Profile for Bryce David > Reviews

Content by Bryce David

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bryce David (Cyberspace)

Page: 1 | 2
Tranquil Moods: Serenity
Tranquil Moods: Serenity
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 26.95
2 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!!, May 15 2004
One day I decided to buy the CD of "Tranquil Moods: Serenity" after I realized my audio cassette was getting old. I typed in "Tranquil Moods Serenity" in the search box and it sent me directly to this page. I automatically noticed that the three tracks listed on this page were identical to the three tracks on my audio cassette. I listened to the samples and the music was the same. So I decided to buy a CD from one of the sellers at the Amazon Marketplace. Well, when I got the CD, it was "Tranquil Moods: SEA OF SERENITY," not "Tranquil Moods: SERENITY."
So take note: The samples on this page are for "Tranquil Moods: SERENITY," not "Tranquil Moods: SEA OF SERENITY". even though the UPC code and such are probably still those for "Tranquil Moods: SEA OF SERENITY".
Anyway, the information on this page is incorrect in some ways so be careful which CD you're thinking of buying. Maybe Amazon will correct it eventually but for now, there could be some problems ordering the right CD from this page.
As for the albums themselves, well, "Tranquil Moods: SERENITY" rates FIVE big stars. It's great relaxing music. But as for the music on the wrong CD I received, "Tranquil Moods: SEA OF SERENITY," is pretty much terrible and rates one little star.

Stone
Stone
Offered by CAMusicFiendz
Price: CDN$ 8.50
10 used & new from CDN$ 1.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music!, May 4 2004
This review is from: Stone (Audio CD)
It's sad to see that I'm the first person to review this Crash Vegas album. It's their best. Melancholic songs, that range from Country-style to straight out Rock & Roll, with amazing lyrics. I love all the songs on it. The only weak track is "1800 Days" but even that song is memorable.
My favorite songs are 1 - Stone (amazing lyrics!) 2 - September Morning 3 - Please Don't Ask Me.
Why, oh why did the group implode? They had success and suddenly decided to go against it. I don't know who pissed off Michelle McAdorey but Crash Vegas was never a manufactured band. Their music sounds better today than they did ten years ago because nothing has surpassed it.
Anyway, great music, beautiful lyrics, moving vocals by Michelle make Crash Vegas' Stone one of the best albums ever!

Zombie  [Import]
Zombie [Import]
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 27.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the VHS version from Anchor Bay, April 2 2004
This review is from: Zombie [Import] (VHS Tape)
The case with ZOMBIE is one of the few where the VHS version is much better than the DVD version.
I bought the Anchor Bay DVD of ZOMBIE a couple of years ago and I was shocked by the really bad quality of the transfer. In some scenes, the film was unwatchable. I was really disappointed because it cost me something like $30 when I bought it. Dismayed by the terrible transfer which I would never want to watch again, I quickly sold the DVD to a reseller. I already had the Wizard Video, which is full-framed and full of scratches. But even that version is better than the Anchor Bay DVD.
But now I finally bought the Anchor Bay VHS version (with widescreen and all the trailers) and this is the one to buy. I quickly checked it and there's very little image shifting, if any. And there's no annoying "x-ray" effect in black areas like on the DVD edition. And the image is pretty sharp too, compared to the Wizard Video edition. So I give 4 big stars to the VHS AB collector's edition.
If your a fan of this great horror flick, make sure to get the Anchor Bay VHS version ONLY. It will do until someone re-releases it in a good transfer on DVD, which ain't about to happen anytime soon.

Urban Hymns (W/1 Bonus Track)
Urban Hymns (W/1 Bonus Track)
Price: CDN$ 11.59
98 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Man is the best song ever!, Feb. 28 2004
The Verve's Urban Hymns is a great CD with an amazing collection of great songs, like Bittersweet Symphony and Sonnet. But the best song, or my favorite song, is certainly Lucky Man. It encaspsulates everything about life in one amazing song. This is a must have CD!

The Mothman Prophecies (Special Edition, 2 discs) (Bilingual)
The Mothman Prophecies (Special Edition, 2 discs) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Richard Gere
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 57.26
5 used & new from CDN$ 29.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning. Amazing soundscape. Great film!!!, Jan. 15 2004
I have to chime in and say to the whole world how overlooked and underrated THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES is. I won't go into the merits of the story according to what happened in Point Pleasant in the 1960s and the director's idea of setting the story today instead of the 1960s, and what the movie is versus the book it's based on.
What I'll say is what a TOTAL knockout THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES is, visually and aurally. I've watched this movie several times now and it gets better with each subsequent viewing. This film is totally brilliant. The cinematographer, editor and the sound effects folks have really created something amazing. I love watching THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES just for the overall look and sound, thanks mainly to the super sharp image on the DVD, which is breathtaking, and the incredible intricate soundscape heard throughout the movie. This is one of the best looking films I've ever seen. And the music score (by Tomandandy) and the sound effects are really effective.
Gere, Laura Linney and Will Patton all give credible and powerful performances. And Mark Pellington's direction is laser sharp, understated and smart. The overall creepy feeling this movie creates is golden, for those who prefer to be creeped out rather than hit on the head with sledgehammer-style scare tactics.

X2: X-Men United (Widescreen Edition) (Bilingual)
X2: X-Men United (Widescreen Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Patrick Stewart
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 34.21
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The image on the DVD is dark!, Jan. 13 2004
I won't really review X2 the movie itself (after 430 reviews already posted here). Needless to say, I preferred this one over the first movie. The thing I'm gonna review is the DVD, which few people here have reviewed. I thought the DVD was pretty dark. I didn't see X2 on the big screen so I can't tell you how the DVD compares to it but I watched X2 on two DVD players and the image quality looked the same on both machines. The shadows and blacks were *really* black, which made it difficult to see any details. I know it's stylised and all but it got on my nerves after a while. I feel like I missed half of the movie. To make a comparison, on the excellent extras disk, the image quality of the second trailer (trailer B, I believe) is clear and sharp, which made me wonder why the movie itself wasn't like that. Oh well...X2 is good solid entertainment but make sure to put the brightness level of your TV set to 100%!

Karma
Karma
Price: CDN$ 10.17
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant CD!!!, Jan. 8 2004
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
I bought this CD when it was first released back in 1997. I bought it on the strength of DELERIUM's previous albums and I have to say that KARMA is excellent from beginning to end. The only track I don't listen much is the one that everyone knows: SILENCE. It's good but I don't think Sarah's voice works with DELERIUM. Aside from this minor criticism, I love EVERY track on this CD. It's brilliantly conceived, with an equal number of vocal and instrumental tracks. The latest DELERIUM CD, CHIMERA, is almost all (cheesy) vocals and it's doesn't work at all. There's nothing on CHIMERA that even comes close to something like "Euphoria (firefly)" on KARMA. And, unlike CHIMERA, the amazing Kristy Thirsks can be heard on several unforgettable songs.
This CD is one of my favorites of all time. It played a big part of my life back then and even after almost 7 years, I never get tired of it and the music still sounds as fresh and innovative as they did back in 1997!

Chimera
Chimera
Price: CDN$ 19.68
27 used & new from CDN$ 6.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, this CD is terrible!, Jan. 5 2004
This review is from: Chimera (Audio CD)
I've been a long time fan of Delerium. The first album I bought was Semantic Spaces and it was on audio cassette!!! I've been following their music (and Front Line Assembly) ever since and after listening to Chimera, I can't believe how bad this CD is. The guys should have just created a new project and released almost all of the songs under this new project because this is NOT Delerium. The only two tracks I like are the last two, Eternal Odyssey and Returning, featuring the fantastic Kristy Thirsk. But even Eternal Odyssey is half terrible since it contains a sample of classical music. CHEESY!!!!!! Forever After is not bad but even that track is too pop-like for me.
And the other tracks? Boy, are they bad, in a cafe house, kitschy new agey groovy "women with angel-like voices" kind of way. It almost sounds like Britney Spears trying to be "spiritual". The worst track is certainly Magic, featuring Julee Cruise. What the hell?!?! I thought I was in a Pink Panther/Henri Mancini/Blake Edwards movie from the 1960s. And what's hip hop samples doing on a Delerium CD?
Bland, laughable, completely misguided CD. Buy anything from Delerium that was made before this kooky disaster.

Tri Repetae++
Tri Repetae++
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 52.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 50.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Aural sculpturing, Dec 7 2003
This review is from: Tri Repetae++ (Audio CD)
Autechre's Tri Repetae++ is a must have for anyone who's into ambient/techno music. It's solid from beginning to end. There isn't a bad track to be found on the two CDs. Though some tracks stand out more than others (vletrmx21 is probably the one you've heard on some internet radio channels), the whole thing is balanced and original, never boring. Excellent background music when I paint or draw, or just when I'm in a certain mood.

Ladies & Gentleman
Ladies & Gentleman
Offered by Music on the Web
Price: CDN$ 6.18
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Huh?, Dec 7 2003
This review is from: Ladies & Gentleman (Audio CD)
Half of the songs on this CD are good. Not great, just good. But the other half is really terrible, near amateurish. Feels like someone fiddling with a computer creating whatever sounds & music, nothing more. I really wonder why Taylor Savvy was proclaimed the #1 most influential personality in SHIFT magazine a couple of years ago.

Page: 1 | 2