Profile for Oymaprat > Reviews

Content by Oymaprat

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Oymaprat (Nowhere In Particular)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
by Adams
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty titles were never my strong point, July 15 2004
First of all I would like to say that I'm not the sort of person who needs everything to make sense to enjoy something (I'm a Doctor Who fan for Christs sake!) so that is something that helps me love this book.
Mr Adams was (and boy do I hate saying was) a master craftsman. He could be intelligent, witty and plain wierd at the same time and still have room for a bit of sentimentality.
I'm pretty confident that if you're reading this then you have enjoyed another of Mr Adams works. In which case I'm sure that you will delight in reading this as it is in the same style as many of his other books. It is fair to compare it to the Hitchhiker series as it is done in much the same vain. In my opinion it is as good as the aforementioned. Yes so the ending doesn't totally fit everyones perspective of great, but it suits me. It's full of lots of ideas that didn't neccessarily works out, but for me that is just as great; trying to work out what Mr Adams had as alternate plots. Even though the title charactor doesn't turn up till a good half way in, his soon to be friend, Richard Macduff does a good enough job of entertaining us. One to one, I strongly reccomend this to any other Adams fan, and for that matter any other fan of literature. It is truely great, as is its sequal.

Get Rich Or Die Tryin (Dlx Ltd
Get Rich Or Die Tryin (Dlx Ltd
Price: CDN$ 22.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 4.59

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm Pickled For Sure!, July 12 2004
Ha ha ha!!! They call this music!. Mozart would turn in his grave to hear that this is what it has come to. WHERE'S THE DEPTH???
Ok, I'm just writting this to be hated by all you 'hip' people,(blinging, init, youknowwhatImean) but I'm really enjoying myself. If you want music I advise you go and by Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull or something even remotely decent. How has music come to this. Pre-programmed instuments, 50 Cent swearing at every possible oppertunity and bland songs. I pity you poor fools for liking this!
I'm in for it now...

Price: CDN$ 140.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 34.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Wonderful, July 11 2004
This review is from: War of the Worlds (Audio CD)
I am still only 15, but I heard this when I was nine, and thought it was the best thing since chocolate. It introduced me to many, many other albums and bands. I owe it all to Jeff Wayne, and also to Rick Wakeman as I soon after heard his Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
This is a very powerful album in many respects, not only for it's famous narration by Richard Burton and its even more famous DUM DUM DUMMM, DUM DUM DUMMM, you get the picture. (I hope!) I truly believe that anyone who likes any form of music from the 70's will like this. I wont pretend that todays younger generation will appreciate it as the masterpiece it is, but all the rest of us should proudly own a copy of 'JEFF WAYNES MUSICAL VERSION OF THE WAR OF THE WORLDS.' It's a true classic, up their with Mozart and Haydn, well done Jeff! H.G. Wells would be proud.

Price: CDN$ 140.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 34.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Oops, July 11 2004
This review is from: War of the Worlds (Audio CD)
Sorry about this. They should make all the buttons more clear! Ok so it's my falt...

Rick Wakeman & The New English Rock Ensemble - Out There (2002)
Rick Wakeman & The New English Rock Ensemble - Out There (2002)
DVD ~ Rick Wakeman
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 8.64
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good etc etc etc BUT, July 10 2004
Firstly, the music on this one is great, I really like it. BUT I was a little dissapointed with the concept MOVIE part of it. Partly because when buying it I was not all that sure as to whether this was a live show or the concept movie it turned out to be. So, I don't know what I thought a concept movie was, but I didn't think it would be like this.
If you like the sound of listening to the Out There album with picures of spaceships and alien landscapes going on in the background then I'm sure this is for you. Only, re-reading that it doesn't sound to bad. I'll tell you the sort of thing that happens. One songs visuals consist of a lot of odd machines (possibly pumps) just, sort of doing their thing on a plain boring landscape. I'm sorry but for me it just isn't worth the money. Just buy the CD is my advise.
The only redeeming factor is the extra, a documentary of behind the scenes at the tour, and some interviews with Mr Wakeman. Even then, I'm sure they could have fitted some more extras on, perhaps one of the songs live, oh well. So to sum it all up- if you like the sound of the above get it, if not, steer clear. There are better Wakeman DVD's out their. Just do Quicksearch DVD - Rick Wakeman and you'll have a good few to choose from.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (2CD)
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (2CD)
Price: CDN$ 25.93
15 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeff fell down the hole, screaming simultaneously..., July 7 2004
I have been doing reviews for quite a time now but have only just plucked up the courage to do a genesis review. I suppose I've been putting it off because they are such a complex band that there is so much to talk about. Well here it goes... and by the way, don't be put off by the seemingly negative beggining.
I have always felt that to say that both Lamb lies Down and Pawn Heart by Van Der Graaf Generator are in the same catagory of music is a little odd. Both termed as prog (progressive) rock they sound as different from each other as Chuck Berry does from 50 Cent. I feel that prog should sound raw and, well, weird. But this doesn't. It almost sounds like a musical in places. There are several pop rock tracks, Counting Out Time and Lily White Lylith being two of them. This sounds like a really polished epic... and it is.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not writting this to say Genesis lost their way. Far from it. This is a great, stunning album, the last good one they'd make. I'm writting this to tell you that this isn't Foxtrot, Trespass Selling England by the Pound etc. This is a tight, all action album full of great, mostly under five minute, songs. It still has the Genesis sound of before and if you like their work prior to this you will enjoy this album.
Now then, I'll just talk of the epic part without explaining it, thus ruining the first time experiance for you guys as other reviews have done. In fact there is no one story within this album. It can be interprated as a face value story, or as whatever you want it to be. It is about a guy apparently called Rael who, one way or another is lost. That is all I shall say, although I'm sure that by the song titles you should be able to guess that a lot weird things happen.
To sum up, if you have enjoyed Genesis albums up until this, those being From Genesis to Revelation (almost a Cat Stevens album) Tresspass (beggining to get that Genesis sound, but Mr Stevens is still prodominent) Nursery Crime (an odd almost post-Lamb Lies Down sounding album) Foxtrot (there's that sound) and Selling England by the Pound (when they are, in my opinion, on top form) I recommend all of these by the way. If you enjoy albums after this, I think you will find this to be far superior as Peter Gabriel made Genesis. When he left they just did a few empty prog albums before turning rock pop. All the same you should enjoy this whether this is a first Genesis buy or your last.
I hope I've given valid advice.
Toodle Pipskie (is that how you spell it?)

The War Of The Worlds (1978 Studio Cast)
The War Of The Worlds (1978 Studio Cast)
Price: CDN$ 38.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 26.05

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC, July 6 2004

Tain
Tain
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 37.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 16.33

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Got To Think Of A Catchy Title To Grab Attention, July 5 2004
This review is from: Tain (Audio CD)
I'll keep it short. The horslips made a beautiful fusion of Irish Folk and Rock on their albums and this is perhaps the best example. This is a truly wonderful album depicting the Irish Myth of the Tain (short title) and does a great job. It's rawness really brings across the images of bloody battles etc. If you are looking to buy other horslips albums you are best off buying the middle ones (Tain, Book of Invasions, Dancehall Sweethearts etc and working your way out. Their first album being very Irish, their latter ones being Pop Rocky with an Irish twist.
So to sum up, for a first Horslips buy get this and see what you think. Give it several listens and see if it grows on you. If you already have another horslips album and like it you are almost certain to enjoy this as it is the perfect blend of both Irsh Folk and Rock.
I hope I have been of service...

A (Bonus Dvd)
A (Bonus Dvd)
Price: CDN$ 30.37
13 used & new from CDN$ 25.81

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD 'A' Saviour, July 1 2004
This review is from: A (Bonus Dvd) (Audio CD)
I was harsh on this album in another review on www.amazon.co.uk and I apologise. I said it was my least favourite Tull album... and that is true. I still think of this as ok, but it is a higher ok. The first ok being a one star, this one being a three. It was initially intended as an Ian Anderson solo album but all the tull members were dragged in and it was released under the name Jethro Tull.
For me this album stands out in my Tull collection. Firstly because it is there only album that has near to no folk influences. Perhaps this was because of what it started out as? I don't know... really I don't.
Another interesting thing about this album (or perhaps the first interesting, I don't know that either) is that it features Eddie Jobson as 'special guest.' Now, as much as I admire hit talents (he's very talented) I can't help but resent him for taking the jolly John Evan's place in the band. This is also true for drummer Barrie Barlow. Their presence's are greatly missed, no mre so is this evident than on the DVD.
The DVD makes this my best album buy full stop.. (I put two in so that you get the point) It is Slipstream the part concert part music vidio extravaganza that was released at the time of A. I wont go on but a Tull fan should not pass up this buy. You will love it. For someone interested in Tull, due to the DVD I suggest you also buy this as it contains songs past and present.
I hope I have given valid advice.
Toodle Pipskie. (Is that how you spell it?)

Return To The Centre Of The Ea
Return To The Centre Of The Ea
Price: CDN$ 28.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 11.25

4.0 out of 5 stars I Found A Turnip The Other Day..., June 23 2004
Ok so that was there just to grab your attention.
I can completly see where some reviewers are coming from in disliking this. It does sound a 'forced' epic by Rick's hand but I find it great none-the-less. It is very epic and... I fear to say... almost sounds like Christian Rock in places. All the same, I think this is worth getting if you're a Wakeman fan, but if you have a long list of 'to gets,' put this near the bottom. It is poorer than the original granted, but to me it is a very exceptable sequal. Give it a few listens and see what you think...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3