Profile for Christopher Ware > Reviews

Content by Christopher Ware

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Christopher Ware (Fremont, CA United States)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18
Skull And Bones
Skull And Bones
Price: CDN$ 9.43
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from the Hill., June 28 2000
This review is from: Skull And Bones (Audio CD)
Once again, the Hill drops an album that will get lots of play in my CD changer. Muggs' production is up to its usual level of excellence and it's great to see Sen Dog get more time to shine than usual. B-Real...well, what can you say about B-Real...keepin' it real as always.
On Disc 1, the standout songs are SUPERSTAR (RAP), WHAT U WANT FROM ME, and WORLDWIDE. These three have a common theme regarding being a successful band. The first one concerns what it takes to be one, the second has to do with how people treat you when you are one, and the third talks about what it's like to be one. CAN I GET A HIT is the obligatory song about the Hill's favorite pastime.
The second disc...well, I'm glad they had the courage to experiment. The songs on this disc are all accompanied by hard core rock music. Not many bands would have the cojones to try this. Most of the songs are really good. They managed to pull it off and it sounds great.
If you're a Cypress Hill fan, this album will not disappoint.

Girls Girls Girls
Girls Girls Girls
Price: CDN$ 25.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 18.32

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their two best., June 28 2000
This review is from: Girls Girls Girls (Audio CD)
This is the album that got me into Motley Crue. The first two songs, WILD SIDE and GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS just set the stage for the rest of the album. The rippin' guitars of Mick Mars and Vince Neil's unique vocal sound are what truly make this album great. ALL IN THE NAME OF... is a salute to rock n' roll that just blows you away. I especially like their remake of Elvis Presley's JAILHOUSE ROCK...it's a lot faster than the original and a real blast. A definite must have.

Dr. Feelgood (Rm) (W/1 Prev Un
Dr. Feelgood (Rm) (W/1 Prev Un
Price: CDN$ 25.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Their last good album., June 28 2000
I always had a hard time deciding which Motley Crue album I liked better: this or GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS. They used to be one of my favorite bands. Their two releases since this album have been pretty disappointing. You have to go back to get the good stuff. This album is pure Crue. The powerful guitars, the slamming drum beats, and Vince Neil's vocals...all combine to turn this album into a rip roaring masterpiece of rock. DR. FEELGOOD, RATTLESNAKE SHAKE, and KICKSTART MY HEART will just blow you away. It also contains one of the best rock ballads of all time: WITHOUT YOU. A must have for any Crue fan.

Shorty the Pimp
Shorty the Pimp
Price: CDN$ 9.93
25 used & new from CDN$ 5.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Too Sheezie's best album, June 28 2000
This review is from: Shorty the Pimp (Audio CD)
This is, by far, Too Short's best album. The whole thing is full of his unique, laid back flow and Yay Area beats. IN THE TRUNK and I AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT A DOG are the best songs, epitomizing Short's lifestyle. IN THE TRUNK has the funkiest beat, and the bass...you get submerged in it. The production on the whole album is tight and Short Dog lays it all out for the world to see: the Oaktown lifestyle. He's an Oakland Vet and wants everybody to know it. This is a no compromise album and one of the best in my collection.

Night Shift
Night Shift
by Stephen King
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Most were good, a few were disappointing., June 27 2000
Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. This is only the second book of short stories that I've read by him. The other is NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES. This one was much better. In King's novels, he takes a long time to set up the story and build the characters. In his short stories, he doesn't have that luxury, but he still manages to do both beautifully. The characters are vivid and the stories progress smoothly, just pulling you in. My favorites were JERUSALEM'S LOT, TRUCKS, CHILDREN OF THE CORN, and ONE FOR THE ROAD. Then there was QUITTERS, INC. which was quite Hitchcockian...totally unexpected stuff. Even the ones that I didn't care for too much were well done. This is a must read for any King fan and I also recommend it to anybody looking for a good scare.

Mount Dragon
Mount Dragon
by Douglas Preston
Price: CDN$ 10.82
87 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put this book down., June 26 2000
Preston and Child really know how to take the reader on a roller coaster ride. I finished this book in a couple of days...mainly because I found it extremely difficult to put down. At the end of each chapter, I wanted to keep reading so I could find out what happened next. These two are becoming a couple of my favorite authors.
The biohazard novel is nothing new. However, these two authors have managed to transform it into a gripping, realistic story. They are similar to Michael Crichton in that they take actual science, stretch the bounds of reality a little, and come up with something so believable that it's scary. The story they've crafted around the science is a wonder to read. The characters are believable, the story is gripping, and the climax is fulfilling. I would recommend this book to anybody who's into science thrillers or action movies.

The Forever War
The Forever War
by Joe Haldeman
15 used & new from CDN$ 17.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece., June 26 2000
This is an interesting dichotomy...the book is straightforward with simplistic writing. It's easy to understand and a joy to read. At the same time, I'd have to consider it a literary masterpiece. Haldeman's first person account of war (futuristic, galactic war) is an effective, emotional book that drags you in and won't let go. The first person approach lets you really sympathize with the main character and also illustrates the chaos of a battlefield. The tribulations that the main character goes through shows just how impersonal the military is. The army owns this man...he has no control over his ultimate destiny. He is a G.I.: Government Issue. The government/military issue him his life. It reminds me of a quote from Damon Wayans' MAJOR PAYNE: "If the Marines wanted me to have a wife, they'd'a issued me one."
I've heard that Haldeman wrote this book as an allegory for the Vietnam War. I never got the chance to study that period of time very well, but I can assume he hit the mark from what I do know.
Aside from the literary value of this book, it is a romping sci-fi novel that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and doesn't let go. A very enjoyable read.

Charlie Hustle: The Blueprint of a Self-Made Millionaire
Charlie Hustle: The Blueprint of a Self-Made Millionaire
Price: CDN$ 39.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 26.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his greatest album, but still good., June 22 2000
The only problem I had with this album was the fact that, on the majority of the songs, 40 utilizes that style of his where's he's rapping a million miles an hour and you can hardly understand what he's sayin'. That style's good on two or three songs on an album, but much more than that and I get kinda tired of it.
The production on this album was off the hook, as usual. 40 hooks up the Yay Area sound all damn day!
BALLAHOLIC, CAUSE I CAN, and BIG BALLIN' WITH MY HOMIES (is this a salute to Mix-A-Lot or a ripoff?) are the best tracks on the album. They blend the beats and the lyrical style better than any of the others.
If you're a fan of Foursheezie and the Yay Area sound, this will definitely be a hit. A good album overall.

Girl, Interrupted
Girl, Interrupted
VHS
6 used & new from CDN$ 16.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting in a way..., June 19 2000
This review is from: Girl, Interrupted (VHS Tape)
It seems to me that this movie lacked any significant plot. It was more like one of those movies that are just telling an anecdote about a portion of the main character's life. There's no real ultimate goal being strived for. We're just watching the characters as they go throughout their lives in this...it's not really an asylum, but I can't think of a better word.
Winona Ryder gave a good performance as the lead character. Probably the best acting job I've seen her do. Angelina Jolie stole the show, though, with her portrayal of the psychotic and, at times, heartless Lisa. Her Academy Award nomination was well deserved. Whoopi Goldberg also does a very good job in her minor supporting role.
The acting in this film was good, but the lack of plot kind of dragged the film down, IMHO. It was an entertaining movie to watch, but I don't think I'd want to own it.

The Magic Engineer: Recluce #3
The Magic Engineer: Recluce #3
by L. E. Modesitt
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading this., June 19 2000
Since the first book, Modesitt's writing has been getting better and better. By that, I mean his characters are being developed better and his storytelling was improving. The confusion I felt reading the first book has slowly decreased throughout the series. This book was on the verge of earning four stars.
The character development in this book was better than the first two installments in the Recluce series. I found myself caring for what happened to them. I still think the story gets a little slow in the middle of the book (the same is true for the first two). It's almost as if the author has a hard time developing characters and furthering the plot at the same time. The first third sets up the story and introduces the plot, the middle third is all character development with hardly any plot, and the last third contains most of the plot as well as the climax (in this case, there were two climaxes...I'm still trying to figure out which was the main one) and resolution.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It seemed to get a little slow in the middle, but seeing the characters grow was almost worth it. With the improvement in this book, the next one is that much more enticing. I'm really getting into the story he's trying to tell in the series.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18