ARRAY(0xb8e00a80)

Profile for Nicholas May > Reviews

Content by Nicholas May

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Nicholas May "Author of Maze of the Blue Rose" (Grand Rapids, Mi USA)

Faerie Tale
Faerie Tale
by Raymond Feist
26 used & new from CDN$ 2.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Widdershins, Widdershins, round we go!, July 2 2004
This review is from: Faerie Tale (Hardcover)
Now I must admit, I nearly put the book back on the shelf after seeing the cover. Im glad nothing else caught my interest at the library that day.
I have had no feelings on Faeries, good or bad. Outside of Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, my interest in them is very limited. However, after reading this book, I have begun researching the folklore attached to them. To me, a book that makes me do this is a good one. I want to know more, as Feist has inspired a new interest in my life. I am a horror fan, never fantasy, but nothing is scarier than the beliefs of those before us, who lived in a time when everything was magic. Feist brings that magic back.

Summer of Night
Summer of Night
by Dan Simmons
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars First book that ever scared me!, June 9 2004
I have just about every King, Koontz, Saul, Rice, Lumley, McCammon, and Barker book ever written. Ive also written a story or two of my own. This is the first story that ever scared me. Never before have I had to make sure none of my limbs were hanging over the edge of the bed while reading. There is one scene in particular, involving a blown fuse in a flooded basement, that had me completely creeped out.
When I read the jacket cover, I thought "I take it this guy read IT by Stephen King!". The description on the jacket cover is where the comparisons end. Similar ideas, but completely different paths. This is a great book, plain and simple.

The Talisman: A Novel
The Talisman: A Novel
by Stephen King
28 used & new from CDN$ 3.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest book ever., Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: The Talisman: A Novel (Hardcover)
I bought this book at a used bookstore years ago after discovering that I loved Stephen King's books. I put it on my shelf with other books I meant to read, but it was a year before I picked it up again. Finally I did, read a couple chapters... then I put it back down. I couldn't get into it.
A month and a couple books later, I decided to give it one more shot. So I started from the beginning, but still just wasn't in to it and had reached my previous stopping point. I had made a vow that I would push on though, and it wasn't 5 minutes after I read on that I was literally in a whole new world. King and Straub showed Jack Sawyer a new world, and they took me along as well. I could smell the bread baking at the pavilion, I was best friends with Jack's new friend Wolf, I was running in horror from the Elroy-Thing in the Men's Room of the Oatley Tap. I was IN that world.
I've owned and read countless books, but The Talisman has always remained my all-time favorite. I have read it about 6 times, and each time I am whisked back to that world that I love and fear so much.

Shadowland
Shadowland
by Peter Straub
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The first rule of Magic, Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: Shadowland (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book after reading The Talisman, which Straub cowrote with Stephen King, and I loved it. While there were times that it felt (only slightly) disjointed, there was nothing to take away from my enjoyment of the story, and the characters.
While I was rooting for different outcomes, and different paths for certain characters, Im extremely pleased with where Straub took them. I definitely enjoyed the stories Coleman Collins told (The King of the Cats in particular), but the grande illusions he cast could have been defined a bit better for my taste. Either way, it was a fantastic book that made me late for work on more than one occasion, as I could not put it down.