Profile for Richard M. Andrews > Reviews

Content by Richard M. Andrews

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Richard M. Andrews (Canada)

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set: Fantasy Roleplaying Game Starter Set
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set: Fantasy Roleplaying Game Starter Set
by Wizards RPG Team
Edition: Misc. Supplies
Price: CDN$ 17.32
23 used & new from CDN$ 14.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Returning to form., Aug. 26 2014
I'm highly impressed by D&D 5th edition. It's much better than 4th, which chased me to Pathfinder. 5th isn't mindblowing enough to switch me back, but it's absolutely good enough to deserve recommending to others. It seems to take the complexity level of 2nd, make the math more logical and consistent like 3rd, then add some clever streamlining ala 4th.

Heroes: Season 1
Heroes: Season 1
DVD ~ Hayden Panettiere
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 24.99
30 used & new from CDN$ 5.97

2.0 out of 5 stars So...... drawn...... out......, July 28 2010
This review is from: Heroes: Season 1 (DVD)
In all aspects except one, this show is extremely well done. I won't bother to elaborate, there's enough 5 star reviews to cover the details.

But there is a huge elephant in the closet, at least for me. The plot is as slow as molasses. I sat in front of the TV cursing a blue streak at the writers every time some stupid coincidence set things back three episodes. It was a slog to finish the season and the ending felt like just another setback.

Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness- Volume 2
Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness- Volume 2
by Sasakura Kou
Price: CDN$ 11.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 10.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore previous reviewer, Dec 28 2009
What the previous reviewer does not know is that Japanese manga is MEANT to be read right to left. There is no problem with the printing.

Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness- Volume 1
Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness- Volume 1
by Sasakura Kou
Price: CDN$ 10.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the previous reviewer, Dec 28 2009
What the previous reviewer clearly does not know is that japanese manga is meant to be read right to left. This is the original format, thus, the book is in fact printed correctly.

Golden Axe: Beast Rider - PlayStation 3
Golden Axe: Beast Rider - PlayStation 3
19 used & new from CDN$ 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but definitely not perfect, Dec 10 2008
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
For me action games live or die based on the combat system. Golden Axe has one of the better systems I've come across, far more strategic than it's most similar counterpart, Heavenly Sword. It's satisfying, fun, and definitely more oldschool hack-and-slash inspired as compared to the speed/mobility-focused system of Ninja Gaiden or the melee/ranged system worked out for Devil May Cry. But then that makes sense for a Golden Axe game. Just don't expect your skills from any other action game to transfer over.

And now a warning: this game is teeth-grindingly HARD. Much harder than Heavenly Sword or God of War - probably up there with Ninja Gaiden, although the boss fights don't seem as hard as Gaiden. To succeed, you need to work out not only enemy patterns, but a variety of sound and visual cues to succeed. (Some review sites accused this game of taking cheap hits. Completely false - everything has some sort of cue.)

There are two downsides to this game. First, repitition. Prepare to walk through a lot of wastelands. And the variety of enemy design is not great. They show up with various and sundry weapons and fighting styles, but they all look darn similar, really.

The second downside is the invisible walls - there's a lot. ARGH.

I do think this game is highly underrated by the mainstream press and will be fun for gamers whose prime motivation for play is to face challenge. It's not a game you play for massive production values, gorgeous cutscenes, colorful sweeping vistas, or an involving plot. This is a game you play to feel like a sexy shoeless god of war after beating the everloving crap out of another endless swarm of ugly mofos *fist pound*

Baroque - Xbox 360
Baroque - Xbox 360
Offered by CanadianStore
Price: CDN$ 29.99
15 used & new from CDN$ 5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the hardcore, April 11 2008
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Baroque - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Baroque may be marketed as an action RPG, but it's heart is that of a roguelike. Roguelikes are a genre based on certain conventions, such an emphasis on replayability with randomized dungeons and items, deep and detailed game mechanics, and unrelenting difficulty with severe penalties for death. Tradtionally, rogulikes also have the simplest of stories and visuals. Baroque luckily exceeds the standard here, with a genuinely twisted story and exceedingly atmospheric graphics.

Be warned, Baroque is a traditional roguelike in that you lose all your items and levels with each death. Ironically, you must die to further the story, and believe me, you WILL die... often... which leads me to another way baroque deviates from regular roguelikes - you can restore save games to recover from death. But as I said, death is part of the story, so you will miss much of the game if you do this.

In short, Baroque is a rewarding experience for a certain type of gamer. It will be a polarizing game. You will love it or, you will hate it. Personally, I love it, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, thus, my four star rating. But if you're a fan of Izuna, Shiren the Wanderer, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Nethack, Angbandn, ToME, ADoM, or if you enjoy Salvador Dali's art and David Lynch's films... I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Action Angels
Action Angels
DVD ~ Various
Price: CDN$ 32.67
13 used & new from CDN$ 20.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the movie?, April 2 2008
This review is from: Action Angels (DVD)
This film starts out a B-movie kung fu fan's dream, campy and fun. Problem is, the film proper is ten minutes long, if that. And most of the characters listed in the description are literally not part of the plot. They exist only to fill the rest of the running time with a truckload of interminable sequences involving latex-clad women gyrating in slow motion. This movie is the poster child for false advertising. At least the bit of movie that was there was great and rescues this film from 1-star hell.

Handel: Messiah (Complete)
Handel: Messiah (Complete)
Price: CDN$ 15.48
24 used & new from CDN$ 8.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, Nov. 8 2007
Beecham's take on the Messiah is more Mahler than Handel. If only it were merely boring! Thuggishly blasting his way through it without the slightest concern for good taste, Beecham's Messiah becomes a spectacle of the most ill-advised sort. The grotesquely self-indulgent and pompous tempi combined with the inappropriate and mawkish reorchestration make this recording a travesty such as I have not heard since the Sir Malcom Sargent Messiah. Only the incomparable Jon Vickers saves it from absolute ruin.

Bluntly put, the Beecham recording will only satisfy the musically uneducated.

I would thus implore anyone reading this review to purchase the McCreesh/Gabrieli Consort recording of the Messiah instead. Of the many recordings I have heard, it is unquestionably the best, achieving high drama without abandoning taste.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 - PlayStation 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 - PlayStation 2
10 used & new from CDN$ 38.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, Sept. 15 2007
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Few RPGs are able to hold my interest. I have little time for the endless, melodramatic cliche-fests that clutter up consoles. But since I dearly love a good RPG when I find one, I try as many as I can, in search of something to hold my interest. Yet nearly every role-playing game (including every single game in the Final Fantasy series) has been tried and set aside. What to do?

Enter Persona 3, which has sucked me in beyond anything I've played in 20 years. Here, your characters manifest their inner souls as creatures of legend, battling shadow monsters during the secret 25th hour of the day. It has streamlined yet deep battles. It has fascinating and clever character interaction where understanding each character's quirks and foibles is truly necessary (rarely have I felt emotions so strongly for fictional characters.) It has tons of customization, attractive graphics, and an intriguing, gripping, and well paced story.

I could go on, but rather than ramble, I will simply say that Persona 3 is something very special, and I highly encourage it to anyone with even the slightest interest in games.

The Schubert Song Transcriptions for Solo Piano/Series I: "Ave Maria," "Erlkonig" and Ten Other Great Songs
by Franz Liszt
Price: CDN$ 12.96
27 used & new from CDN$ 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent work by a great pianist, Oct. 15 2006
The greatest songs ever written arranged by the greatest pianist ever written. Liszt was an incredibly prolific arranger, and these songs show him in excellent form.

As there is a strongly negative review currently on file for this item, I feel I not only present my thoughts, but address the issues raised therein as I write my review, since I consider this book is an excellent product that should not be missed.

Disparaging shorthand for repeated notes is unfair, this notation technique is not unusual at all. A pianist competent enough to play music of this difficulty will have no difficulty deciphering the notation. The paper and binding quality of Dover publications is consistently above average, I myself own many Dover scores, including the Beethoven and Schubert Sonatas, Liszt Etudes and Opera transcriptions, Bach-Busoni transcriptions, Hadyn quartets, Art of the Fugue, St. Matthews Passion, among others.

The complaint about it looking like a camera may be an anomaly on that one copy, my copy of this book is fine. Dover does reprint previous editions whose copyright has expired in order to keep costs down and pass the savings onto the consumer, but the readibility has never been compromised in my experience.