ARRAY(0xb72f1bb8)

Profile for V. Bell > Reviews

Content by V. Bell

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

V. Bell (Fort Hood, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
SM 101: A Realistic Introduction
SM 101: A Realistic Introduction
by Jay Wiseman
31 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Introduction to SM, April 12 2004
This is a wonderful 'starter' book for those new to SM. I can not claim to know how a veteran player might feel about it, as I am still a novice in the realm of BDSM. I picked this book up, as well as Different Loving, initially for my boyfriend. We have a very open, communicative relationship and our trust level is very high, but he seemed to feel that my sexual preferences were, to say the least, disturbed. I was having a terrible time trying to convey to him that BDSM can be a very caring, loving, and almost spiritual experience between two individuals who truly care about each other's well being. This book has helped our communication and experimentation tremendously. The autor has a very straightforward aproach to an extremely taboo topic. I can not imagine the courage it took to make a leap of faith into the public press as he did. He stresses safety very strongly (which in my opinion is highly commendable), gives basic instruction on methods of delivering, and receiving forms of erotic pain, bondage and other aspects of BDSM. It is very much a 'how to' beginner's manual for people interested in exploring the realm of sexual dominance and submission. I highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking of exploring this realm of alternative sexuality, as well as for those who are already well established in their sexual preferences. I am sure that even those who think they know everything could find use for this book. Even if it is used as a means to help educate others who are unaware of what BDSM is actually about. I also reccomend Different Loving in addition to this book. Where SM 101 is a how to guide, Different Loving explores the mentality and psychology of those involved in BDSM relationships. They make wonderful companion books in exploring the total experience.

Different Loving: A Complete Exploration of the World of Sexual Dominance and Submission
by William Brame
Price: CDN$ 20.65
38 used & new from CDN$ 4.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Overview, March 18 2004
Personally, I am not new to the concept of D/s, but I am new to the idea that there are more, many more, people who share the same sexual/lifestyle tendancies as myself. This book is not a how-to, it is not a guide, it is more a psychological, or psychosexual if you prefer, venture that attempts to give an overview of many of the aspects of D/s and S/M. Granted, there is a lot of lumping together, and generalization, but when you are dealing with something as varied and as individual as D/s experiences and practices, it is hard to itemize every single one. On the whole I was very impressed with the book. It covered aspects of D/s that I am familar with, others that I was not, and the interviews gave voice to the individuality that the book in and of its self was not able to convey. Since I am not a veteran of D/s, I can not say whether or not such people would find the book very helpful or intriguing, but for a novice, just taking her first baby steps into the realm of alternate sexuality, it was an eye opening experience, and made huge strides towards easing my feelings of being alone, or abnormal. Even if you aren't interested in D/s specifically, but are a student of human behavior, mentality and sexuality, I would reccomend it. It is very candid and straightforward in its approach, using language that is not so highly technical to be baffling. But, at the same time, it is not written down to the reader. Again, a highly recommended read.

Mine to Take (Futuristic Romance)
Mine to Take (Futuristic Romance)
by Dara Joy
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm still amused....., March 8 2004
Ok... I hate romances... really, I hate them. Or, I thought I did. I was spending the weekend with a friend and had (unusually) forgotten to bring a book along to read before bed. I was very VERY hesitant to borrow one of hers, as she seems to only read romance novels. My experience with them in the past has been that they are generally full of static characters that can't string a complete sentence together, raunchy sex scenes and little to no plot. My friend handed me this one, laughing at the repulsed expression on my face and said "I promise, you'll like this one." So, seeing as how there really was nothing else to read, I gave it a shot... and then couldn't put it down. The characters were actually well developed, the plot wasn't based around their sexual acts, rather their sexual acts seemed to be a result of the plot. The banter between the characters often had be laughing out loud. Even if you are like I once was and think all romance novels should be piled up in the street and burned for rubbish, give this one a shot. It was good enough that I actually borrowed the rest of the series, read them, and enjoyed them as well.

And Then You Die
And Then You Die
by Iris Johansen
Price: CDN$ 9.99
93 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth borrowing from the library at the very least, March 8 2004
Ok, so the main characters have some baggage, and the CIA assasin seems to be a little limp in the spine department when it comes to the heroine of the tale, it is still a wonderfully written book that kept me turning pages in spite of the somewhat unbelievable characters. C'mon people, it's fiction, what do we expect? You have to give wiggle room for creative license. You enter the book with Bess Grady snapping pictures at a massacre in Danzar. It sickens her to the point of a nervous break down. She decided to take a 'safe' assignment shooting a vacation article in the small town of Tenajo, Mexico. She ends up toppling head over heals into the middle of a plot to wreak havoc and disaster on the US. She lands up to her neck in trouble, but proves her mettle again and again with the help of one shady individual by the name of Kaldak who one minute is second in command of the terrorist faction, and the next is dragging her, unwilling and fighting all the way, back to safety. There are several unexpected twists and turns, and you aren't quite sure what to expect each time you turn the page. I am generally not a fan of drama based on real life. I lean more towards fantasy, thriller, and horror when I wander through a book store. But, based on this book, I would be very willing to read more of Johansen's work.

Stock Market Orgasm
Stock Market Orgasm
by Ava Cadell
9 used & new from CDN$ 21.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Just say no...., March 7 2004
This review is from: Stock Market Orgasm (Paperback)
I imagine this book would've been highly informative, and possibly highly entertaining when put to practical use... if it weren't for the fact that on about 30 or 40 pages, all at key points in the explanation of a particular tactic or technique, the bottom portion of the page is cut off. Apparantly when this book was printed, they decided it would be amusing to leave out all the key information that people actually bought the book for. I was, needless to say, rather upset when the first copy came in like this, but when the second copy came in and had the exact same mis-prints as the first, I was a little more than upset or disappointed. But to top it off, when I specifically asked for a store credit instead of a replacement, and got a replacement anyway, I was even more upset. This is a waste of time, and money, and if it were possible to give it no stars, I would.

The Golden Age of Grotesque
The Golden Age of Grotesque
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 50.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome!, May 16 2003
When I first encountered Marilyn Manson, I wasn't very impressed, I thought the group would end up being another inarticulate screaming bunch of metal maniacs with no deapth or reason for thier music. But, for some strange reason, I kept listening. As his popularity and infamy has grown, so has the window that Manson allows us to see him through. In 'The Golden Age of Grotesque' that window becomes enormous. It is like looking into Manson's soul for the duration of the cd. And, maybe, if you listen close enough, you will find that the man inside the monster society sees, really isn't such a monster after all, maybe he's a man, with human pain, human anger, and human pride in his creation and his beliefs.

Vittorio, the Vampire
Vittorio, the Vampire
by Anne Rice
Price: CDN$ 9.49
79 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps she is running out of ideas...?, April 9 2002
Vittorio was definitely not of the same calibur as the earlier Vampire Chronicles. He wasn't as vivid and alive. The story was ok... not great, but ok. It is a little more fanciful than the others. More out there in the wide world of dark fantasy. Vittorio's tale isn't quite as believable as the others were. If you haven't read any of the other chronicles yet, this one would probably be a good read, but when put up against The Vampire Lestat, Interview With a Vampire etc. it just doesn't hold up.

The Mummy or Ramses the Damned
The Mummy or Ramses the Damned
by Anne Rice
Price: CDN$ 9.89
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Blessedly Different, April 9 2002
I bought this book expecting it to be about vampires, as usual. I mean, honestly, when you think Anne Rice, you think Vampires. They go together kind of like cookies and milk. But, as I got into The Mummy, I realized it was not the typical vampire story I was expecting. It opened my eyes a bit, and got me looking for more books by Rice that are not amidst the Vampire Chronicles. I was definitely pleasantly surprised :)

Vampire Diaries #4 Dark Reunion
Vampire Diaries #4 Dark Reunion
by L J Smith
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Should've left well enough alone, April 9 2002
The previous three books were wonderful. I think I read all three of them in a single day. Then there was this one... Granted, if the author had left this book off, and stayed with the origional trilogy, the story would've ended on a bittersweet note. Two feuding brothers reuinited by the sacrifice of their love. Dark Reunion delves into areas not previously explored by the other three books. It takes the series to a totally different frame, dives over a cliff, and lads WAY out in left field. Reading this book after reading the other three is sort of like getting really close to a lovely bed of roses to sniff the perfume, and suddenly coming across a pile of somthing foul.

Sleeping Beauty Trilogy Boxed Set
Sleeping Beauty Trilogy Boxed Set
by A. N. Roquelaure Anne Rice
15 used & new from CDN$ 44.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but unimaginitive., April 9 2002
If you read the first book, you have pretty much read all three. Unfortunately, I went out and bought the box set. I read the first book, and it was ok... not very imaginitive or erotic if you ask me, but the goal was for the author to write down her own fantasies, not mine. When I finished the first book and moved on to the second... I thought I was reading a carbon copy of the first. The only real difference in the books is the location where they take place. The third book is different than the other two, and two me the best and most erotic of the three, but again... It wasn't as imaginitive or thrilling as I had hoped.

Page: 1 | 2