Profile for Robert J. Salo > Reviews

Content by Robert J. Salo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Robert J. Salo (Anaheim Hills , Ca United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Going For The One (Rm)
Going For The One (Rm)
Price: CDN$ 19.89
20 used & new from CDN$ 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad they booted Moraz, March 22 2004
This review is from: Going For The One (Rm) (Audio CD)
Moraz was never integral to YES - he joined when Relayer was almost finished and added some touches. Yes couldn't stand him anymore while they were making this album. The gave him bus fare home and called Wakemen back. RICK, DONT EVER LEAVE AGAIN! It has taken me 25 years to fully appreciate this album. I saw YES in '77 (among other times) and I'll never forget Alan White playing the Tympani in "Turn of the Century" - I remember thinking that for the first time since being in that band for 5 years he finally made my list as "Worlds Greatest Drummer"-
"Onward" - took me years for this one-Jon Anderson is a very special person who walks, thinks and talks a little different than the rest of us. "Parallels" you gotta like right off - its an easy one to like-if you dont have this album-get it-and while your at it, get ALL the others too-you'll be glad you did.

V2 Keys To Ascension (Dlx Ed)
V2 Keys To Ascension (Dlx Ed)
Offered by langton_distribution
Price: CDN$ 16.66
4 used & new from CDN$ 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These guys are the best -Still, March 22 2004
This is the companion to "Keys" number 1 and you gotta have 'em both! If you plan on seeing YES during the upcoming 2004 spring tour, you better get this CD 'cause they are doing stuff from it! MIND DRIVE over to your CD store & pick this one up ASAP!

Yesshows (Remaster)
Yesshows (Remaster)
Price: CDN$ 32.67
33 used & new from CDN$ 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars OK OK OK I changed my mind!, March 22 2004
This review is from: Yesshows (Remaster) (Audio CD)
See my other review after I just got the CD- I wasn't really impressed - NOW after repeated listinings I love it all !!! My apologies to YES - The fact that this is a cheap CD makes it a bargain. And Jon Andersons little dialog between "Dont Kill The Whales" and "Ritual" is worth the price by itself. It is a "soul" show - and to those who say Steve Howe makes a mistake at the beginning of "Going for the One" check our Symphonic YES version of the same song, he does it the same way-its no mistake, just the way he does it!

Yes - Yesspeak: 35th Anniversary (2003) (2DVD)
Yes - Yesspeak: 35th Anniversary (2003) (2DVD)
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 6.36
8 used & new from CDN$ 5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Die ! Yes detractors!, March 22 2004
Bill Bruforg? Who is that? Oh right! He played with YES for a couple of years back in the late 60's and early 70's - GET OVER IT!!!! Alan White is THE Yes drummer and he's not leaving -Alan White is outstanding every time!!! He plays like a freight train - what has Bill Buford done for you lately? Even with old Yes tunes that Brufurd played on I always keep a bottle of Excederin close by. Alan White is a ROCK drummer and just what YES needed and still needs.
As far as this disc goes. It could have been another "in concert" video and there are pleny of those around. "Yessongs" " Symphonic Yes" "House of Blues" (...) Etc. etc. etc. Frankly I would be surprised if thats all they did was another one of those. Instead we get to see all the members at home in a home setting talking about themselves and the part they play in YES - and the history of the band in their own words. I knew more about Yes after watching this DVD than I did in the 35 years before and they are my favorite band. I have seen them in concert 15 times over the years and I feel that for the first time , I know something about THE GUYS IN MY FAVORITE BAND! if you can catch them on tour this spring-dont miss it! Either way, this DVD is a "gotta have"

Yes - Symphonic Live (2DVD)
Yes - Symphonic Live (2DVD)
Price: CDN$ 17.15
22 used & new from CDN$ 11.28

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW !!!!, March 22 2004
This review is from: Yes - Symphonic Live (2DVD) (DVD)
I wasn't sure about this one at first. A friend was going to loan me his copy and then when I asked again, he said he didn't really like it so he traded it off.
After watching it about half-way through I found myself laughing out loud in my living room.......THESE GUYS ARE GREAT, REALY GREAT, REALLY, REALLY GREAT! How could anyone not like this? This is great family fun. Steve Howe seemed a little out of sorts (and if I were him I would lose the glasses) But Chris Squire and Jon Anderson are steller throughout. It's Alan White though, that'll knock you out. if you are even a "mild" Yes fan this is a MUST SEE and also you need to catch their BIG tour this spring.

Yes - Keys To Ascension: Live 1996
Yes - Keys To Ascension: Live 1996
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 85.67
9 used & new from CDN$ 11.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on !! They are better now than then, March 22 2004
I have seen YES countless times over the years. this DVD is essential for any YES fan. I cant believe Rick Wakeman, he was never THIS good live. All of them really!!!! Alan White is the premier "rock" drummer today. He has no equal. Chris Squire, Steve Howe....its just amazing how good these guys are. Detractors say they are just going through the motions. Check out an 80's or 90's ELP video or something by Genesis if you want to see a band going through the motions......besides, even Siberia goes through the motions!

U.K. : U.K.
U.K. : U.K.
Price: CDN$ 61.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 43.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Ho hum - not anotha prog rock album, March 18 2004
This review is from: U.K. : U.K. (Audio CD)
I went into a frenzy over this album back in 197? when it came out - missed their concert and almost never got over it. Still love/listen to ELP, Crimson and YES. So after all these years I find UK available on CD and buy it immediatley. What a BORE - this is what gave PROG ROCK a bad name. Both Bruford AND Holdsworth have been into this same "intellectual" (?) rock/jazz b******t ever since. every time/key change becomes agonizingly painful and I found that I couldn't even listen to the whole thing one time all the way through- I will sell my copy to anyone who is interested - it is like brand new!

Lark's Tongues in Aspic: 30th Anniversary
Lark's Tongues in Aspic: 30th Anniversary
Price: CDN$ 37.65
8 used & new from CDN$ 26.97

5.0 out of 5 stars mind squasher, March 3 2004
I saw these guys open for ......I cant even remember now. They were the opening act and I assumed it would be the King Crimson everyone hated (the Islands band). they came on like a sonic blast at full volume.It seamed like one long song for an hour and a half! I couldn't hear myself THINK for a couple of days after! It was a week or so before I started to get a handle on what it was I had seen. That was back in '72 and this was the most adventurous stuff I could imagine. Yes had not done "Relayer" yet. ELP had not done "Brain Salad Surgery" yet. Genesis had not done "the Lamb" , even Mahavishnu was brand new. These guys really broke ground with this one. I remember seeing Crimson a couple of years later and at that time "Easy Money" would last 30 minutes and would get so loud in the middle , people would pass out from the volume- I'm not kidding.
Anyone that would read this much of a Kink Rimson review already has this album anyway!

Starless & Bible Black: 30th Anniversary
Starless & Bible Black: 30th Anniversary
Price: CDN$ 29.98
6 used & new from CDN$ 18.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Fracture - -, March 3 2004
Most of this stuff was recorded live and "The Great Deceiver" box set has ALL this stuff. But back to this album - when this came out I knew I could never come back, knew I'd never be the same.
And now , three bankruptcies, two divorces, 51 jobs and tens of thousands of dollars in mind altering vitamins later, I blame these guys for twisting my life into a pretzel. I still listen to this album. Most call it noise , but to those selected souls with minds blasted enough to hear the delicacies of a smashed viloin held together with duck tape running through 400 watts of Marshall stacks turned up to 11, well there's nothing more sublime--------------&^$%^

Red: 30th Anniversary Editions
Red: 30th Anniversary Editions
Price: CDN$ 41.71
8 used & new from CDN$ 29.93

5.0 out of 5 stars "safe and sound" ...................NOT!!!!!!!, March 3 2004
This is killer Crimson - I saw the tour from this album and its the only time I have attended a concert at a large hall where people were yelling "turn it down!" Robert Fripp would simply take his hand off the guitar strings and the amplifiers would explode into distorted feedback. This is stuff to melt minds with-
Sadly, it was their last real album - and the KC that followed into he eighties is somewhat of a joke - I tried to like them but its no use, not when you've already been HERE.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4