is filled with hope. A hope in something greater than ourselves, a hope in something greater than anything we can buy, attain or achieve.

This book has truly changed the way I think. It has caused me to re-evaluate how I live my life, who I live my life for and why I am living my life. It isn't about me. It'a about Jesus, He is first. I am second.

I highly recommend this book. Get it, read it, do it.

M.

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson

Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
by Bob Goff
Price: CDN$ 12.40
47 used & new from CDN$ 5.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Does, Now go do., June 15 2012
I've just turned the final page of the book Love Does by Bob Goff. I've written myself note in the margin: Love does, now go do, but I'll get back to that in a minute.

This book is quirky and fun and leaves a lasting impression on your heart. I know when we think of the term lasting impression, it somehow loses its actual meaning. Think about a lasting impression, like a dent in a car door, a tattoo or a scar. Something that you carry with you always. Even if you have it fixed or removed there is still evidence that something has happened, look closely the evidence is still there.

Love Does is not a novel telling a story, it is instead a patchwork quilt; pieces of an incredible life sewn together to create a powerful image of love. The stories told, the laughs shared, the tear shed will keep you coming back for more and asking yourself what does love look like? This Jesus love that doesn't merely talk, shout, or preach but actually does. This love walks the walk.

I wish I could tell you my favourite part, this book is full of favourite parts for me. I know that my life has been altered and changed because I have read it. I've been motivated and moved to do. Not just say, but do.

I don't usually add passages of the books I read, but this resonated with me so I wanted to share it.
There is a really interesting chapter that talks about a painting Bob saw and fell in love with. He saved his money and went to buy it. When he arrived, the Curator of the gallery had two paintings ready for him, the original (to be put away-for insurance purposes) and a very well painted replica to hang in his house. Bob, as you'll get to know and understand, doesn't want the fake (although incredible and identical) hanging in his house, so he hangs the original. Through some fun loving that happens in Bob's house the painting gets a mark-a permanent reminder that something has altered this image forever, never to be the same again. But he loves it. He loves it even more because of this new mark. He says:

'...I realized that God doesn't think any less of us when things don't go right. Actually, I think He plans on it. What
he doesn't plan on is us putting a fake version of ourselves out there to take the hit. God is the master artist and
made an original version of us, a priceless one that costs everything to create. A version that can't and won't be
created again.

He asks us to hang that version of ourselves for everyone to see. Despite our inherent beauty, each of us is
tempted to hide the original so we won't get damaged. I understand why, I really do. And the fake version of us,
it's not worthless. It's just worth less because it's only a copy of the real us, a version we don't care about as
much.' [149]

A powerful insight, a peeling back of layers about our own personal perspectives of who we think God is, and what we think He wants. Its interesting what happens when we finally let Him out of the box we so neatly tuck him into daily.
This book will not only enhance your life, it will encourage doable change. It will give you the encouragement you need to be a doer not a sayer, a walker not a talker.
Love Does. Now go do.
M.

By the way, I love that I get to do this!

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson

The Lion Cubs
The Lion Cubs
by Chrissy M. Dennis
Price: CDN$ 12.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, April 27 2012
This review is from: The Lion Cubs (Paperback)
The Lion Cubs By Chrissy M. Dennis

First impressions out of the box was; 'oh wow...what have I gotten myself into?' I am such a visual person and the cover has just thrown me off. I was very excited to get this book after reading the synopses but is has sat on my reading chair for the last 5 days without even being opened. I know we shouldn't judge a book by the cover...but sometimes covers are hard to get over.

Then I started it. I couldn't put it down! I read it in a day, yes all 411 pages of it. It is a story of two lives intertwined by destiny and God's hand. It is a story of redemption, love, forgiveness, closure and new beginnings. It weaves its way through two very different, yet similar, characters who ultimately find each other.

Lexi is a teenage run away, existing in a life emotionally scarred by hatred, regret, and circumstances beyond her control. She lives a life of reaction to the system, the foster families and the group homes. Her body has been physically scarred by the same. She feels she is a nobody, who could ever possibly care for her, love her, understand her?

Liz a young doctor, a recent widower is hiding from life by throwing herself into her work. Shielding her heart from pain, trying to avoid it at all costs. Her main goal seems to be to just survive life until its over. She is not living a life, she is merely existing and playing a role. All of this changes the first time she sees Lexi on the street. Something in Liz is moved, mobilized and ignited for this girl. Who is this kid that is causing her to care, to believe, to hope?

I was very surprised to find out that this is Chrissy M. Dennis's first book. It is well written and extremely engaging. I highly recommend it. It is classified as a young adult book, however having read it, I would encourage you to read it no matter what your age, after all couldn't we all benefit from a story of redemption, love, forgiveness and grace...again?

Hope you enjoy it! I certainly did!

Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together
Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together
by Mark Driscoll
Price: CDN$ 17.86
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Stuff., Jan. 15 2012
A marriage of 20 years has guts to spill, stories to tell and lessons to teach. Mark Driscoll and his wife Grace have done just that in their new book Real Marriage; The Truth About Sex, Friendship, & Life Together. Of course this book is not a detailed account of their sex life, as many I am sure are hoping, instead it is a book that shares the truth about what can happen in a marriage, what can end a marriage, what totally messes up a marriage and what can be done to start healing in a marriage.

This book is a heavy read, every page is packed with punch and opportunities to better your own marriage, sex life, and life. It's a page turner, arming you with information that your mother forgot to tell you. We all waltz into marriage with our own ideas of what it is. Usually it's an idea that a marketing company, an author, a TV producer or someone in our lives has given us.

If you are married you've probably been hit square between the eyes with an eye opening reality, about 3 months into your marriage, that this might not be exactly what you signed up for. Everyone else's marriage seems to be fine, you figure yours will be too, someday it will measure up and be okay, or you concede defeat and grin and bear it. This book is a tool to change your marriage from a grin and bear it to a marriage filled with joy, great sex, and real communication.

It doesn't just stop there, it is packed full of questions, that as Christians, we've all asked ourselves; Can we do that?! You know the stuff that you wouldn't dare ask your mother, you're too embarrassed to ask a friend and you certainly wouldn't want your pastor to find out you've tried a few of them. Mark and Grace bring a biblical perspective to the questions you thought you'd never hear a pastor answer honestly, thoughtfully and prayerfully.

The final chapter is chalked so full of quality life changing tools that it, in itself, could be a stand alone book.

This book will change your life if you let it. It can be read and shelved, or it can be read and applied. Depending on which you choose your life and marriage will be better for having just read it.

by Andy Andrews
Price: CDN$ 14.59
56 used & new from CDN$ 1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars It will blow you away!, June 10 2009
Andy Andrews

A cold dark place under a bridge in the small community of Orange Beach, Alabama soon becomes a place of hope and light as Jones enters the scene. Jones is a rambling man, a drifter who comes and goes. Everyone knows him and no one knows him. He is known as Garcia, Chen, and Jones, he is both black and white as well as Hispanic and Asian all at the same time. Although Jones is a man of metamorphosis he is consistent in noticing the things around him and enabling others to change their point of view, leaving a trail of light and hope where ever he goes.
I expected to enjoy this book, and within the first chapter I was hooked. This story resonated in me. I actually had to tell myself to put it down, I had other things to do, but something inside of me wanted to keep reading. It is filled with inspiration and ideas. Although this novel is not a 'self help book' it will move you to make changes you perhaps thought were too big to do on your own. By putting your own life in perspective with these easy to implement ideas, you will come to realize how simple it can be and what a big difference a little change can make.
This book is an entertaining account of one man, whose life changed a community, and from this small community, it will go on to change a nation and the world. The story is a woven tapestry of fiction, allegory and inspiration. It is an easy to read tale of someone who has made a difference. Something each one of us, at one point, has wanted to do. This book summons us to make the changes necessary to do that.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a little change, even if it is just a change of perspective, or merely looking for a great read that will keep you turning the pages.
Happy Reading,