Profile for Lindsey Brage > Reviews

Content by Lindsey Brage

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lindsey Brage

Page: 1 | 2
The Lotus and the Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha
The Lotus and the Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha
by Ravi Zacharias
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for lay ministry, Aug. 6 2002
While this book probably would not engage a Christian who already has studied Buddhism and comparative religion, I find myself recommending this work very often in three main ways:
1. to Christians in lay ministry who are interested in learning about Buddhism's comparison to Christianity
2. to Buddhists, to help non-confrontationally show them the differences between the etchings of Buddha and the teachings of Jesus.
3. to "New Age" or pantheistic believers who claim that Jesus and Buddha taught the same things. Ravi delves fairly deeply into this specific topic and shows how they are not just superficially, but intrinsically different.
The book is very informative but not exhaustive. The last several pages are very evangelistic in nature- making it a great book to give away. If you are a Christian who wants to delve into comparative religion, it's not for you. If you are a lay person who simply wants to understand who Buddha was, and the philosophy behind Buddhism- you won't find a better book.
I am giving the book 5 stars not only because I think it is the most useful, versatile book I have read in some time, but also because it is written in an entertainingly engaging way that brings Zacharias's philosophy down to a very basic, personal level which most people, Christians and non-Christians, will be much more capable of grasping and putting to use in their life.

Out on a Whim
Out on a Whim
by David Meurer
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If this guy wasn't married, I'd throw myself at him, April 26 2002
This review is from: Out on a Whim (Paperback)
I found this book while shelving books for a private library one day- I opened it and couldn't bear to put it down to finish my work, so I had to borrow it. I don't remember the last time a book made me laugh out loud, but I read this one to my friends on the way home that day and we laughed hysterically the whole time.
He's better than a Christian Dave Berry. He's funny and he's really got his head on straight thologically- I learned so much in between busting my gut- particularly in the chapter called "Without a Prayer"
Definitely a 5-star work. I can't wait to read more.

365 Simple Pleasures
365 Simple Pleasures
by Susannah Seton
Price: CDN$ 17.56
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars most disappointing, Jan. 5 2002
This review is from: 365 Simple Pleasures (Paperback)
It has been a long time since I picked up a book that I found thoroughly useless. I don't enjoy giving a bad review, but I'd also hate for another user to waste their money on this book. This is an excellent example of how you should NOT judge a book by the cover (The cover is beautiful... but the content just doesn't live up to it.)
If you'd like to know 27 different ways to take a bath, or 364 ways to use lavendar, read this book- otherwise avoid it. I don't know about you, but I don't need to buy a book to remind me to hug someone on November 15. Not only was the book just useless- I found grammatical errors!
The book is a pale imitation of a Martha Stewart "How To" book. If I had not received it as a gift I would return it immediately.

Reckless Driver
Reckless Driver
by Lisa Vice
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars haunting, Dec 8 2001
This review is from: Reckless Driver (Hardcover)
I fist read this book shortly after it was first published, and like few books published within my lifetime, I continue to read it every few years or so and each time take away something different. The story haunts me and calls me to reread it, searching for another level.
The story takes place from the perspective of little Lana. At first her narrative is unfocused, but as she grows so does her perception of her surroundings and her family. This novel is a comment on smalltown life and tells of personally of the sad reality of children living in a fallen world.

John: From Biblical Text...To Contemporary Life
John: From Biblical Text...To Contemporary Life
by Gary Burge
Price: CDN$ 26.95
32 used & new from CDN$ 26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible, Nov. 3 2001
I found this book incredibly helpful to my personal and academic study of the book of John. This commentary is the most helpful and the most applicable I think I have ever seen. It is so insightful, and allows even a casual reader to delve into the scripture to discover what these words ment to Jesus and how they can be applicable to our lives today. I read John very much differently than I did before readign this book. I give it an A+

Complete Chronicles Of Narnia
Complete Chronicles Of Narnia
by C S Lewis
11 used & new from CDN$ 30.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter's cool, older cousin, Nov. 3 2001
A timless classic that Harry Potter will never equal, Lewis weaves his incredible philosophies into fairy tales you wish would just never end. I am twenty and have read these books repeatedly since I was a child, these books led me into a love of philosophy (particularly lewis's). I see my life reflected in these books- and everything I ever loved or felt comforted by in the character of Aslan. I recommend these books for children and adults, some of my most vivid philosophical realizations have come through my adult readings of these books.

The Abolition Of Man
The Abolition Of Man
by C S Lewis
Price: CDN$ 11.54
32 used & new from CDN$ 3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Nov. 3 2001
This review is from: The Abolition Of Man (Paperback)
Although this is probably the Lewis book most thick with philosophy, and is a bit difficult to read, it is defnitely my favorite. Since reading this book I have been haunted by Lewis's theory that in attemp to control nature we only gain control over our fellow men.
Lewis proposes that the philosophy of moral relativism, guised as freedom, is actually an archetype for enslavement for both those controlled, and those controlling. If society is reduced to no values, power becomes the only thing worth attaining. Those in power, unchecked by morals, have the ability and freedom to manipulate the subjects in any way they choose. Lewis is saying that man, in his attempt to make progress, learns to control more and more of nature. However, in his attempt to control nature he only gains control over fellow men. In giving up the Tao and allowing himself to do this, man succumbs to cruel nature which, as is obvious by this pattern, he has no control over at all.

Letters from the Inside
Letters from the Inside
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, but juvinile., Nov. 3 2001
This book is good, but probably for a younger target age than advertised.

13th Gen: Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?
13th Gen: Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?
by Neil Howe
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars phew, Nov. 3 2001
A very negative review of my generation. This book portrays a negative outlook for the 13th gen, but in drawing this conclusion totally disregards any evidence which might lead to an alternative conclusion. This book has no redeeming value as literature. In reading, one got the impression that this book was tossed together using whatever might be mildly relevant just as an addition to the author's resume.

The Original Warm Fuzzy Tale
The Original Warm Fuzzy Tale
by Claude Steiner
15 used & new from CDN$ 43.89

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, Aug. 29 2001
I absolutely love this book! Growing up hearing the "warm fuzzy story" told to me by verbal storytelling, I was delighted to find this book in print. I have used it to read many children to sleep at summer camps and overnights and have bought several copies to give away. This is an endearing story with a wonderful, positive message that kids CAN change the world and the illustrations are just TOO cute!

Page: 1 | 2