Profile for Lincoln-63542 > Reviews

Content by Lincoln-63542

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lincoln-63542 (Raleigh, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Cooking Of The Eastern Mediterranean
The Cooking Of The Eastern Mediterranean
by Paula Wolfert
Price: CDN$ 33.08
28 used & new from CDN$ 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The One Book I was looking for!!!, April 17 2004
The person who bitterly wrote that this book has "millions of kibbeh recipes..." actually did a favor to me. His or her derogatory statement triggered my purchase: I finally found the book I was looking for!!
This book made it to the list of winners of Julia Child's Awards, and it is by far the best guide to prepare dishes like Kibbeh or kibbi I have found. Kibbeh is the national dish of Lebanon and a staple of Middle Eastern Cuisine. A really nice treat to all!
My kibbehs turned out GREAT for the first time!!! My frustration is over!! The "exotic" spices can be purchased online, just like the book. Not a big deal to me.

Chopin: Sonata in B flat minor; Berceuse; Ballade No. 4 in F minor
Chopin: Sonata in B flat minor; Berceuse; Ballade No. 4 in F minor
Price: CDN$ 13.42
9 used & new from CDN$ 7.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Recomended to me and now I recommend it to you all !!!, June 17 2003
I will make it very simple to digest:
Sound Quality, Performance, Selection, Price: 10 out of 10.
I was so impressed with this album that I decided to write about it for you to enjoy it as well. Even the content selection is a piece of art in itself. The production of this compact is very well done. It sets the "magic" that goes from the Sonata in B flat minor to Berceuse, and from Berceuse to the Ballade, the lingering mazurkas, and, finally, the crown of this outstanding production and performance: The Fantasie in F minor.
This album is a piece of art in every way...! It's not only Moravec, who is way up there in inspiration and impecable performance. I'm talking about the team that put these pieces together -like jewels- without overwhelming each other, but supporting each other, articulating a mood that is consistent without falling in monotony. And, yes, it will mesmerize your senses as it did with mine. And yes, it will let you craving for more, and you will do what I did: play it again, and again. If you need to grab a defect on this album, THIS IS IT!
This is the kind of album that will set the mood for intimacy...
Very moving, very touching. Ideal companion to a good wine or a moment of inner expansion.

Confused Photographer's Guide to Photographic Exposure and the Simplified Zone System
by Bahman Farzad
11 used & new from CDN$ 25.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had this book before I bought my photo gear!!, Sept. 3 2000
If you are just getting into Photography as a hobby and haven't bought your gear yet, buy this book. It will save you hundreds (literally!) of dollars. If you want to burn films to collect satisfactions rather than headaches, frustrations and unnecessary expenses in film and film developing, this is the book for you.
It will take you step by step in a familiar language (not that techno jargon to confuse readers and impress people like you and I, without a degree in Photography, and, in a logical and simple manner will get you into the basic and most proven techniques to achieve decent pictures. It will show you what you need to know about your camera and about light, films, exposure and about the camera features you need to be looking for to do the job just right. Once you've learned what he wants you to learn and practice, then you'll be in a comfortable position to be more creative and be on your own to do your best in this beautiful hobby.
I highly recommend this book, and I do it with the same pleasure and enthusiasm as the other reviewers. They have made a great job in pointing out how good it was for them and what it can do for you as a novice shutterbug.

V12 Middle Qrts  Beethoven Edi
V12 Middle Qrts Beethoven Edi
Price: CDN$ 36.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 31.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!!, Sept. 3 2000
The Middle Quartets resemble a product of Beethoven's second period. A period of departure from the Haydn + Mozart influences with compositions such as Fidelio and the symphony in E flat, "Eroica". Also, from this period is the misterious sonata "Hammerklavier", although someone would argue that "Hammerklavier" was the first product of the third period.
The first three Strings Quartets here are the very famous "Razumowsky Quartets", named after Count Andreas Razowmovsky -the Russian Embassador to Vienna-. They are here complete, in a special edition issued by Deutsche Grammophon in celebration of Beethoven's 100th. anniversary. Useless to say, DG is using here everything they could possibly do to get a product with an outstanding sound and presence and performance. To me, the sound from the media is as important as the rendition itself of the musicians. After all, this is not a Live Presentation you are attenting to.
The "Razumovsky" Quartets were followed a few years later by Opus 74, also called "The Harp" and a year later or so, Opus 95. They are both here included. Pretty good job by DG and a Great Performance by the Emerson Quartet!
The Emerson String Quartet is a premier ensemble of the United States, in particular, and the world of music and humanity in general, since they have championed many noble and humanitarian causes in addition of their immaculate performances. In this Double CD, the have given their heart and made one of their most outstanding performances according to the Critics.
In summary: This CD is historically and melodically very important: The Razumowsky Quartets represent a major shift in Beethoven's musical direction. Secondly, the sound of the CD is just wonderful, absolutely beautiful!, and finally, but not less importantly, the rendition of the Emerson String Quartet is just incomparable. To my opinion, this is a "Must Have" Compac Disc, where the 100th anniversary of this towering genious is celebrated generously and without any reserve. You will love this CD!!!!

KODAK Guide To 35MM Photography
KODAK Guide To 35MM Photography
by Eastman Kodak Company
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right book for me!, Sept. 2 2000
First off, I bought this book after reading the review written by Mr. John H. Henderson, from Melbourne, Fl.
I was exactly in the same situation he described about his friend. I gave it a try and I was not dissapointed. The book is just right for me as a beginner looking for the most appropriate foundation in Photography before becoming a more serious shutterbug.
I needed to take good pics and avoid the Auto-Exposure traps and its unpredictable results. I wanted to have control over what I want from my camera and avoid my 35mm camera to end its life in the darkest corner of my room and replaced by a Point and Shoot. I bought this book to avoid that. Now I'm not afraid when pulling out my camera to shoot. The camera is now my allied, not my Pandora's box, and "Burning films" NOW makes sense to me.
Shooting is now giving me satisfactions, not blurring frustations. This book will jump start yourself in photography. It will do for you the same it did for me.
It is written in a "digestible" language, with a very practical approach. It is simple, well organized, generously illustrated and quite straight-forward. It will teach you how to get the pics you want, as a beginner, and it will set grounds for you to grow further in your hobby.
Even though this book is not intended for the "Pros" and the Amateurs of the world, trust me, they probably have it always handy to brush up! . A word of caution: buy it before it goes out of print ! Good stuff doesn't last too long. Thank you, Mr. Henderson, for your advise about this book!

Integrale Des 6 Qnts A Cordes
Integrale Des 6 Qnts A Cordes
4 used & new from CDN$ 46.62

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem!!, Aug. 26 2000
This set of 3 CD's is absolutely an authentic gem. The sound is georgeous!! So amazingly good that you'd think you have the Talich Quartet right in your room LIVE and just playing for you!! The performance of the Quartet is impressive, conveying the musical messages from Mozart in a warm, charming and invigorating way. I just can't stop listening these pieces!! I don't get tired of them!! I have never get bored with them.
If I were to live with only three CD's in my collection of Classical Music, this set would be one of them. No doubt about it!!
If you like Chamber Music, you like Mozart and if you consider yourself to be an audiophile or demand the best sound possible for what you pay for, and if you care for only top notch performers executing to the highest standards of quality, discipline and sensitive mastery, then this CD is for you.

Tchaikovsky: Concerto No. 1/Rachmaninoff: Concerto No. 2
Tchaikovsky: Concerto No. 1/Rachmaninoff: Concerto No. 2
Price: CDN$ 8.68
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding rendition!!, Aug. 26 2000
I prefer Barry Douglas' rendition of the piano concerto in B flat with the majestic support of the London Symphony lead by Leonard Slatkin. I also prefer Sviatoslav Richter's at the piano with Stanislaw Wiskock as a conductor. They have won my 5 stars, but there is no doubt in my mind that Van Cliburn did an outstanding job as one of the few top performers of this Concerto. The sound of the orchestra is acceptable as it is in the impecable playing of Vladimir Ashkenazy with Lorin Maazel and Gary Graffman's with Szell as a conductor, all of them outstanding performances and very dear to me. Any of the above will give you a lot of listening pleasure. For the Rachmaninov's No.2, the performance of the pianist is equally good, though I still don't understand why the orchestra did not live to Reiner's standards. This does not mean it is a bad one, though. It just make it acceptable.
I have this CD, I have listened to it many times and I recommend it without reserve as much as any of the Pianists/Orchestras mentioned in this review: they all perspirate the passionate drama Tchaikovsky wanted to instil in this Opus and won't let you down after in your listening pleasure.

Price: CDN$ 22.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 2.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this CD!, July 7 2000
This review is from: Vln Cto (Audio CD)
The sound is extremely poor. Perlman himself would hate this production for its lack of sound engineering and its lousy quality control. EMI Disgraced this particular performance. If you want to hear Brahm's Violin Concerto try Anne-Marie Mutter with DG, Yehudi Menuhim with Seraphim, or look for Isaac Stern's. If you love Perlman's performances, then go for it with Barenboim (under our infamous label EMI, but with good sound). And do yourself a favor: DON'T BUY THIS CD!

Price: CDN$ 22.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 2.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this CD!, July 7 2000
This review is from: Vln Cto (Audio CD)

Velazquez Spanish/English Dictionary
Velazquez Spanish/English Dictionary
by Winchester
7 used & new from CDN$ 17.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put: The very best ever / Simplemente el mejor !, July 7 2000
The New Velazquez Spanish and English Dictionary is the best bilingual dictionary I've ever used. It's richness, in depth presentation of nouns, adjectives and verbs, its selection of examples, local and common expresions, pronunciation, presentation and format, etc., they all make this dictionary to standout by itself among the rest. I strongly recommend it to anyone for business, college or home. This is a Mr. Bilingual Dictionary! The price at Amazon.com is fair. The value of the book its unlimited. Really a piece of jewelry! Lincoln Mejia Raleigh, NC. --------------------------------------
Este diccionario, renovado y puesto al dia por Mariano Velazquez de la Cadena, quien fuera Profesor de Español en la Universidad de Columbia, es, a mi juicio, la obra mas sobresaliente en su categoria. Este es un diccionario sin par, con una increible y acertada riqueza de vocabulario contenida en una encuadernacion esmerada y cuidadosa. La calidad de sus paginas es excelente, y el hecho de ser el mas exhaustivo y avanzado trabajo de referencia que hasta nuestros dias yo haya visto, todo esto en conjunto, hacen de esta obra de referencia bilingue una obra fundamental y un verdadero clasico. Por lo demas, su precio es bastante razonable. Le invito a que lo compre y lleve a su casa, a su oficina, a cualquier sitio en que se vea precisado a buscar una palabra o una frase que la ejemplifique. No se arrepentira. Se lo aseguro!

Page: 1 | 2