Profile for Matthew A. Brown > Reviews

Content by Matthew A. Brown

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Matthew A. Brown "Matt" (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right
by Al Franken
122 used & new from CDN$ 0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars I need a little compassionate conservatism today, Sept. 24 2003
I'll admit it. I consider myself a liberal and I liked the book. Well, I liked it until I read some of the insightful reviews from people who didn't like it. I'm sure you too will be convinced, after just a few choice words from the negative reviews:
"The reason that Al Franken and Ann Coulter despise each other so, is because they are the same." -- You know, I always thought Ann looked like a man! I think this reviewer discovered the truth about Al, that he's really a female neo-conservative masquerading as a leftist activist and comedian!
"If Al Franken had any real political pull in this country, we'd be inviting Bin Laden to a $1000 per head lecture at the base of the Statue of Liberty on why America deserves to be destroyed." -- I tried to overlook this one remark in Al's book on page 21, but he does admit it... he hates America. Why did you have to remind me? I'm sure he wants America to be destroyed too, even though he would have to move.
"That is a bald faced lie [Fair and Balanced] appearing on the very cover of the book." -- Oh my gosh! You're right! And I had mistaken it for satire. He is such a liar. The proof is in the pudding.
"For every lie in his book by the right, there are hundreds from the left." -- I applaud this persons courage in admitting that the right lies. It troubles me deeply to learn that the left lies 100 times more, however. I guess the reviewer ran out of room to list more than 0 of the lies from the left though.
"This book is so full of Lies that I hope someone will take it on and expose each and every one in another best seller." -- I hope so too! And I'm going to just keep hitting 'refresh' on the books homepage until it appears.
"He's wrong about Ann. She knows her stuff. Just watch her in interviews. Check out the Media Research Centers video of her laying Katie Couric out." -- I know Ann is not married, but I have no desire to see this act depicted. It's too horrible to imagine.
"His views on the world should be criminal." -- I'm with you. There's another great book called 1984 which outlines thought crime. Ashcroft is already on it, rest assured.
"This Guy is a Complete Idiot. Al and friends are getting upset and have taken to name calling (you know that wonderful thing liberals do.)" -- You're right. Al is a name-caller. And, he's a liberal and an idiot! Nya!

Spellbound (The Criterion Collection)
Spellbound (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Ingrid Bergman
Offered by MusicMoviesAndMore
Price: CDN$ 65.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 22.27

1.0 out of 5 stars DVD doesn't load, Oct. 1 2002
Like another reviewer, I am not able to load the DVD on my Toshiba SD-1200 player. I own quite a few DVD's and have watched a lot of rentals and have not had any problems like this before now. I'm quite disappointed as I'm both a fan of Hitchcock and Criterion.
Note: I contacted Criterion about this after submitting my review. They acknowledged a faulty pressing of the DVD and will reissue the DVD around the first week of November. You can also exchange your DVD with Criterion directly through the mail. Check out their website... for contact information.

A Matter of Taste (Version française) [Import]
A Matter of Taste (Version française) [Import]
DVD ~ Bernard Giraudeau
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 12.81
4 used & new from CDN$ 12.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Film Festival Fare, Oct. 1 2002
This movie played at the Seattle International Film Festival in 2001 and I happened to catch it. The plot follows a wealthy, powerful business man and the waiter he hires to become his food taster. A strange premise, but I thought, rife with possibilities. Sexual undertones are suggested and a power struggle ensues as the employer tries to involve his new employee in increasingly bizarre activites. Overall, an enjoyable movie, but definitely film festival fare. The version I saw was French with English subtitles.

Volume 7
Volume 7
Price: CDN$ 10.83
4 used & new from CDN$ 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, Sept. 23 2002
This review is from: Volume 7 (Audio CD)
When it comes to Eurodance compilations, usually I'm lucky to find 2 or 3 good songs on a CD and the rest is garbage. Not so for this compilation. Of the 22 songs here, 4 of them are exceptional and worth the price of the CD alone: Remember Me by Nicole Brand, Hypnotize by Qu-Zar, I Can't Get Over You by Ice and Close My Eyes by Astroline. The rest of the songs are only great! I think 3 of the songs here are a bit out of place, more along the lines of techno, but they're still good songs: Woman & Drums by Millo, G-Spott by Melo-G which is probably the only song here I don't care for, and The Jumper by Hammer House. This is 80 minutes of continuously mixed music that you can listen to again and again.

Poirot: 5pc Box: Movie Collect
Poirot: 5pc Box: Movie Collect
DVD ~ David Suchet
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 290.38
6 used & new from CDN$ 55.44

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality DVD's, Very disappointed, Sept. 5 2002
I recently discovered this set available on DVD and was very excited, since I've been a fan of David Suchet, Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot for a long time. I was really looking forward to viewing these, however the poor quality of the image was apparent to me in the first scene and it didn't get better. The image quality is actually worse than what I've seen on aired on television via cable. The picture appears to be composed of thousands of tiny vertical lines, which are easily discernable and difficult to ignore. I'm amazed Acorn would release such a great series in such a low quality package and then charge so much for it. I will definitely not buy any other titles by Acorn Media.

Roget's International Thesaurus, 6e, Thumb Indexed
Roget's International Thesaurus, 6e, Thumb Indexed
by Barbara A Kipfer
11 used & new from CDN$ 10.72

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I manage without this?, Jan. 25 2002
If you're a writer or interested in language this book is indispensible. This 6th edition is the first thesaurus I've owned and I wonder why I waited so long to get one. The first section of the book is a catalog of words grouped together by subject with the subjects listed at the beginning of the book. The second half of the book is the index, where a word can be found alphabetically and then indexed numerically to the categories in the front. I've spent some time perusing this book and I should say that I've had no difficulty with the typeface.

Traveler's Atlas, The
Traveler's Atlas, The
by J. Man
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, Dec 11 2001
This review is from: Traveler's Atlas, The (Hardcover)
This is the book I was looking for to give my mother for Christmas. I wanted something about world travel, with beautiful pictures, descriptions of places, and geological maps. This book has that and more.
In addition to these things, the book has a sidebar of facts on each place, summarizing climate, local language, currency, best time to go, health concerns and other useful information. There is also a world climate map in the front of the book which labels each area covered in the book.
The photography is excellent and I think the coverage is fairly well-rounded. The book opens with information on Banff National Park in Canada, proceeds around the globe in a more or less eastward direction and finishes in the Pacific with Tahiti and Easter Island.
A large spectrum of travel is covered, but there are some notable places missing. The authors left out some great cities in Europe, although they do cover Venice, Prague, Vienna and Krakow. These are all beautiful cities and deserve their place in this book, but absent are Paris, Rome, Athens, and London. It's easy enough to find books on these places though and I suspect the authors overlooked them for this reason.
One place conspicously absent, which I cannot forgive them for overlooking is the Caribbean. I may be biased, but I do think the Caribbean is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Any well-traveled soul must see at least one of the islands of the Greater or Lesser Antilles.
In spite of this, I still give the book 4 stars and feel that it is a wonderful place to look for travel ideas or to do some world exploration from the comfort of an easy chair.

Manhattan Skyscrapers
Manhattan Skyscrapers
by Eric Nash
12 used & new from CDN$ 7.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not definitive, Nov. 23 2001
This review is from: Manhattan Skyscrapers (Hardcover)
I ordered this book after September 11th as a sort of timecapsule of the New York skyline and a historical record of the World Trade Center towers. The formatting of the book is nice, in chronological order by building, with equal background devoted to each building. There are wonderful pictures of every building, along with some building plans and surrounding area maps.
My biggest complaint is that this book devotes equal time to a lot of non-descript skyscrapers from the 1960's and 1970's that don't really add to the uniqueness of the NY skyline. Some of the architecture of that period is just drab and uninteresting. I would've liked to have seen more concentration on the earlier period of New York's building boom. I think more interior shots would round out this book. The book could also include at least another 50-75 buildings, which is why I don't feel that it's definitive.
That said, this is a nice book, well-formatted, which covers most of the landmark buildings in Manhattan, including the former World Trade Center towers and surrounding buildings.

Purple Rose of Cairo (Widescreen)
Purple Rose of Cairo (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Mia Farrow
6 used & new from CDN$ 9.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Why we love the movies, Nov. 8 2001
Cecilia goes to the movies night after night, to escape her dreary life, and sees The Purple Rose of Cairo over and over. Each time, we pick up little scenes from the movie that is unfolding within the movie. Imagine the surprise, when a scene we've watched before isn't quite right. The Tom Baxter character seems distracted. Is it possible he just glanced out into the audience?
This is exactly what Tom Baxter does, as he's noticed Ceclia watching the movie night after night. We watch as he starts speaking to her as she sits in her theater seat and eventually he jumps down off of the screen to the surprise of the audience and the cast of the Purple Rose of Cairo.
The comedy is great, as the movie cast can't proceed without Tom. They start to bicker amongst themselves and even take out their frustration on the audience..."You think you've got problems? We've got problems of our own!" Tom and Ceclia begin an offscreen adventure that makes clever use of the fact that Tom isn't actually a real person. There are plenty of gags and some great lines, particularly when Cecila proclaims that she's finally met the perfect man, "although he is fictional."
This is one of my favorite Allen films that doesn't actually star Allen. I'm happy that this movie, along with Hannah and Her Sisters, Broadway Danny Rose and Play it again Sam, have finally been released on DVD. This is a typical no-frills MGM release, with the movie in widescreen format, the theatrical trailer, and optional subtitles.

The Unruly Life of Woody Allen: A Biography
The Unruly Life of Woody Allen: A Biography
by Marion Meade
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars What was the point?, Sept. 11 2001
As with any book, I would expect a certain amount of author bias toward the subject. From the first few pages it is obvious that Marion Meade doesn't respect Woody Allen professionally, believes his success a matter of luck, detests his films, and thinks even less of him as a person. So why bother writing about him?
There is a lot of biographical information about Woody's childhood, his family, his stand-up career and his filmmaking--which is the only reason I gave this book 2 stars. I did force myself to finish the book. However, every topic the author covers is tainted by her low opinion of Mr. Allen. I don't agree with the personal choices Woody Allen has made with regard to the Mia Farrow, Soon-Yi fiasco, but at the same time, I do like Woody Allen's films and respect him as a director. Ms. Meade doesn't, so her book is a difficult load to swallow.
If you're looking for a biography that gives Woody Allen credit for his contribution to American cinema, avoid this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3