Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Diane Warners Complete Book Baby Showers
Diane Warners Complete Book Baby Showers
by Diane Warner
Price: CDN$ 13.83
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Spend the [money] on mom-to-be, not on this book!, June 12 2002
This book has a few useful suggestions for shower themes, but is otherwise useless. The games are all pretty stupid and sound boring. I'd be embarassed to ask my guests to play them. Even many of themes are pretty bad (although there are a few good suggestions). As an example, Warner suggests a theme where you ask all the guests (including the men) to come pretending they are pregnant (i.e. with pillows stuffed under their shirts). If I were the mom-to-be, I'd probably turn right around and leave the party when I saw that. Late pregnancy is unpleasant enough without being made fun of for it. The recipes section is even worse. Most of the foods sound remarkably unappealing. To top it off, the beverages section is packed with recipes for alcoholic drinks. Maybe it's me, but I can't imagine anything dumber than making a champagne punch the centerpiece of your buffet...remember, mom-to-be (the guest of honor) can't drink! Especially if she would otherwise it, it seems terribly thoughtless and inconsiderate to serve alcohol. The only value I derived from this book is some very clear ideas about what not to do. It happens, that all of the things I learned not to do were a) things the book suggested doing, and b) things it would never have occurred to me to do anyway. Take the [money] you were going to spend on this book and buy something for the baby.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1
by Julia Child
Price: CDN$ 23.20
15 used & new from CDN$ 23.20

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any serious home cook., Aug. 17 2001
Every serious home cook should have a good collection of Julia Child's recipes in the kitchen. Although many of the recipes are elaborate and time consuming, they are all clearly explained and easy to follow. I have never had a Julia Child recipe fail. I refer to this book constantly for basics such as pie crust. It is also my first line of defense for company meals.

Q's Legacy
Q's Legacy
by Helene Hanff
Price: CDN$ 11.91
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite!, Aug. 10 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Q's Legacy (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down! I read it straight through in one sitting. I didn't even put it down when I went to the kitchen for a drink, etc. Unlike most autobiographies, this one is written out of a love of writing rather than out of love of self. If you have read "84, Charing Cross Road" you will immediately recognize Hanff's touch in this book. "Q's Legacy" reads very much like one of Hanff's letters to her friends at the bookshop. It's almost as if she's come out of the pages and is there at your side telling you her story.
If you haven't read "84, Charing Cross Road" I suggest you read it first. It will make "Q's Legacy" seem more relevant.
Overall, this is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I know it will become an oft-read favorite.

Dreaming in Smoke
Dreaming in Smoke
by Tricia Sullivan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, Aug. 10 2001
This book was basically enjoyable and original enough to be interesting. The writing was not outstanding, but was not bad enough to reduce my enjoyment of the book. Unfortunately, the story sort of fell apart towards the end. It got difficult to follow and went on too long. After reaching a point that would have made a great ending, Sullivan opted instead to continue the story for another 20-30 pages. The result was an anti-climactic and disappointing end to an otherwise pretty good novel.

Total Body Stretch for Beginne
Total Body Stretch for Beginne

2.0 out of 5 stars Stretches that don't stretch..., Aug. 10 2001
This video contains three 10-minutes stretch routines, one standing, one sitting on a chair and one on the floor. The standing routine is a pretty basic set of stretches. They do the job. I found that except for the stretches (such as triceps) that are the same in all three, the sitting and floor stretches were useless. I am not especially flexible but even so I did not feel a stretch on most of the moves. I suppose the tape might work if you have very limited range-of-motion or have done no physical activity at all in a very long time. Overall, this tape is a waste of time and money.

Jane Fonda's Step and Stretch Workout [VHS]
Jane Fonda's Step and Stretch Workout [VHS]
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 24.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, Aug. 10 2001
I am thoroughly enjoying this workout tape. The instructors are clear and the steps are easy to master, but not boring. The 45 minute step workout is terrific. The instructors are good about offering alternatives to help vary the intensity, but I find the intensity following all the basic moves with arms to be ideal. Jane Fonda leads the 20 minute stretch routine at the end. The stretches feel great after the step workout. I have some problems with my joints, but none of the stretches that are included cause me any problems.

Software Requirements
Software Requirements
by Karl E. Wiegers
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can't read them all, read this one!, Aug. 1 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Software Requirements (Paperback)
Whether you are a customer, project manager or member of a project team, you can't go wrong with this book on software requirements. If you are only going to read one book on software requirements this is about as good as it gets. Wiegers writes in an eminently readable style. He doesn't claim that any one way is right for everyone. Instead he provides a variety of tips and techniques you can choose from at will to help you communicate with your customer (or vendor), document your requirements, and track and manage them. Most of his ideas are quick and simple to implement and should show distinct benefits almost immediately. This book is one I go back to time and again when working on process development and improvement for my organization. Read it!

Sailing to Sarantium (Sarantine Mosaic, Book 1)
Sailing to Sarantium (Sarantine Mosaic, Book 1)
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and (dare I say it) educational, June 25 2001
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is different enough from typical fantasy to be interesting and memorable, although it doesn't lose the magical flavor of fantasy. I love that the book is firmly rooted in real history without actually being an alternative-history style novel. Kay uses his knowledge of Byzantine history to weave an elaborate but believable tale (and, incidentally to teach us all a little cultural history as he goes).

Taste: One Palate's Journey Through the World's Greatest Dishes
Taste: One Palate's Journey Through the World's Greatest Dishes
by David Rosengarten
26 used & new from CDN$ 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy recipes and lots of info!, June 25 2001
I have absolutely loved everything I have tried from this cookbook. It is also fun and enjoyable to read. The reason I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 is that many of the recipes are quite complex. Once I started experimenting, I discovered that it is often possible to simplify the recipes without losing anything. For example, the stir-fried shrimp recipe calls for deep-frying the shrimp first, which is a hassle. I had wonderful results just stir-frying them. To give him credit, Rosengarten carefully explains the reasons for each unusual step. While I chose not to follow his instructions precisely, I did learn a good deal from reading his explanations. This is a great book for anyone who is confident in the kitchen. It can also be very educational for someone just learning to cook, but beginners may find the recipes dauntingly complex.

Penguin Classics Three Men In A Boat And Three Men On The Bummel
Penguin Classics Three Men In A Boat And Three Men On The Bummel
by Jerome K Jerome
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly dull, May 15 2001
I read this book because it was referred to repeatedly in "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis which I thoroughly enjoyed. Unfortunately, I can't see what she liked about it. In fact, I was so bored I couldn't get through the second book, and I rarely fail to finish a book. There is no real story, and the episodes which are supposed to be amusing just aren't. Unless you are really passionate about unimportant victorian literature, don't waste your time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3