Profile for Miss Tresninos > Reviews

Content by Miss Tresninos

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Miss Tresninos "mistresninos" (SoCal)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Reading and Understanding the Bible
Reading and Understanding the Bible
by Vic Lockman
5 used & new from CDN$ 38.33

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, July 16 2004
You can get it new from Crown and Covenant Publications for only $6.50.

Scorpions
Scorpions
by Manny Rubio
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Read BEFORE you buy, June 9 2004
This review is from: Scorpions (Paperback)
Or, before you allow your son to buy. hehehe
I know that should go without saying but not everyone realizes how serious a thing this sort of "pet" is. This book covers how easily scorpions can make their escape and describes how to safely house them. As a mother that is my main concern.
I was pleased at how well the safety issues are covered in this area and we have been using this book to discuss with our son the importance of proper care and housing of a creature like this BEFORE he even buys one.

Casey Joness Fireman
Casey Joness Fireman
by Nancy Farmer
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, June 9 2004
This review is from: Casey Joness Fireman (Hardcover)
We picked up this book thinking it would be an interesting biography of Sim Webb. Since our sons LOVE trains and the story of Casey Jones, we were all looking forward to reading it.
Unfortunately, after a good beginning, and in spite of some excellent artwork, it descends into a bizarre story about the trumpet of Gabriel.
It IS a folk tale. Wish we'd realized that before we'd bothered to open it.

Baby Mozart
Baby Mozart
9 used & new from CDN$ 3.92

5.0 out of 5 stars My two-year-old still loves it., May 17 2004
This review is from: Baby Mozart (VHS Tape)
Even though he has it memorized, he loves to watch it and "sing" along and, especially, growl with the dragon. It's a boy thing, ok? :-D
My other children love it as well. And, as with the other musical Baby Einstein videos, this one is not annoying to parents. A big plus in children's video today.

Baby Einstein
Baby Einstein
6 used & new from CDN$ 25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, May 16 2004
This review is from: Baby Einstein (VHS Tape)
Like many here have already stated, I believe this is not the best Baby Einstein video. My children bore easily when watching it...probably because they have no idea what is being said. I think it could be made better by having either subtitles in English or by having the sub-titles in the language that is being spoken. At least then the parents would be able to help the children understand better.

Baby Beethoven
Baby Beethoven
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fun for all ages, May 16 2004
This review is from: Baby Beethoven (VHS Tape)
All my children love this video, from my seven-year-old down to my 5-month-old. The music is fun sounding. It is not exactly traditional instead the creator of the videos has embellished each symphony and Fur Elise to sound more "play-timey." Still, my older two children are able to identify the music when they hear it on the radio as being a piece from the video.
My husband and I like it because it is not filled with "dribble." Most children's videos are mostly talking and can, in many instances, be downright dumb to the adult mind. We are not as easily annoyed with these videos as we are with, say, Bob the Builder or Thomas the Tank Engine.

Cheaper By The Dozen 2003 (Bilingual)
Cheaper By The Dozen 2003 (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Steve Martin
Price: CDN$ 6.98
78 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke..., May 11 2004
don't remake it.
This is the latest in a long line of really pathetic attempts to modernize some very good film classics. As in the destruction of the "Father of the Bride" movies, this one is inane and completely misses the point and the humor of the original.
I really wish Steve Martin would go back to walking around with an arrow through his head. He was much funnier then.

A Chair For My Mother
A Chair For My Mother
by Vera Williams
Price: CDN$ 15.16
37 used & new from CDN$ 1.29

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful story, May 7 2004
This review is from: A Chair For My Mother (Hardcover)
I really loved this book. It tells a sweet story about how a family is supported by friends and family after they lose their house to a fire. It also shows how the family works together to save up for a chair so the mother, who works as a waitress to support them, can have a comfortable place to sit.
I give it 4 stars only because my son did not care for it. I can only assume it is because none of the characters were boys and, it's really not a "boy" story, I suppose. He may also have had a difficult time relating to the whole idea of single parenthood. This is a rather foreign thing to him.

Sign Language:Numer & Letter Games
Sign Language:Numer & Letter Games
by S. Harold Collins
Price: CDN$ 5.95
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT a beginner book, May 7 2004
This is more of an intermediate book and not well written at that. The most horribly written section (if I had to choose one) is on sports signs. The instructions claim that "Each sign clearly demonstrates its sport." To whom I have no idea. Maybe a few of the signs were obvious but the rest were extremely confusing. My husband, who is a genius, could not figure some of them out.
If you have an older child who is learning SEE this might be an ok book but if you are truly working with a beginner, this will only frustrate you.

Multnomah Publishers The Prayer Of Jabez: Breaking Through To The Blessed Life
Multnomah Publishers The Prayer Of Jabez: Breaking Through To The Blessed Life
by Bruce H. Wilkinson
351 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars "Blessed Life?", May 2 2004
You know, it's too bad the patriarch's of the faith had not the wisdom and insight of Bruce Wilkinson...they might have saved themselves a whole lot of paing and suffering.
Poor Jeremiah would never have been "stuck in the muck" for all that time.
Hosea never would have needed to marry a harlot.
Paul's thorn in his side would have been removed.
None of the apostle's would have needed to die a martyred death. On that line of thought...none of the Christian martyr's throughout the ages needed to die such horrible and torturous deaths.
Christians in the middle east and in China are suffering only because they cannot get their hands on this "wisdom" espoused by Wilkinson.
We can also cut out Christ's words from the bible, much in the same way Thomas Jefferson cut out the miracles from the bible. There is no need to read about how He came to bring the sword and not peace (Matt. 10:34-36) or how the Son of Man has no place to lie his head (Matt. 8:20).
Carried to it's logical conclusion, it commits the ultimate blasphemy...Christ needn't die...if only our Lord had the wisdom of Bruce Wilkinson. What a pity.
But, praise be, Bruce Wilkinson can help us, by this prayer usher in that hope that is promised in Rev. 21:4 and we will suffer no more.
Please, people, all joking aside, read your bibles. Start with 1 John 4 then read Matt. 7:15 and Acts 20:29. Maybe, just maybe, your eyes will be open to the false teaching that is in these pages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5